Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Voluntary Work for homeschooled children? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 20 2009 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

All my older children want to do some voluntary work this school year. My dd will be working with my pro-life Catholic doctor and also be reading to and playing games with long-term/terminally ill children in a local hospital - both which she asked to do. All the children play musical instruments at a local senior home a few times a year. I am just having trouble figuring out something for my boys to do on a regular basis. Can you share other ideas for voluntary work that your kids may be doing? I know that working in the library is another option.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 20 2009 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

My son volunteered to read at a nursing home and was matched up with an older gentleman with whom he developed an amazing relationship. Their visits grew from reading to playing chess, checkers, backgammon, to discussing articles in journals.

He also regularly volunteered at our Food Bank - they need helpers to sort and box the foods.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2009 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

My sons volunteer at the local homeschool shelter cleaning the kitchen after the lunch shift. Also they go once a week to a nursing home and help residents wrtie letters to loved ones.

My dd volunteers at the library sorting out puzzles in the children's room once a week.   

jenk
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 20 2009 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote jenk

My oldest is almost volunteer age so this isn't personal experience, but we've had friends who volunteered at the library (stamping cards, etc...) and at a local thrift store working the cash register and bringing in merchandise. Another idea would be a local animal shelter.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2009 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Soup kitchen, food pantry. Look for your local partner at Shared Harvest. Also we are in Couples for Christ-FFL and people regularly post on our e-list if they need volunteers at their parish for different things. This past weekend it was shucking and cutting corn for St. John's Corn Day. He's also a boy scout so people are always needing help for their Eagle projects, and they also serve at IHN. I used to look at iVolunteer and Volunteer Match but we hardly found anything that we could do as a family, and hardly any Catholic choices, so through the parish and personal contacts have been much easier for us.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MrsM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 20 2009 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote MrsM

If you have a crisis pregnancy center nearby, they could do things like stuff envelopes, clean the offices, and whatever else needs doing that is age appropriate.

Mom to darling Elizabeth and Francis, held in Mary's arms and always in my heart
Back to Top View MrsM's Profile Search for other posts by MrsM

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2009 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Marilyn, my dd (12) is just about to start voluntary work across the road where dh works, she is very, very good with elderly people and she is incredibly excited about it!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version