Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Finding Series that Boys Love Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 29 2013 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Don't laugh....Trixie Belden

OK- not great lit, but great stories with lots of intrigue. Trixie's brothers Brian and Mart and their friend Jim lend a very strong boy presence to these books. There is plenty of fishing, riding, sledding, camping, exploring, etc.

They also travel around the country and visit interesting places.

We've listened to a few on tape, and my ds really likes them. He was hooked in the first book when Jim Frain had a shotgun

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 29 2013 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SeaStar wrote:

Not laughing, but nodding my head in agreement. My son picked these up this year and just loved them. We are on a quest to find more.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2013 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

My kids are really into historical fiction now. We just read "Will at the Battle of Gettysburg" prior to this weekend's visit there and we all thought it was great. I saw that the library has some other books in that series from different time periods that we've put on hold.
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2013 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I can't remember if I mentioned these on this thread already, but I highly recommend Elizabeth Enright's Gone Away and Return to Gone Away. This is a second summer we've listened to the audio. We're going to try the Melendy Quartet again. We tried 2 years ago...we'll see if this time will work.

And the Wizard of Oz series. I would wait until your child is 6 or older that he can handle magic, but these are delightful. There are many stories, all with morals. We only found 2 audio versions, but my older son read them all through 2x over.

And in a similar genre, Edward Eager Magic books, although none are as good as "Half Magic". That will always be the best one.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

JennGM wrote:
I can't remember if I mentioned these on this thread already, but I highly recommend Elizabeth Enright's Gone Away and Return to Gone Away. This is a second summer we've listened to the audio. We're going to try the Melendy Quartet again. We tried 2 years ago...we'll see if this time will work.

And the Wizard of Oz series. I would wait until your child is 6 or older that he can handle magic, but these are delightful. There are many stories, all with morals. We only found 2 audio versions, but my older son read them all through 2x over.

And in a similar genre, Edward Eager Magic books, although none are as good as "Half Magic". That will always be the best one.

Yes! for all of these. My ds loves the Melendy books, plus the Gone Away series. We'll have to try the Wizard of OZ... good tip

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2013 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
And the Wizard of Oz series. I would wait until your child is 6 or older that he can handle magic and fantasy, but these are delightful. There are many stories, all with morals. We only found 2 audio versions, but my older son read them all through 2x over.

I just became aware that L. Frank Baum was a theosophist. Theosophy was condemned by the Church. You will not find direct teachings, but some things might be influenced by his involvement. So I'm just giving a heads up.

His writings are fantasy. I read the whole series growing up, so did all my siblings and cousins. I would say Good and evil are clearly defined, and there is punishment for bad behavior. There is clear definition of character, including character flaws.

That the writings remind me of transcendentalism (like Louisa May Alcott), with everything on the natural level, there is no higher theological level at all. That always bothered me reading Little Women. They were good just to be good, not for a higher plane. But in Baum there is less emphasis on nature, which is high in transcendentalism.

P. L. Travers who wrote the Mary Poppins series was also a theosophist.

It gets frustrating to dig into people's biographies and find all this.

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2013 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but when browsing through the Rainbow Resource Catalog the other day, I saw a title called Books for Boys and More Books for Boys. I haven't used or seen those booklets, but I thought they sounded interesting.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 09 2013 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
SeaStar wrote:

Not laughing, but nodding my head in agreement. My son picked these up this year and just loved them. We are on a quest to find more.

One summer, my brother's physical therapist let me borrow her great big box of Trixie Belden books from when she was a girl. I loved them!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 09 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

rcarter wrote:

Also, how about the Dave Dawson series? American boy who joined the RAF, encounters Nazis, makes incredible escapes, etc. My brothers all enjoyed them, although I'd say my 9 y.o. is still a bit young, since the books are kind of long.

Thanks for this. We finally have a kindle to help our voracious boy reader (as well as for some of his school reading via the Yesterday's Classics library), and I was putting on the Tom Swift series, and when I looked at your link, I realized there are a lot of the Dave Dawson books for free for kindle I put the first one on my wishlist for future reference.

I also came across this Rick Brant series. The reviews are all very good, and given when they were written and how they were described, I assumed they are pretty safe. I'll let you know what we think.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2015 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Bumping this.

My DH is almost on the last book of the Little Britches series, and the kids have really liked it.

Last year he read the Lemony Snickets series to the kids. Very dark, but my boys enjoyed those books the most by far.

The year before he read The Wizard of Oz series, which was also a hit.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version