Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Their Hearts are His Garden Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 08 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I am sure I have asked this before but could not find my thread from a few years ago.

This has been on my list forever - still have not got it. Does anyone really recommend it? I am feeling motivated as I got Angel Food after years of the books being on my list - and finally got them last month and everyone from the 2 year old to the 12 year old really LOVES them. (we had planned on using them for family evening devotions with our "catechism with daddy" - and then found Jen's awesome sheets tying it all together - really works well)

What age are the stories geared to?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Carrie A
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 08 2009 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Carrie A

Marilyn,
Your post caught my eye - I love this book and wrote a review of it a few years ago for a local newsletter. Here's that review:
       Their Hearts are His Garden is a true gem and I’m so excited my family has discovered it. My son received it from his godparents this past Christmas and we’ve just begun to work through it. It is a 1940 reprint by Neumann Press of a collection of charming catechetical stories for children (older pre-school and younger elementary aged children) by Sister Mary Marguerite, C.S.J. The book is divided into different sections covering topics such as basic beliefs, virtues and the liturgical year.
     In the introduction Sister Mary Marguerite reflects on what it would be like to see Jesus resting on a hillside after proclaiming the Beatitudes. All the children anxiously break away from their parents and crowd lovingly around Jesus, talking with Him and asking Him questions. As they leave Jesus, His blessings still ringing in their ears, she explains “Their lives are different for having known Him. All those they meet they bless with His own blessing. His love is in their hearts and in their lives. They live for Him.” It is inspiring in think of children, full of Christ’s love, living consciously for Him. This is the essence the author brings into each of her short stories.
     The first part covers basic truths for young children to know. Some of my favorites are on Baptism, explaining both the sacrament and the day as a spiritual birth-day. In “Margaret’s Birthday in God’s Church” she has a dream where angels are dancing around singing “She is a child of God, a child of God!” because it is her birthday in God’s church. Margaret then runs to her Heavenly Father’s throne and has a sweet conversation with our Lord, leaving her blissfully happy, knowing she is God’s little child. This story left me with a beautiful example of the intimate and familiar relationship children can have with God the Father.
     I have found the section on virtues particularly helpful in discouraging my four year-old’s bad habits. A couple of stories on telling the truth have come in handy for me to emphasize my words, with some examples of what to do and what not to do. There are also some stories on particular saints and many on Mary. The stories attached to the liturgical year cover unique days, not often found in other childrens books. These include All Saints’ and All Souls’ days, the flight into Egypt, Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, Easter, the Ascension, Pentecost and the Assumption.
The beauty of these stories is the truth and simplicity with which they are told. They include lessons but are always connected personally to the child’s life. While explaining the Assumption of our Blessed Mother, the narrator describes, “Then [Jesus] took her to her throne, where she is now waiting for us.   She still watches over Jesus’ friends; she loves them and wants to help them. She whispers, especially to little children, as she did to Peter, ‘Pray and wait until you are big. Then, when you are confirmed, the Holy Ghost will make you brave and strong and help you to get to Heaven.’”
Our children are precious and impressionable. The can so easily be swayed and influenced by bad examples as well as good. This book is a wonderful tool to help Catholic parents sew the seeds of faith and a relationship with our Lord. It is also a great weapon to combat all of the empty images our society often offers our children. Thanks be to God for wholesome, holy stories that lift up our hearts and make the hearts of our children into fertile ground for God to cultivate into His beautiful garden.
Back to Top View Carrie A's Profile Search for other posts by Carrie A

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 08 2009 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I agree with Carrie A.'s review completely!! I read Their Hearts are His Garden to my 4yo. It is written in a very gentle, lovely, engaging way and could be read with ease from 4 - 7 ish years old. My 8 yo still likes to sit and listen.

I use this book as well as many of the other books (some reprinted by Neumann) as my entire religious education program up until the 2nd grade when we begin FHC preparation. I don't use a religion text. I find these gentle stories are such a lovely way to approach Our Lord and Our Lady with tender, young hearts.

So, for Preschool, Kindergarten, and 1st grade I use the following (not all at once - a little each year):

** Their Hearts are His Garden by Sister Mary Marguerite (Neumann Press)
** Manners in God's House by Sister M. Juliana of the Maryknoll Sisters (Neumann Press)
** Illustrated Catechism for Little Children (Neumann Press)
** Jesus and Mary - The Lives of Jesus and Mary and the Story of Fatima by Father Gales (Neumann Press)
** Angel Food for Boys and Girls by Father Gerald Brennan (Neumann Press)
** The Catholic Children's Treasure Box Books edited by the Maryknoll Sisters (TAN)
** My Jesus and I by the Sisters of Mary Immaculate of Bishop Morrow
** Leading the Little Ones to Mary by Sister Mary Lelia (Montfort Publications)
** God's Love Story by Sister Mary Jane Frances
** Small Acts of Kindness by James Vollbracht
** Miniature Stories of the Saints by Rev. Daniel Lord
** Saints biographies found at Neumann Press
** Saints and Friendly Beasts Series at Neumann Press
** Catholic Mosaic (Hillside)

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you invest in this book, Marilyn!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2009 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I use many in Jen's list. There are also a few OOP treasures we love. I know I'm missing a few we use, but the ones that come to mind

The Catholic Mother's Helper in Training Her Children by Sister Mary, IHM, Sister Mary Roberta, OP, and Sister Mary Rosary, OP.

Little Stories about God by Mary Reynolds McDonald

Stories to Learn By by Father John Koenig

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2009 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

I'm planning to use this book with my 5 and 6 year olds (and anyone else listening in ). It looks like a great book and I'm excited to use it, but I don't have a review for you since I haven't used it yet. It seems a bit young for my 10 and 9 year old, just looking over it quickly, but they may still listen in and enjoy it.

God bless,
Christine

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2009 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thank you so much for the reviews, and Jen for the list you use. I actually have many of the Neumann Press ones on my list - Linda at Sacred Heart Books and I have been discussing them for a while. But you have convinced me about Their Hearts are His Garden.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version