Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Beatrix Potter idea Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 29 2005 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Someone mentioned this new series and I got the books from the library. Seems a woman named Susan Wittig Albert has started a mystery series with Beatrix Potter as the central character. I read The Tale of Hill Top Farm and she has a second in the series which I'll start today -- The Tale of Holly How. These are British "cozy" mysteries and would be a great read-aloud or book for your older kids if you're doing a BP unit. Very clean and fun reads. It's got lots of great and fun info about BP, her time in Near Sawrey and what was going on at that time. The author makes very clear who is real and who is not and has some of the animals involved in the stories too. She also has resources listed in the back for further info about BP, a glossary of early 20th century Lake district terms (that might be unfamiliar to us 21st century Yanks), and a few authentic recipes (treacle pudding, rhubarb tart, sponge cake, etc). A great living book that would be fun for the older kids and adults!

Ms. Albert also mentions the Armitt Sisters -- friends of BP's -- who helped collect tons of stuff of the artists, and writers who lived in the Lake District. After their deaths, their collection was merged into the "Armitt Trust". The interesting CM connection is that the Armitt Trust also houses most of CM's papers.

Here's a link to the Armitt Trust -- Armitt Trust -- anyone want to take a field trip?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 29 2005 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Oh wow! Perfect read alouds or read alones for the big kids when we do Beatrix Potter this spring. Thanks Mary!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2005 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Mary G. wrote:
she has a second in the series which I'll start today -- The Tale of Holly How.   

Thanks for the additional info, Mary. I just picked this second book up at the library last week. Haven't had a chance to read it though but, in scanning, it looks good.

Thank you to whomever suggested it. It looks like a great find.

Mary, should I try to find the first book and read it first? Or will the second one stand alone nicely?

I'm off to check out the links you provided.
Thanks again!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2005 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Thank you!!!

I just checked, and my library has these! The newest one is only 7 day, as it's new. But I should be able to get them soon if I want to.

I wonder if they're worth purchasing. At Amazon.com, the first one is only $6.99 new in paperback. Hmmm....

I just checked on Amazon, and you can SEARCH INSIDE THIS BOOK if you want to get an idea of the books. They look wonderful to me! Our 10yo daughter will love them!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2005 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Cay: The first is much of background of Hill Top and BP, but the second could also stand alone. They're great books and great info. Here's a link to Ms. Albert's website with research and other info that also may prove useful -- Beatrix Potter research for series

My 14 yod is now ignoring us all so she can read the book -- always a great sign

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version