Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: An Alphabet of Catholic Saints Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 19 2009 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I just picked this up from the CHC bargain basement for the Serendipity Alphabet path next year.

I wish I had known about it sooner! I love the saints pictures and the rhymes- perfect for little ones. I love that the saints are all smiling.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2009 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Isn't it a beautiful book?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2009 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

SeaStar wrote:
I love that the saints are all smiling.

Me, too!!!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Call me the naysayer. The book was okay in my opinion, but it was really quite cartoony for my tastes (the Hollywood pearly whites were actually a turn-off to me!    ).

It DID however inspire me in a great way. We made our own saintly alphabet book. Found some beautiful pictures online, used our family's patrons and other favorite saints. We wrote out small blurbs on each saint, included feast day info, patronage info, and a quote from that saint if one was to be found. We printed it all off and glued it lovingly together on cardstock and various scrapbook papers and had it laminated and bound at Office Max. It is truly a gem! The great thing is that I saved all the files for this and I can easily customize it and reprint/glue things for our godchildren and such when we want a lovely gift to give.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2009 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Oh, Ellie!!!

I LOVE this idea!!!!

I am saving it for when we finish the FHC notebook!

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2009 at 12:50am | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

That really sounds like a cool book Ellie. I have wanted to do something like that and you have given the blueprint for it. Thanks!

Jody
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2009 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote Jody

Wow Ellie, What a great idea! I'll add that to my list for next year !

Jody

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2009 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

wanted to add that I took the book's perfect idea for the letter Q ... "Queen of All Saints"

And to save anyone trouble if you're image searching, some letters are difficult to find saints that have usable images one can find online... so if you find yourself stuck on:

U= Ursula
Y= Yves
Z= Zita

Babs
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 22 2009 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Babs

Ellie,

This is such a beautiful project! We have been making saint pages and filing them in our history timeline book but putting together a saint book the way you have sounds like such a great project to save by itself instead of just getting lost in our timeline.

When you say you saved files do you mean a blank format to be filled in or the finished project or something else? Do you have pictures of your book or pages? I would so love to see how you did this, it sounds so inspiring. Your children are very fortunate to have such a creative Mom.

God Bless,
Barb

Back to Top View Babs's Profile Search for other posts by Babs

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2009 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Babs, by saved files I mean on the computer. I have a Word Document that has all the images I used: I used two different images per saint. Then I have another document saved with little tidbits about the saints, feast day info and applicable quotes and what not. I've also saved a title page and letter page that has the saint's name in a large font for each page.

This makes it easy to customize and move things around. When I print all my documents, I cut out blocks of text and the words and pictures and just place them how I like on a page. Paste it together, then get it laminated and bound at an office store. Dh pointed out that I could save time by putting the pages together on the computer and then just printing it out, but I kind of like the meditative quality of piecing it altogether from scratch.

I'm sorry I don't have pictures at this point. I've only made it once, and I gave it as a gift to my godson... have yet to finish a copy for our own family.   

Babs
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 22 2009 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote Babs

Ellie,

What a beautiful gift! Thanks for explaining your project, it sounds like a treasure compared to just placing in the book of centuries like we have done so far. When you make the pages for your family patron saints, will you print out everything or have the children include some handwritten info?

I think putting the pages together from scratch is one of the things that will make the kiddos enjoy it in the years to come.

I really want to do this but I need to be realistic with planning so it actually happens. I am trying not to start any more projects until I am sure how I will complete them, and that we will in fact complete them. Thanks again for your explanation, it was very helpful.

Barb
Back to Top View Babs's Profile Search for other posts by Babs

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2009 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

One of our favorite books!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version