Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Would You Go to This Baptism? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 30 2009 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Nancy, I often find that my dh is very good at seeing through emotions and complications and ifs/buts, and if my dh said to me, yeah, parts of it are all a load of pants but I think you should go, I would go. What is the whisper in your spirit when you consider the question? That would be my personal guide - my conscience, and my dh's perspective.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2009 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I get the ridiculous, basic courtesy thing that they should invite you personally, and I agree that they *should*. I also have had lots of experience with extended family/in-laws who don't have the same idea as me about what are proper manners. They would assume that adult children were included in an invitation made to the parents of those adult children, and then wonder why I was surprised that the adult children came to some event as I had not invited them. Eventually I realized that I just needed to "go with the flow" because there was no way they were going to change how they did things; if I suggested otherwise then I was being difficult. Sometimes the world is just kind of upside down like that.    I would go, mostly because your mother is looking forward to seeing you.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Revising here, too.

If dh says to go, and your kiddos don't need you, but mostly because dh says go, I would go. And I would totally focus on having fun with your mom. It has to be hard to be so far away from her.

Let us know how it all turns out!

I will still pray for you all!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 31 2009 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I decided to go because my husband is convinced I should. We came up with a very positive statement about raising the baby in the Faith that I'm supposed to get up the nerve to say.

I'd like to think my son will always need me, but...he's 17. Hopefully he'll get his schoolwork done (history reading, yee-ha).

I was honest with my mom about my feelings - I don't think she understands them too well - and told her how much I was looking forward to spending time with her and Dad. I will be praying a lot between now and my departure, believe me.

Thanks for all your advice and prayers; they really helped. Now let's pray through St. Monica's intercession that somehow, some way, this baptism will bring my cousins home to the Church!

ETA: I am flying on St. Monica's feast day. Not a coincidence, methinks.

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Nancy, I have been praying about your situation, but I was so torn on what to tell you. I think that you have made an excellent decision. You will truly be a witness to your faith. I will continue to keep you in prayer asking for the intercession of St. Monica.
Back to Top View Carole N.'s Profile Search for other posts by Carole N.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version