Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Please help fill in books! Unit Study Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2009 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Next year I will have a third grader, a first grader and a desperately-wanting-to-keep-up four yo. I was tossing around doing a Unit Study for each month and calling it the Year of the Boy and breaking each month down into "Boy Subjects." As I was doing that, I then realized that I'd really really like the boys to make their own "scrapbook/notebook" on their Papa who, as some of you know, died heroically on Sept. 8th. He was a Man's Man and a Jack of all trades... and a really holy man. So I've broken down our months based on his "trades." But I could use some help filling in some books! Here are my ideas for the first three months:

One of our "resources" is the Dangerous Book for Boys.

In September, we're studying "South Dakota: Land of Cowboys and Indians (and Papa)."   I was thinking of using the South Dakota alphabet book, some Dover Indian coloring books, Holling's Book of Indians and B is for Buckaroo.

In October, we're doing "sports: one of the ways Papa learned virtue"... mainly basketball and football. I'm having a hard time here. MaryM has tons of baseball recommendations, but I'm slim on the others... and he never played/coached baseball. I could include soccer here too. While I want to hit all sports, I'd like to focus most on "his" sports.

In November, I'd like to do: "Papa the Solider." He was a Navy fighter pilot in the Vietnam war. I'd like to use 10,000 Days of Thunder, study St. Martin, but I'm hurting here. I'd love a book that studies the branches of the military specifically the navy that is friendly to my age group? I was thinking of reading the Winged Watchman? I'd love the boys to learn all the military theme songs. In January, we're going to study planes (he went onto fly commercially), so I want to focus more on the soldier part than the flying part and service to country. Any ideas?

(The other themes will be: Planes, Horses, Farming, Jack of all Trades (dappling in carpentry,plumbing electric) and we'll spend a month preparing for Christmas and for the Paschal feast).

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I'm not any help, but this is such a wonderful way to encourage the boys to look at all aspects of this great man's life!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 25 2009 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Maryan...this is such a GREAT idea for your year!!!!

I have some ideas, but I don't have time to add them...I'll be back later if no one else adds them before me!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Maryan, I think this is a great idea.

For planes -- check out the Biggles booksand Tales of the RAF. They're not about Vietnam, but they are about pilots (in WWI and WWII) and well loved by boys. They'd probably be read alouds for your age group, although your 8 yo would probably be able to handle them if he's a good reader.

Farmer Boy might be a good read for you, too. It connects to both farming and South Dakota, since Almanzo Wilder later went west to SD where he met Laura Ingalls. Farmer Boy is one of everyone's favorite books around here.

Across the Blue Pacific is a picture book about a Navy man in WWII who doesn't come home, told from the POV of a child who knew him. That one may be a little tough , but it's a good book.

I'll be back later if I think of more.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

hi,
for football, you could mark on a large wall map where teams are and use charts to keep track of their games (wins, losses, statistics). i seemto recall someone from yis forum posting about geography and football.
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

What a fabulous idea!!!
I don't have ideas for specific books, but for another resource you could take a look at the American Boy's Handy Book by Daniel Carter Beard and the others of that series.
There is a blog I like in which the mom uses the Handy Book as a basis for her boys' activities. You might get some ideas there:The Boy's Almanac

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Maryan, what a wonderful idea! I am sure that next year will be such a blessing for your boys.

Off the top of my head, Sign of the Beaver came to mind for Cowboys and Indians. I don't know if that is the kind of book that you want, though. For planes, The Glorious Flight also came to mind. Also, do you have Cay's Picture Perfect Childhood? She has a list of picture books for Indians.

Blessings
Julia
mom of 3 (10,8,6)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Holling's book is great. We used that a couple of years ago and it took about month, it's divided really logically. We were able to make a great chart on poster board that compared the different tribes.

T is for Touchdown and J is for Jumpshot are probably great. I haven't seen them but you are familiar with the series, so you know it's got to be good. Some fiction fun readers could be Matt Christopher books, kind of fluffy I guess but fun sports stories.

Usborne has a Vietnam War book too that is good. Oh and there is the Eyewitness Soldier, it looks good. I don't know of any Navy specific books. Oh (one more Oh!) a good read aloud could be Cracker! The Best Dog in Vietnam!. I read it a couple of years ago. I haven't read it in a couple of years, but nothing is jumping out to me in my memory that would make it objectionable. It's just a longer book and I think for little boys, you add in the emotion and suspense...could be good. The library has it.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 25 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Maryan wrote:
As I was doing that, I then realized that I'd really really like the boys to make their own "scrapbook/notebook" on their Papa who, as some of you know, died heroically on Sept. 8th.

Maryan, what a treasured keepsake that will be for them. It's a wonderful idea.

I hope I can help with a few picture book ideas:

Always with You – Ruth Vander Zee
     A young girl orphaned and blinded during the Vietnam War is rescued by an American soldier and recounts her experiences in an orphanage at China Beach. Part of the illustrations are in black and white describing how she saw no colors.
It's sad and pretty emotional book (defineitly pre-read), but it has that element of an American soldier saving a life which chokes me up when I think of your fil giving his life to save a life.

Mercedes and the Chocolate Pilot - by Margot Theis Raven
     Told from the point of view of a young German girl, it is the story of the Berlin Airlift (1948-49) and the pilot who attempted to brighten the lives of the children by dropping candy and gum for them. You can read more about Lt. Gail Halvorsen's story here and here
    Different war than "Papa" but definitely a story of a generous and giving American pilot. Very touching.

Maryan wrote:
In October, we're doing "sports: one of the ways Papa learned virtue"... mainly basketball and football. I'm having a hard time here. MaryM has tons of baseball recommendations, but I'm slim on the others... and he never played/coached baseball. I could include soccer here too. While I want to hit all sports, I'd like to focus most on "his" sports.

Baseball is our sport hence all the baseball books. But I'd love to help and am on a quest now to find you some great football and basketball books as well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Wow ladies. Thank you! This is an awesome start.    I think this will be a great focus for this year, but the boys' sappy mama will be moved to tears many times. Thanks for the help.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2009 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

We enjoyed Alpha, Bravo, Charlie by Chris Demarest.

I'm going to have to think some more. Such a great idea, Maryan!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Maryan, a couple of other ideas. Anthony recommends America's White Table as one about the military and Vietnam. I haven't seen but it looks intruiging: H is for Honor: a military alphabet. Here's the Amazon description:

"Written by the son of a career officer, this book explores the branches of the Armed Services and speaks from the heart about the honor, privileges and sacrifices of military families everywhere. Children will discover why drill sergeants have to be so tough, what it means to be patriotic and why we need Special Forces such as the Navy SEALS, the Green Berets and the Army Rangers. "H is for Honor" also explains why the annual Army/Navy football game is more that just a game, how much letters from home mean to soldiers, how often military families have to move and what life on base is like. With an underlying message of courage and commitment that every child can relate to, the book will be espcially meaningful to those whose parents, siblings or other relatives serve in the Armed Forces."

Another one I loved and you could read the introduction and and get the whole beautiful story is The Grunt Padre about Fr. Vincent Capodanno.

One other I remember having basketball stories is The Great Brain at the Academy. Tom is now in Junior High at the Jesuit academy and up to his usual rascally ways. I remember basketball being a *new* sport in this book and at one point he lies that a letter that he receives from the Vatican is from the Pope saying it is ok to play basketball. This is all from my shady memory--we read it to the twins as infants--so I'd preread.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 01 2009 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maryan, I do have some suggestions, but I've been hesitant because...most are out-of-print titles, my trademark. And are you only looking for picture books, or some chapter books?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2009 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I have some military ideas for you also, just not a lot of time to post with links.

We have H is for Heroes.

Also, the Navy Museum down at the Navy Yard is a lot of fun, I think there is at least one ship you can tour. The museum has a lot of cool stuff, and guns. It is a favorite our Carter and Ro....you know it has guns.
Also, a book store. We'd love to join you. We go there at least once a year, it's one of the ways I get my guys into the NGA.....I promisie the Navy Museum too.    Jim just told me the Navy Memorial has a bookstore and google US Naval Institute they have a lot of books....so I'm told.

pipandpuddy
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 01 2009 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote pipandpuddy

A few books that we have that you might enjoy are:

1. Usborne War Stories, Paul Downswell (WW1/WW2)
2. Letters from Wolfie, Patti Sherlock (Vietnam)
3. Amazing Tales for Making Men Out of Boys, Neil Oliver (I got this a few weeks ago at Sam's)
4. The Soldier's Night Before Christmas, Trish Holland (a fun picture book for Christmas)

Karen
Back to Top View pipandpuddy's Profile Search for other posts by pipandpuddy

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 01 2009 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I've attempted to expand my repertoire of sports picture books - trying to move beyond America's favorite pastime...

So, I've found a few to add to your list. When we talk basketball it seems the main picturebook character is Mr. "Air" himself - Michael Jordan.

Jump (Floyd COoper) - tells of Michael's early years when his brothers were better players than he was and how he didn't make the the varsity team. Story of sibling competition, hard work and determination. Has a fun fold out page to highlight his famous jumping ability.

Salt in His Shoes (Deloris Jordan) - I loved this book by his mom - offering personal perspective only a mom could. Focus is on Michael's desire to "grow" so he can be a better player and his mom's advice which includes prayer. And she prays for him, too. Combined with dad's advice of hard work and practice, it is quite charming and offers good wholesome life lessons.

For the Love of the Game: Michael Jordan and Me (Eloise Greenfield) - didn't really care for this one as much. Kind of a surreal mix of illustrations of Michael Jordan playing basketball and children following their dreams - spirit like images interwined. It's a "choose your path in life - feel the strength of your spirit" theme book.

Hoops (Robert Burleigh) - written from a perspective that makes you feel like you're playing the game - great descriptive language. I think this quote from the book jacket captures the tone: "...beautiful and dynamic pictures capture all the energy and passion of the frozen moments that make a game." The language used captures that feeling as well.

The Princesses Have a Ball (Teresa Bateman) - OK, this one would be especially great if you had a houseful of basketball playing girls instead of boys...but fun none-the-less. I think this will be one mom enjoys. The family of princesses are mysteriously wearing out their shoes very quickly. The clever cobler discovers their secret antics of night-time basketball playing and helps the girls convince the King it's okay to have a "ball" that isn't a dance. Cute story.

On to football:

Win One for the Gipper, America's Football Hero (Kathy-Jo Wargin) - Story of the famous Notre Dame player, George Gipp and the even more famous Knute Rockne quote he inspired. Great inspirational football story and lovely nostalgic illustrations. (Did you know he originally went to Notre Dame to play baseball ? )

And these books about Jim Thorpe are good as well. He was a talented all-around athlete, but football plays a big part of the stories as well.

Bright Path: Young Jim Thorpe (Don Brown) - Chronicles Thorpe's hard-scrabble childhood and athletic rise to greatness. I enjoyed the fun ink and watercolor illustrations. Makes me want to check out more of the author's picture book biographies.

Jim Thorpe's Bright Path (Joseph Bruchac) - Covers basically the same story as the other Thorpe book, but longer more detailed text. Has nice historic notes and timeline in endnotes.

I'll keep looking....

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 01 2009 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
Win One for the Gipper, America's Football Hero (Kathy-Jo Wargin) - Story of the famous Notre Dame player, George Gipp and the even more famous Knute Rockne quote he inspired.

Oh, and then you can watch the Notre Dame classic football movies - Knute Rockne, All American and Rudy.

Rudy is such a great story of hard work and perseverance !

Our Domestic Church

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2009 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Oh yay! You guys are amazing!! I have visiting all this week, so I'm sneaking a 4real visit today and can't believe all this great stuff!!   

And Jenn... I'm doing OOP too.   

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 02 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Another Vietnam War picture book - Sweet Dried Apples (Rosemary Breckler)
Childhood remembrances of family in Vietnam during the war - particularly memories of their grandfather who came to stay with them when their father left to fight. It does cover their village being bombed and then their escape from the country. While sad, it is sweet, too.

Our Domestic Church

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2009 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Oh that sounds good Mary! My library/Amazon list is so nice and full!!

And I'm still chuckling about the expanding your sports repertoire! Thank you!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version