Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: What do morning prayers look like Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 15 2009 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Sometimes morning prayers are done together other times individually as we all seem to be moving in different directions now that I have "almost newborn" to teens and all ages in between. We often say our morning prayers and travel prayers together on the way to daily Mass or some other outing.

"My God, I offer you this day,
All I do or think or say.
Uniting it with what was done,
On earth by Jesus Christ Your Son.

My God, I believe, I trust, I adore and I love Thee.
I beg pardon for those who do not believe, do not trust, do not adore and do not love Thee.

Then Angel of God

Then we ask each of our Guardian Angels to pray for us:

Momma's Guardian Angel: Pray for us!
Baby's Guardian Angel: Pray for us!
and so on.

All ye angel and saints: pray for us!

Jesus have mercy on the Poor Souls in Purgatory. Eternal rest...

We're working on all the lines of "Holy God We Praise Thy Name" right now for our hymn.

If my 18 yo son is around, he likes to read to us the Magnificat daily readings. I can't seem to do it well on my own as I'm working on keeping everyone still and reverent.

If we're all together, we gather in front of our little altar with the statue of Our Lady of Fatima.

It's pretty short and sweet as we do other prayers throughout the day.

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 5:15am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Praying a decade of the Rosary

Reading from the Bible for a few minutes(Hebrews right now for us) which usually leads into reading

The Catechism of the Catholic Church and

intentions for our loved ones, friends, family, etc.

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

At table before b-fast we say:

Dear God, now that I start my day, I offer you my heart and pray. Guide me in everything I do and keep me always close to you.

Then after b-fast...

::St. Michael Prayer (sometimes)
::Specific Prayer that we're memorizing...right now, Memorare
::Litany of the Saints....everyone invokes two or it could go on all day   
::Sing the Guardian Angel Prayer
::Sing Hymn

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

aussieannie wrote:
Then we finish my singing:

"Heart of Jesus I adore Thee, Heart of Mary I implore thee, Heart of the Joseph pure and just, in these three I place my trust!"

aussieannie wrote:
Our Morning Prayers being sung.

Coming back here to say THANK YOU, Anne, for taping that a couple months ago and putting it on youtube!!

We've been singing the "Heart of Jesus" song as our last prayer in the AM, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's so FUN! Great melody and an upbeat way to end morning prayers and LAUNCH us into the frenzy!

(On the rare occasion that dh is around when we do AM prayers, his brow DOES get a bit furrowed with befuddlement and wonder , but then a smile and chuckle materialize. )

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

aussieannie wrote:
We start by singing:

"Good morning dear God, I offer to You, my thoughts, words and actions and all that I do."

Then we sing:

"Mother Mary, Mother Mary, we have flowers pink and blue, Mother Mary we have flowers for you!"

Then we say:

"We offer up our prayers for Poppy, the Holy Souls in Purgatory, Unborn Babies and the Holy Father's intentions."

So that whatever we do from this moment on can be indulgenced, we offer an Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be for the Holy Father's intentions.

To gain an indulgence immediately we say:

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph I give you my heart and my soul.

Jesus, Mary, I love you, save souls!"

Then we sing:

"Angel of God my guardian dear, to whom God's love commits me here, ever this day be at my side to light ang guard, to rule and guide. Amen."

Then we finish my singing:

"Heart of Jesus I adore Thee, Heart of Mary I implore thee, Heart of the Joseph pure and just, in these three I place my trust!"

So alot of singing there, 4 different prayers sung.

Anne, I have on just managed to incorporate the songs you posted into our morning routine, and they are like a breath of fresh air! We've been singing Good Morning Dear God/Mother Mary, and my 3 year old who is such a challenge to me turns into this sweet beaming boy each time we sing it! It melts my heart!

I'm glad I came back to comment, too, because I'd forgotten about the "Heart of Jesus..." song which I will definitely teach them next.

They already say the Guardian Angel prayer at bedtime, so maybe we'll try to learn the melody. I must admit I struggle to recall it whenever it occurs to me to try and teach it, though

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Lovely Lindsay, I'm glad you love them as much as we do! The little children just take to it like little ducks in water in particular. I think too, that this helps tremendously with children singing in pitch when they sing daily in a family setting.

Suzanne I missed your update way back in September! Fantastic, that prayer was taught to us from a catechesis lady in our city, it was a welcome edition to our sung prayers when we first learnt it. Sometimes with the last note, my oldest will go down with it, while the rest sing the high note, I nice contrast.

Lindsay that guardian angel prayer is based roughly on the tune of 'Jesus in Your Heart we find'...don't know if that is a well known US hymn? Or maybe it's an Australian one only..

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bumping because this is such a great thread with lots of wonderful ideas!   I just re-read it to see what we want to change in our morning prayer routine......

If you haven't already, please add your family morning prayer routine....the specifics...what, when, how, where, etc!     

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Beautiful ideas. I needed some fresh ideas. Our morning prayer consists of us reading from Living Faith Kids (the daily reading and the devotion).

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

We have this little prayer book and have been using the morning prayers in it for our guide this year.

We do the Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be, then the specific morning prayer from this book which incorporates acts of faith, hope, and love, a morning offering, prayers for the dead, prayers for our family, and a few others.

After that we pray our little family litany and include the saint of the day.

Then we read from Saints for Young Readers for Everyday or a Catholic Mosaic book.

After that we start right in with our morning basket. We do some tales/virtue stories and learn some hymns among the other things we do during that time.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Oh, and I love the songs!! I am going to have to see if we can incorporate some of those!

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

well my child is an only and he is a young 6 doing k at home so I have him always say the angel of God prayer in the morning and evening. We say the St. Michael prayer before homeschool and a Marian children's prayer as well. Then we usually say the Rosary and I require 1 decade of my son once hubby is home.
Back to Top View dolorsofmary's Profile Search for other posts by dolorsofmary

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

oh you all put me to shame, I'm going to change up my morning prayer routine! Thank you!

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Oh, I've never seen this thread! I'll be reading back. :)

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Well!! I came over to ask a morning offering question and this thread is here at present!

We still say our morning prayers as mentioned previously, above. We have added a communal recitation of St Patrick's Breastplate since then.

But what I'm looking for, is a morning offering for a child, when they first wake in the morning and are still in bed, so not for communal use in the house, just a beautiful prayer to recite as soon as a child is awake.

At night the children recite this beautiful night prayer:

Night is falling dear Mother, long day is o'er;
Before thy image I am kneeling once more
To thank thee for keeping me safe this day,
To ask thee this night to keep evil away.

Many times have I fallen Mother dear;
Many graces neglected since last I knelt here;
Wilt thou not in pity, my own Mother Mild,
Ask Jesus to pardon the sins of thy child?

I am going to sleep now, day's work is done;
Its hours and its moments have passed one by one.
God Who will judge me, has counted them all;
He has numbered each grace, He has counted each fall;

In His book they are written against the last day.
Oh! Mother Ask Jesus to wash them away.
For one drop of His Blood for sinners was spilt,
Is sufficient to cleanse the world of its guilt.

And if er' the dawn I should draw my last breath;
The sleep I take be the long sleep of death;
Be near me Mother for dear Jesus' sake.
When at eternity shore my soul shall awake.

Amen.

I want to find a morning prayer with this sort of beautiful poetry and rhyme....does anyone know of one?

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2011 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

We started a new routine when we moved and it seems to be working well. Our doorbell sounds like church bells so I ring it at 8 AM to wake anyone who isn't up yet (it rings in the hall right outside the children's bedroom so it works well!)

We gather in the living room and start by singing the first verse of Lord of All Hopefullness then we pray a consecration for the day from the 1962 missal
Quote:
"O Lord God, King of heaven and earth, may it please Thee this day to order and to hallow, to rule and to govern our hearts and our bodies, our thoughts, our words and our works, according to Thy law and in the doing of Thy commandments, that we, being helped by Thee, may here and hereafter worthily be saved and delivered by Thee, O Savior of the world, who lives and reigns forever and ever. Amen."
We finish with the Canticle of Zechariah.

At noon I ring the bells again (or tell one of the children to) and we sing the second verse of the song and pray the Angelus.

At dinner time I ring the bells again, we sing the third verse of the song and pray over the meal (which we also do at breakfast and lunch) and at 8 PM I ring the bells again and we sing the last verse of the song and pray our own consolidated version of night prayer
Quote:
"Protect us Lord as we stay awake, watch over us as we sleep, that awake we may keep watch with Christ and asleep rest in His peace. Lord give our bodies restful sleep and let the work we have done today bear fruit in eternal life, we ask this through Christ our Lord. May the all powerful God grant us a restful night and a peaceful death in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2011 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Love the bell idea! We have enormous chimes in our foyer that play westminster, and this might keep me from resenting them (my husband LOVES them, they came with the house).

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2011 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I love your plan, Michele! It sounds just lovely. We have a chiming doorbell at our new house too, and the kids would just love it if I rang it for meals/prayers. I'll definitely be trying that this week.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2011 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

CrunchyMom wrote:
Love the bell idea! We have enormous chimes in our foyer that play westminster, and this might keep me from resenting them (my husband LOVES them, they came with the house).
Ohh I'd love to hear them!

Our bell actually has several different tunes, The Star Spangled Banner, Happy Birthday, Jingle Bells, Joy to the World, Dixie Land and a few others along with a standard gong and traditional doorbell ding dong but we like the church bells best.

DominaCaeli wrote:
I love your plan, Michele! It sounds just lovely. We have a chiming doorbell at our new house too, and the kids would just love it if I rang it for meals/prayers. I'll definitely be trying that this week.

Just bear in mind that a neighbor, walking his dog by your house, just when you open the front door to ring the bell, will very likely look at you as though you are crazy. I'm just sayin' . . .

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2011 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

MicheleQ wrote:
Just bear in mind that a neighbor, walking his dog by your house, just when you open the front door to ring the bell, will very likely look at you as though you are crazy. I'm just sayin' . . .

As if I weren't getting enough funny looks walking my brood around the neighborhood...

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 23 2011 at 5:01am | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

well I have used many of the suggestions here and thank you so much, I changed morning prayer with my son from 1 Angel of God prayer to quite a few prayers (but really they are like youtube prayers) now before you say anything, let me say, I am a very very bad singer and so youtube is so much better and I just let it do its thing and I sing very lightly so not to drown it out iwth my bad singing.

and my son HATES it! I think he is just a winey baby really about it. He is 6 yo. and he tries hard to get out of it.

Here is what we do:
Good Morning Dear God... with picture and singing in background (from aussieannie, link as I have pmed you I LOVE your youtube! yes you have created a monster)
Mother Mary ... with picture and singing in background
Angel of God ... with picture and singing in backgroud
Heart of Jesus... with Picture and singing in background
link
(cute morning prayer video 2 minutes)
link
cute angel of peace prayer video
Mommy's guardian angel prayer for us!
Daddy's ....
child's ....
(along with picture of guardian angel)
pictures of all of our patron saints and we say st. Andrew pray for us, St. Rose pray for us, etc. 6 saints total with 6 pictures
all ye angels and saints ... (short prayer almost ejaculation and picture)
Eternal rest... (picture and possible youtube for prayer for souls in purgatory) (2 minute youtube which he enjoys actually)
st. michael prayer with link (not for the faint of heart, my son LOVES hero stuff so all this music and stuff is FOR HIM)
then we pray for our the pope's intentions and say 1 Our father, 1 hail Mary and 1 Glory be
2 ejaculations
and finally becuase it is sept. we look at the 7 pictures of the 7 sorrows of mary and 1 say 1 hail Mary total
and finally we bless everyone in our immediate family (3), grand parents and quick mention of extended family for God's blessing.

I personally don't think it is that bad, my son acts like he hates it BUT he loves the videos I show still to keep interest in. I want to start the day with beauty to the ear and eye and raising the mind to God. Yes it does seem long I know but I really don't think it is that long. It could be a LOT shorter IF I didn't have the videos (each are 2 minutes) but then he would like it even less. I always ask him if he wants to see the video and he says yes, about 1/2 way through it he seems more interested in it, but to get him started he tries hard to get me to tweak it. I do not give in, every morning now for 2 weeks hehas given me a hard time and I have had to use threats to get him into it.

btw I have all of this in a word file and I just page through it with pictures and links and we do it almost every morning (weekends things get mixed up often) but outside of that almost without fail. It is very easy and quick to go through and convenient for me. I do not like how my son wines about it and sometimes I wonder, am I asking too much and then I'm like, naaahhhh, its just a few or ok several prayers but stilllll he is being homeschooled and tough he's my kid, he had better put up with it.

Your thoughts? I know the first response will be to shorten it up. I could but well I don't know, he likes the videos. I wonder if his tactic first thing is just really (as he states) to just go back to 1 Angel of God prayer and be done with it. I think he is trying to break me down but its not working. Maybe if I give it another week I hope he will finally stop his act.

Your thoughts?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version