Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Artistic Pursuits- Any seen this? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 02 2006 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

HI
I have just come across this art program http://www.artisticpursuits.com/ateach.htmand it looks really good. It seems to have drawing, art prints, art history and practical arts all rolled in one. But as it is pricey it is rather hard to decide sight unseen. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about it?
Thanks

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I have this (the K-3 one.) I've only used it once this year. I had good intentions of using it along with my unit studies. I did the cave art project and planned on doing the Egyptian murals when we studied Egypt and the Medieval Tapestry when we studied Castles, but I never got around to it. I have to say that many of my plans this year have fallen through though because of morning sickness and building a house. We've been doing a lot of artwork here, but it's usually the kids who come up with ideas.

I just looked at it now and it is a very simple program that would not be hard to do. I think the kids would learn quite a bit from it. I may try it again in the summer. I can't really give you a helpful reply because I'm just keeping up with the basics right now. If you have any specific questions about the book I will try to answer them. Hopefully someone who has actually used the program (more than once)    will respond.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2006 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I really like Artistic Pursuits a lot. We have the middle books (grade 4-6) and will get the Jr. high level when we are finished. The lessons are sequenced well and they would be easy for a student to do on his or her own at this level, but I really enjoy doing it along with them. As you probably saw on the site each level has a book that focuses on black & white and one on color with different media used in the various books. I think they provide a very thorough look at a wide range of media and technique.

In addition to the information on the elements of art, art technique, and the lessons, you do get the art appreciation and artist biographies like you mentioned. Each book has art prints (about 15-20) that come with it. You attach those to specific locations in the book so that they flip up (like a flap book). Under the print there is a diagram of the print with information highlighting specific techniques/elements. Then you work on those techniques/elements in that lesson.

Overall I think it is a great all-in-one art curriculum. They are a local company here in Denver so I originally saw them here at curriculum fairs, but I am seeing the program carried in more and more places (They have great review in Rainbow Resource Center and Mater Amabilis recommends them).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2006 at 5:41am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thanks
I really appreciate the feedback. Isn't it hard choosing sight unseen.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 2:33am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

How usable is it by kids outside the 'target' age?

We're looking at finding a curriculum to use with our co-op, but we want something that one mum can do with all the kids (5ish to 11ish) and they just work at their own level. I initially scratched this off the list because of the graded labelling, but it seems to be widely recommended, so I though it was worth checking:-)

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 3:12am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Fe
Do you know what comes to my mind, I'm really impressed with the Usborne Art books by Fiona Watt. Your library is sure to have them. The older children can read the instructions and go ahead on their own if you are busy helping little ones.

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 3:30am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

Erin wrote:
Fe
Do you know what comes to my mind, I'm really impressed with the Usborne Art books by Fiona Watt. Your library is sure to have them.

I have the two combined in one volume:-)

I've got that on the list, but we're at the collecting ideas stage, and seeing all the good reviews for this one, I wanted to see if it might work as an option:-)

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

We're using the first K-3 book this year, and are enjoying it. It combines art appreciation with artistic methods, and I really like that. The kids seem to like it, as well. We just do one lesson every couple of weeks, whenever the mood strikes . I haven't seen any of the other books, so I'm not sure how they would be for ages outside of the specified range. I could see this K-3 book working all the way through 5th grade or so, though, and my preschooler is enjoying it right along with us...

Just FYI, Barb at Harmony Arts has a review of one of the books here.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version