Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Dictation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mayappleridge
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 19 2009 at 1:00am | IP Logged Quote mayappleridge

I have a few questions about dictation. First of all, what age do you start it? What is the method? Could someone please kind of walk me through a "dictation session" and tell me what it looks like? What part of day do you do this? Do you do it in addition to or instead of copywork? (my ten year old loves copywork! Go figure.)

the Explorer (boy) age 8
the Tiny Goddess (girl) age 3
and Miss Mousie (girl) age 2
Back to Top View mayappleridge's Profile Search for other posts by mayappleridge Visit mayappleridge's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 19 2009 at 1:15am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I came across this a couple months ago, and thought it was a good "peak" into dictation w/ a 9 yo (not that I would know or anything....my girls aren't old enough yet): Higher Up and Further In: A Dictation Lesson

There are also these posts:   
Teaching Spelling Through Studied Dictation
Other posts about Dictation

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Birdie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 19 2009 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Birdie

I use studied dictation weekly. Here is a blog post about how I do it.

Studied Dictation

I also teach grammar through poetry
Teaching Grammar Through Poetry
Grammar/Poetry blog post

italianalaskan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 20 2009 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote italianalaskan

Birdie,
I looked at Nancy Mack's book and liked what I saw, but I would like to know more about it. First of all, does she lead you lesson by lesson? Because I had the impression, looking at the lesson assignemnt, that you have to write your own lesson plan, pick your own poem and decide what to work on. Second, have you noticed a better understandment of poetry from your children after using her book?

I also took a look at Grammar Land. I think it would be a fun addition in our homeschool days. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's free anymore. You can only purchase a copy.

Thanks,

Simona
Back to Top View italianalaskan's Profile Search for other posts by italianalaskan

Birdie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 20 2009 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Birdie

Simona,
Nancy Mack's books include lesson plans, she leads you lesson by lesson, she picks the poems and tells you what to do with the poems with your students. She includes the poems in her books and she includes the lesson plans for the poems in her books. She also includes some ideas for extending the lessons where you would pick your own poems/literature.

Editing here because I cannot go beyond the link below in writing, that yes, my children are more aware of poetry after writing their own through the grammar program. I do think they chose more poetry to include in their nature journals too as a result. I could see and may do myself this year some matching up of Mack's lessons with Nesbitt's to help with identifying parts of speech.

Grammarland by M.L. Nesbitt is free to download, just click on the chapters on the left side and print. You can purchase the book too if you would rather not print it, that is what it means about the price listed and the book cover. The site offers free materials but also those same materials (books) to purchase if you so want. Feel free to ask more questions if need be, I will try and help. Grammarland

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2009 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

Grammarland is also available to download at Google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=iXgSAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA1&dq=Gram mar+Land&client=firefox-a

God bless,
Christine

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 3:13am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Birdie
Just wanted to say "thank you"    I ordereda copy. it is SO lovely!!

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version