Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Ambleside or Mater Amabilis? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote AnaB

I don't want to cause any offense by my question. I realize a HUGE difference and similiarity between these two online programs is their religious perspective--one being protestant and one catholic (is that correct?). Aside from this, what are the other differences? What are the advantages of using one over the other?

I am researching those two wonderful websites but due to frequent interruptions I am having trouble doing my own analyzing! Thank you for any help!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Ana,
I think you've answered your own question. With Mater Amabilis, you won't spend a lot of valuable time trying to sift out the Protestant stuff. You can rest assured that the women behind MA know Charlotte Mason well but also that they know the Faith very well. All you get is truth and you don't have to second guess anything.
Mater Amabilis

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Fixed the link .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Thanks so much, Elizabeth.

I was wondering if there are some books or references that are recommended in one site that's different than the other? Does one move more quickly or have more work than the other? What are the challenges in following an online school like this?

Thanks for your patience with my questions!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

AnaB wrote:
I was wondering if there are some books or references that are recommended in one site that's different than the other? Does one move more quickly or have more work than the other? What are the challenges in following an online school like this?

Hi Ana,

I'm one of the co-creators of Mater Amabilis. When Kathryn and I made the program we used the actual programmes (syllabi) from Charlotte Mason's schools as our guide and built from those what we felt a Catholic CM curriculum could look like in today's world. We didn't compare what we came up with to Ambleside Online, and in fact we didn't even look at it (personally I haven't looked at it since it began), so any similarities are coincidental, based of course on our and their knowledge of CM.   

Keep in mind that Mater Amabilis is meant to be flexible. The curriculum as it's written is a suggestion that may or may not work with your child. We encourage everyone who uses it to make it work for them and not let themselves become a slave to it. This is true with anything you use. You have to make it work for your child and your family situation.

If you have specific questions and I can answer them I will. I'm sure Kathryn will chime in here too (though she is in a later time zone ).

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Elizabeth wrote:
Ana,
I think you've answered your own question. With Mater Amabilis, you won't spend a lot of valuable time trying to sift out the Protestant stuff. You can rest assured that the women behind MA know Charlotte Mason well but also that they know the Faith very well. All you get is truth and you don't have to second guess anything.
Mater Amabilis

Agreed, and the folks who work so hard on MA hang out here, too.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Thank you so much for your replies! You've given me a new appreciation for such a valuable resource! I can't imagine the work that would go into developing a program like that!!!

I'm hoping for some uninterrupted time in the future to take a longer look at all that's at the website, there's such a wealth of info!

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Ana,
This year I am using Level 1B and Level 3 with my dc. I have been pleased. The curriculum is user friendly and easy to adapt to your
needs.
As Michelle said, MA is CM curriculum for the 21st century. It feels current and modern while preserving the spirit of CM. To me AO doesn't have a 21st century feel to it. That was important to me.
MA seems less overwhelmin to. The choices are less and almost all of the books they suggest are easy to obtain with a handy-dandy link to Amazon or other booksellers.
Ambleside is designed (seems to me) to use a lot of online books to cut down on cost. I find using online books uncomfortable and if I print them it seems that I am spending so much on ink and paper.
The only advantage I see that AO has over MA is time. They have been around longer and have had time to set up a very complete site. Their poet, artist and composer studies are very well developed. That is the only part of their site that I consistently use.

HTH,
Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2006 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Hello Ana,
When Michele and I started putting Mater Amabilis together I did do a quick comparison between AO and the Parents' Union School programmes we had. The reading load in AO was higher, but there was less hands on stuff. AO includes many books that were actually used by CM herself, which does give it an "older" feel. Many of the books CM used were cutting edge at the time, so we deliberately opted to include more up to date books where possible - of course, newer isn't always better, so there is some older stuff in there too

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2006 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Wow! I think that's where I was going with my question, Kathryn. I do appreciate your reply very much (as well as all the other replies).

There was alot of thought put into both websites, but I do appreciate having insight into the "why's". Thank you again!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version