Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: How Catholic is your curriculum? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 13 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Wanted to add that the first one among us to get their hands on a copy of CHC's High School of Your Dreams, PLEASE let us know what it looks like!

God bless!

~ Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

time4tea wrote:
Wanted to add that the first one among us to get their hands on a copy of CHC's High School of Your Dreams, PLEASE let us know what it looks like!

God bless!

~ Tea

Yes! I'm dying to know how it is! We have a 13yo son, so I will probably order it as soon as possible, because I'll want to plan out his high schooling, at least through next year.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2006 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Here's my quick summary of what I've read here with the hope that you'll fill in what I forgot or correct where I'm wrong.

Make faith a part of your life not just a part of your school.

Use Catholic materials or adapt them to a Catholic perspective.

Be willing to listen to what your kids have to say. Don't throw things out just because they don't appeal to you, and don't keep them in just because they do (within reason).

Don't try to hide the difficult truths, but be mindful of when to introduce and discuss them.

Don't lay down the law. Have a conversation.

Anything I missed? It may seem funny to do this, but it's easier for me to remember a "recipe" than try to remember this great comment here and that great one there and scroll back through when I forget.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2006 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I hope I am not jumping in too late on this topic. It is such an interesting one, and I am grateful to Rachel for starting it.

Like so many of you, I do not follow one specific set curriculum. We draw from all over, following our interests and sometimes learning through trial and error. Since the children were small, we've taught the Faith in much the same way we teach other subjects, by immersing them in it, following "rabbit trails" when they come along, and living it out as a family.

One of the things we do is read many "living" books. We are currently absorbed in the almost forgotten gem, St. Patrick's Summer by Marigold Hunt. This was one of those fortunate finds--a rare instance of purchasing something that isn't at all what you expect, but finding it to be so much better. I thought it was going to be a book about St. Patrick, one of my most beloved saints, but instead it is an "adventure catechism" taking the children on a tour of the Baltimore Catechism (within a few chapters we noticed the parallels) through the fictionalized, but always truth telling, voices of great heroes of the faith, such as St. Patrick, Eve, Abraham, and St. Cecilia. I usually dislike books that masquerade as a story, but are really a thin veil for lessons. Somehow the approach works in this case. We also gain a lot from reading and re-reading the St. Joseph's Catechism, the Catholic Children's Bible (and the regular Bible for the older kids), Magnifikid Magazine, the Faith and Life Series, and many books on saints. The stories of the saints are a huge Faith and character builder for children.

We love finding time for special projects, such as the Easter Vigil, Papal, and Blessed Mother notebooks, and when these ideas come along, I am more than happy to drop other plans to pursue them. It may seem irresponsible to drop other plans, but the children learn so much from these all consuming, interesting projects. Plus, they form a relationship with the subject matter that lasts forever. My children always will love the Easter Vigil and remain interested in all aspects of it. That is worth more than any planned materials I ignored during the 40 days we worked on that project (along with the wonderful moms on this list) last year.

Our beautiful Faith lends itself perfectly to so many happy experiences for the children. We have many family traditions centered on Faith (our nightly "Advent Festivities" for example--even the baby loved the "stivities" and still asks for them if the thought occurs to her). As a family, we often celebrate feasts, both well known and lesser known, and try to remember not to let their namedays pass without some recognition--freshly baked brownies, a pleasant craft, rousing family hymn singing, an unexpected bedtime story--just something to make the day memorable and joyful. It is so important for the children to have many happy memories tied in to religious events and experiences. In a small way, we are restoring Catholic culture and creating a shared culture for our children that we hope will bond them together in Faith even as adults.

I also value the fact that my children have a Faith relationship with their homeschooling friends. So often our shared group activities have involved religious events and observances--All Saints Day parties, May Crownings, Epiphany parties, Scapular enrollments, Stations of the Cross--just to name a few. They have been involved in Catholic (homeschooled) girls club for years. It is completely normal and expected for them to pray with their friends, not to mention the fact that they have had many happy playdates all because Mom and her friends wanted to get together to say the Rosary. Again, this creates a Catholic culture for them that they will not likely forget.

Participating in the Sacraments is another way my children learn and live their Faith. There is no substitute for Mass and Communion, daily prayer, frequent confession, and time spent before the Blessed Sacrament. (This truly should have been my opening sentence.) We also value their involvement in choir, the Christmas and Easter Pageants, and other parish events. They feel at home in church and cannot imagine life any other way. They love the pastor and the two sisters who work at the parish and consider them close family friends. I know this may not be possible depending on the circumstances in some parishes, but when it is, it is a beautiful thing and very meaningful.

I have always taught the children to love the Blessed Mother, filling our home with images of her, calling upon her in times of trouble, relaying many stories of graces and favors I've received through her intercession, and fostering a devotion to the Holy Rosary and scapular. They feel very close to her, and I know she will always guide them to learn more about the faith as time goes on. Like so many homeschooling families, our home is full of religious statues and pictures--this atmosphere is absorbed by the children.

Finally, because it's getting late and I've rambled too long, I would say that it's a good idea to embrace those teachable moments whenever they arise. A four year old won't obey? Talk to him about how much God loves obedience, how Jesus obeyed his own mother and foster father even though He is God. Is there something subtly (or not so subtly) un-Catholic in a book you've been reading? Point out the problems--teach them why it is against your beliefs and how to defend the beliefs you hold dear. My kids just eat that kind of thing right up. Out for a nature walk? Talk to them about God's creation--teach them to observe God in the details. This is the beauty of homeschooling--the millions of unplanned moments to reach the hearts of those little ones entrusted to us. How sad it would be to miss those. I sometimes wonder how many children sit in a classroom reading something that just isn't quite right, but with no one there to set the record straight.

Rachel, I haven't really answered your original question, so forgive me! As for CHC, I am pleased with any materials we've used from them, and I agree with others who say CHC takes a positive approach. Education should be positive, and Faith should be a Joy. Thanks again for giving us all a chance to exchange ideas on the most important topic there is--passing on the Catholic Faith.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2006 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Alice, Your home sounds wonderful.

I wasn't sure if I should post or not because I don't have any experience with MODG or CHC. I'm posting because this topic has really got me thinking. I too have looked at CHC and have felt reluctant to try it. I've really been wondering why. I think my feelings are coming from my childhood experience. I grew up in home where we'd go to Mass regularly, but people would make fun of the priests or criticize the other parishioners, behind their backs of course. I went to Catholic school from 5th grade (when my parents divorced-my Dad is a non-practicing Lutheran)through high school. I grew close to my grandmother who took me to the French Mass during the week. I prayed often, said rosaries, had a holy water font in my room, played Mass with my brother and sister...

But at some point it stopped. Probably the result of growing up in a dysfunctional home. When I met my husband I was not even going to Mass and neither was he. He went to Catholic school for 13 years. His mother was obsessed with religion (among other problems)and he drifted away from the Church and moved out of his parents' home at 18.

Anyway, we made the decision during our engagement to come back to Church. We attend Mass regularly and are active on our parish's Pre-cana team. I'll try to wrap this up.   

So now, I'm homeschooling and I feel a bit lost when it comes to passing on the faith. I don't really have a good experience to pass on. We go to Mass regularly and say morning, bedtime prayers and grace. We've read Bibles, a few saint stories, we celebrate Advent and Lent. This year I've been using Faith & Life 1 and I did the Advent Presentations from Moira's Home Catechesis.   My oldest ds will be preparing for his First Communion next year. I've been looking at CHC's website for 2nd grade religion. It looks like the religion plans are in with the whole second grade plans. I think the reason I'm not attracted to the Spelling, Grammar and Handwriting is because they are workbooks. I don't feel attracted to the Science or the Readers, but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I'm afraid of being "overly Catholic" as Rachel said. Or just being a Catholic that goes through the motions without understanding why. I used to ask my mother questions and she'd tell me "I don't question it. I just do it."

I don't feel like I have much knowledge of the Catholic Church's teachings, but I do feel like the teachings about marriage and family and children and NFP are right on. I want my children to have a close trusting relationship with God. I don't want to do anything that would prevent this. As far as learning about the saints and the teachings of the Catholic Church, I will be doing this along with them.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2006 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Cheryl,

The plans are worth it just for the religion, imo. I think they help me especially because I didn't have much experience with living the Church year, etc. and still wanted to do this. I am also the most uncreative person - so I needed ideas and things put together in order to do hands on or any crafts, etc. It is very easy and simple to change and add in to do CHC your own way - but I like having a minimum outline of concepts to cover kind of thing - sort of security that one dc doesn't get lost in the weeds while I focus on someone else.

When I started, CHC wasn't available yet and we had to use mostly oop catechisms - just to make sure I knew what I was doing - but I didn't always like the tone and often reworded as I read, but I did learn along with dd. I often think that was one of the big reasons God wanted me to homeschool. CHC is so positive and gentle - always emphasizing love.

I never even had any doctrine growing up - we had a continual -Jesus is your best friend, be nice. But no one bothered to tell us about the ten commandments or the Eucharist, etc., etc. so I really had some very confused years trying to sort it all out - determined that dc would at least get the faith presented to them somehow. I really hated the touchy feely stuff because that is all we got - without any content. So for fear of leaving out content - our oldest got 4 religion tb in 1 year just so we didn't leave anything out that I might not have been taught. Poor thing - they were often poor mimeographed copies of books with nothing of beauty except the truth itself. I loved the Baltimore Catechism because it was a succinct summary of everything that I had never been taught. Guess we all react some to our own past - and at least don't make the same mistake.    I did at least change the more fearful tone - but then I knew we needed more and so thankful to CHC for doing such a good job combining both the elements in a really natural, living way with emphasis on love.

CHC material is totally positive in tone - moving from the love of God to learning and living. You don't necessarily have to do the workbooks - (I use them because I have 6 and it helps me know where they need the most help).

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2006 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Alice,

I think that the bulk of your post answered my real question. I was curious about CHC, but more about how people approach passing on the faith and how it is working. I was blessed to be raised in a home a few notches less actively Catholic than your house. I had lots of good exposure to different devotions, rites, and other Christian faiths and a solid background of Catholic beliefs.

My question stemmed from my own falling away in college and then coming back again before I got married. I would love to help my kids avoid that, but I worry that because I'm so excited about my faith now that I will overkill them. Fortunately, our move here has helped a lot since it forced us to give up committments that were starting to do that.

My approach so far has been to slowly add new traditions to those I brought with me. Epiphany has been one that has been a great success. And after attending a marriage weekend by Curtis and Michaelann Martin, my husband even suggested that we start saying the Rosary with the kids, and he's not Catholic.

He is another part of the reason that I tread carefully in this area. I want him to be as drawn to the beauty of the Church as the kids. Then maybe someday.......

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Janet,
I probably will get the second grade plans for the religion lessons, and maybe more. Maybe if I see them I can get a better idea of what CHC is like for the other subjects too. This year I bought the Teacher's Manual for Faith & Life. It's not listed for second grade on the CHC website. Is that because the lesson plans take the place of the teacher's manual?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2006 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I am intrigued by this topic as I used to do CHC and then stopped. Not because of the Catholic content, but because of the workbook format that bores my son to tears. He is very hands-on. However, I miss the infusion of the faith and find it difficult (but not impossible) to do a la cart. I don't want a formal religion program like Faith and Life, but more on the line of liturgical year-based activities. I am looking at A Year with God. My question, finally , is what types of activities does AYWG include? I need hands-on, but if it things like "put on a play about the nativity" I know ds won't like it. The website doesn't seem to have samples, however, and it is a big investment at about 50 bucks. No one I know has it to borrow, either.
So...can anyone give me some examples of the activities I wuld find in AYWG?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2006 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Rachel May wrote:
My approach so far has been to slowly add new traditions to those I brought with me. Epiphany has been one that has been a great success. And after attending a marriage weekend by Curtis and Michaelann Martin, my husband even suggested that we start saying the Rosary with the kids, and he's not Catholic.

That is beautiful, Rachel. The children love those traditions and embrace them so much. My kids are disappointed if I miss any of the things we've observed in the past. Your husband's suggestion that you say the Rosary with the children is perfect--there is nothing more gentle yet powerful than the school of Our Lady's Rosary.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2006 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I've only had the old teacher's manual for Faith and Life - we've mostly read the lesson together and talked about and then just done the hands-on/ living stuff from the CHC lesson plans - with some of my own ideas stemming from the TM (like we might diverge and read a life of the 12 apostles - a great oop book I have around, etc) but not really in the TM. I've often been curious about the new teacher's manual. Do you think the TM worth it?

A Year With God has variuos ideas - there is a lot of variety:

making a liturgical wheel (gives a photo sample, list of liturgical colors and meaning and when used. Also samples of various posters that go along nicely with Faith and Life lessons (at least 5th grade)

family calendar (sample photo of one, graphics to use and copy, plus blank monthly calendars), chore chart type of things ready for copying and use in the family,

Sample Prayer books,Mass book, card-making ideas for different days, craft projects for feast days (ranging from very young age like color, cut-out, pray and glue to older with some hidden door type things)

Seasonal ideas like - Advent/Christmas, Lent/Easter, Ascension,Immaculate Conception, Holy Days and Solemnities - various ideas like the straw in the manger, some poetry for the season, directions for very, very simple Nativity play and at least one other play, dramatic readings, lenten practices (explanations of why as well as suggestions for activities and some templates for use in keeping up with growth)

crossword puzzles, games, how to draws, some ideas and suggestions to draw in youngers in things like family rosary, comic strip type lives of the Saints (devotional - they really are in good taste)

after Communion prayers,how to draw, pictures, stories, hidden pictures, some materials also found in the Middle School lesson plans about Growing the virtues, quotes from the saints

Ideas for posters that fit well with the 5th grade Faith and Life lessons. Holy Rosary project - some beautiful artwork of each mystery and lined and decorated rectangle to fit on the back of each with dc own meditations.

It has a lot of different things - best part is that it is all arranged in order of the feast days, etc so that it is quick to peruse ideas, has a lot that is also in the CHC lesson plans for various grades (just in the lesson plans the stuff is already copied and laid out for you so dc only has to cut, pick out card/color. I don't have to come up with the templates).

It is not as elaborate as the things I've seen on the faith forum about notebooks and lapbooks - but a lot that seems to be along those lines for the more craft impaired like me - as it has more step by step instructions. I think it was meant to be an idea inspirer - not an end in itself but something to get folks started in a doable and very simple way with the idea that once you get started, you'll come up with your own ideas.

Hope this helps

Janet

Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2006 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

lapazfarm wrote:
My question, finally , is what types of activities does AYWG include? I need hands-on, but if it things like "put on a play about the nativity" I know ds won't like it. The website doesn't seem to have samples, however, and it is a big investment at about 50 bucks. No one I know has it to borrow, either.

I was just looking through my copy a few minutes ago. My 5 yo ds is very motivated by projects. There are quite a few in there as Janet has outlined. I know it's a steep price tag but for me it's been a hugh help. There are a lot of things I can take right to the copier (copy rights are for family only)for the next day if I need something and forgot to prepare or my mind's a blank. I think I would not have needed this a few years ago but now at 45 and having homeschooled 13 yrs., my mind's not so fresh

I all depends on how much cutting and pasting and coloring and puzzles your dc will sit through.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks Janet and Gwen. That was very helpful. I will take a second look at AYWG.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I just bought a used copy of AYWG for 1/2 price through CathSwap. I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival in the mail! That's a great resource for used hs materials, if you're not familiar with it---it's a yahoo group.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Alcat
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 21 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Alcat

Hi ladies,
I just finished the starting over thread, and I wanted to comment on hs materials being too catholic. I have had the privilege of knowing some wonderful catholic homeschool families with teenagers. Most of these families have either used Seton, MODG or a combo of material from Seton. My dear bil is one of these. None of these kids have complained about the catholic nature of their texts. None of them are grousing about their parents pushing the faith too much. The ones I have spoken with love going to daily mass.
What’s the difference? My guess is parental approach. Love and respect has allowed these kids to not see their faith NOT as restrictive or chafing but as who they are. The only negative I have seen is the occasional arrogance that the Catholic church is RIGHT and that if you disagree then you are an idiot (yes, the parents have corrected this )
What I love about our faith is that we are required to continue learning about it. The CM and Classical approach to learning anticipates children needing to learn to argue and gives them the discipline to do it logically. This freedom is a huge help in allowing teens to OWN their faith and not just parrot their catholic texts. Once again all this boils down to HOW the parent feeds the child their faith- are they loving, respectful, open to the natural tendencies of the child’s temperament, and the questioning of their faith?
In the early grammar and most of logic stage having catholic texts is a wonderful reinforcement, it builds that strong foundation of knowledge and a catholic atmosphere. I notice that most children react negatively to what their parent reacts negatively to. So, if you want to use catholic science, english, history, and even math texts do so with confidence- so long as the child is actually learning from them. If the child hates the English text from Seton, it might not be because it is catholic but simpliy because the he hates the workbook approach and would hate one from a secular publisher just as much (does this make any sense?).

This is just what I have observed from the families around me. We have been using CHC as our spine for 2nd grade this year- my ds loves it. He really likes Language of God and the Science Stories- both very Catholic. CHC is very gentle and their religion supplement is great. I actually don't like Faith and Life texts; too simple (my son rolls his eyes when we have tried to use it and complains that he knows it all "that stuff"), we use Seton Religion instead.

Sorry for rambling.
God Bless,
Alison

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2006 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Alison,
You wrote this very well and make some excellent points.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Alison,
   Very well put! Thank you!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote mary

Cheryl wrote:
Janet,
I probably will get the second grade plans for the religion lessons, and maybe more. Maybe if I see them I can get a better idea of what CHC is like for the other subjects too.

that is what i did. and then i added the language and spelling books. i'm torn. while i do LOVE the CHC stuff, i can't get rid of sonlight. sonlight seems more, rigorous? i have no idea what to do next year.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

mary wrote:

that is what i did. and then i added the language and spelling books. i'm torn. while i do LOVE the CHC stuff, i can't get rid of sonlight. sonlight seems more, rigorous? i have no idea what to do next year.

Sonlight is a great addition to CHC. This year I have used CHC's plans more as my core and used SL's readers/read alouds for the historical fiction (along with Catholic additions). I don't think you have to give up SL to use CHC. There are several cores that match up with CHC: CHC 4th and 5th could be used alongside cores 3 and 4, and CHC 6th goes well with SL core 5, for instance.   I don't bother with the SL IG's. I just get however many of the books I think I will read aloud and I think my dc will read on their own. For us, that means 3 or 4 read alouds a year and 36 readers for my oldest.

~Books
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

This is interesting. I was reading the Sonlight catalog every night before bed for awhile. I think it's very well marketed. I thought I could use Core K for my 3 children together next year. Then I read these posts about CHC, which I hadn't considered before. I requested a catalog, and now I have new bedtime material. My husband, who would like for me to get a curriculum, thought it would be better to use a Catholic one. Although he really didn't look at either of them. I think I'm leaning toward CHC and using the Sonlight catalog as a booklist for read-alouds. Do those of you who use CHC think it would be worth it to have Kindergarten and 2nd grade lesson plans? Do you think I'd have time for both?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version