Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Does anyone NOT attend HS conferences? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 05 2009 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

JodieLyn wrote:
I've never been to one either. I have nothing against the idea of them. But like Natalia, I have to travel and many of them seem to have something against mothers with infants.. and as you can probably figure from my siganture line.. I rarely don't have an infant.

My kids by age 2 will casually wave goodbye to me and stay with someone for hours and hours.. but before then unless it's someone close.. their daddy or now that my sister lives here, their aunt. It just would not work.

And many of the ones I've looked at online just to see.. if the infant is more than 6 months old.. forget it. And since my littles nurse to at least a year and some exclusively past 6 months.. that makes it even more impossible.

And while I understand on the one side that parents are there to learn stuff too.. on the other it's like.. we love homeschooling and keeping our kids with us unless it's during our conference.

I hope to go to one maybe next year.. up in Washington, there would be 4real ladies to meet and they sound child friendly so my dh and I could both go and trade off and get to visit etc.

Jodie,
You bring up a very important factor! I was surprised last year, when I inquired into a local protestant hsing conference, and I wasn 't able to even bring my 12 year old!! I was hoping to find a math curriculum, and dh and I really wanted her to get a eyes and hands on experience with the curricula the "vending hall" offered. They would have nothing to do with it!

OH! If I had a nursing toddler...and couldn't attend-yeah-that would be a frustrating no-brainer.

ETA...Whoops! Not sure how I put a "Martha: at the end!! Deleted....

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Natalia wrote:
I have never been to one.I take that back, I remember I went to a Wholehearted Mother Conference about 7 years ago. I don't have anything against them, it is just that to go I have to travel. If they were in my town I would probably go. I think it can be energizing to be with other homeschool moms and to be exposed to speakers and their ideas. The only thing I would approach with caution, if I went to one, would be the vendors hall. Those things are dangerous!

I completely understand, Natalia! I ,too, would have to travel a ways to get to a conference I would be truly excited about! And the vending hal...yes, dangerous-yet a delicous temptation!

~~~~~

Martha! Wow! You give me hope!!

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2009 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

Hmmm.... We move around a lot, so I've been to conferences in STL, Mo.; NE; Dayton, OH; VA; and NJ-- all made the exception for nursing babies (no 6 month age limit) and I had a baby hanging off my hip just about every time. I enjoy them. Helps me reconnect with like minded folks when we're such a transient family. I like to hold the books and leaf through them.

I can totally understand being overwhelmed though, and I've been known to part with more $$ than I planned just 'cause something looked purty.

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Lauri B wrote:
We attended our first (and last) homeschool conference in 1994. :)

Whoa! Very telling, Lauri!

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Maggie wrote:
Jodie,

Unfortunately, I have found the same thing. I only have a 4 yo and an almost 2 yo...my 4 yo nursed until she was two...and my 2yo son, I think, will be nursing beyond 2.

There was a conference here in FL that I was interested in attending this year, but it said that "we are not able to accommodate children." I don't need anyone to accommodate my children. Just me. :)

It drives me nuts that people see children as a nuisance...especially Catholics. I feel like the "Culture of Death" seeps into things like this--unintentionally, I hope--but when children are viewed as distractions and nuisances, I think that's a bit problematic.

I think parents should be able to make parenting decisions for themselves...and not let a conference administrator make those rules.

So...I probably won't be attending a conference anytime soon, unless it was local...but we don't get too many of those...especially with Catholic, home school families.

Oh well...guess the Lord wants me to lean on Him. :)

A bit of a touchy subject for me, as you can tell. ;)

God Bless,
Maggie

Amen, Maggie! Understandably a touchy subject! I have seen this even within our parish. Argh.

Off topic for sure, but I was stunned by the price it cost a family attending our Lenten parish dinners!

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Bookswithtea wrote:
I used to attend a small Catholic one that was local when we lived in CA, but I haven't been to one in years now. Honestly, I find them overwhelming rather than encouraging, and a lot of the time, the speakers aren't ones that I would be excited to hear. Shopping by catalogue is so much more peaceful to me, and there isn't the baby/toddler issue.

Books, I think this is what has kept me away. I am much more of a shop at the small local health food store-rather than a WHOLE FOODS. When I go to Whole Foods, I spend too much time, money...and end up with a huge headache.

Just like I would rather curl up with a book than a computer...I guess I keep telling myself I will be fine with a catalog, and don't need a whole conference.

I think.

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Jody wrote:
I was just at the Wisconsin Catholic Conference as a vendor (with baby, toddler and pre-schooler in tow) and was just amazed at how wonderfully family oriented it was.

Not only do they have a CHILDREN's ROOM where the littles could do lots of fun activities, games, toys, etc...But they also had a great FAMILY AREA filled with comfy couches, colorful carpets that kids love, and bins of safe fun toys!! It was close to the vending area but nicely separate so my littles never wanted to venture out there. It was fabulous!

Also they had a private NURSING BABY AREA for those babies that prefer quiet.This was stationed in a private hall way with a privacy curtain , couch, diaper changing table and supplies if needed.
   There was a tea, coffee, water station on hand as well.

There were lots of families with lots of babies, toddlers, pre-schoolers, all the way up to the teens. It was really a wonderful conference.It was Very family friendly!!

Jody, that sounds sooo inviting! How blessed ya'll are up there!

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

TxTrish wrote:
I love conferences/curriculum fairs and like to attend when I can. My first conference was about 1994 before I had begun homeschooling, but knew I wanted to. I had a 2 & 4 year old at the time. My dear friend and neighbor took me, she had eight children at the time, and had always homeschooled. She was such and angel and it was amazing! All those other homeschoolers, family-centered christian folks in one place. That was back in the day for sure. Nearly all the ladies wore denim jumpers, had long hair, no makeup and it was exactly like the cliche's you hear. And most importantly they were wonderful. Kind, honest, and just lovely ladies one and all. I was hooked. We were living in the DFW area at the time.

Fast-forward, 10 years pregnant with #5 and living in west Texas, after a number of moves with work. My husband and my best friends husband sent us to DFW for mothers day weekend to attend the very same conference alone. They put us up in the Galleria (her hubby travels and has "points") and it was an ooh laa laa marvelous weekend. We went to our favorite thrift stores (you should have seen us dragging our good-will bags into that hotel) and searched out food to cater to my cravings! We had a perfectly lovely 2 days together and returned home refreshed and relaxed. It was the last year I went to a conference.

It isn't something I want to do yearly, especially with the internet the way it is now. I love the excitement of being there at the fair/convention in person, I am a curriculum junkie, a book junkie, and an educational stuff junkie in general - but, I can get get all the support I want and see materials virtually. But, I do love the talks. So, now I have even solved that one with the internet. Last year, for the first time I did Cindy Rushton's Ultimate Homeschool Expo - no crowds, no makeup, and all the talks I want! Yippee! Much easier on my family and on me (I hate to travel) Last year I did the Expo, and will again this year.
My kids were really super - we planned fun activities and got a couple new movies, and fun stuff for the week it was on, easy dinners and it was great. I got to sit in on all the talks I wanted to be "in" on for the chatting/question part, and have listened to the rest at my leisure on the ipod. (Ipod was a mothers day gift after the Expo last year.) Here is a linkfor the Expo: http://www.ultimatehomeschoolexpo.com/

So, my answer to your question.....
I think it is worth attending a conference - they are fun. It is so nifty to be surrounded by people who are aiming for the same thing my family is aiming for - heaven. The ladies are wonderful and sweet, the children who are about are pleasant and by and large polite, it is great.

Necessary? No.
Are you missing out? Yes.

Trish--thanks for sharing your experience and sage advice!
That,too,would be me-dragging in bags from thrift stores...back to my nice hotel room.

Back up on the fence I go!!

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Willa wrote:
I've never been to one -- I started hsing 15 years ago.

For a long time I had babies and no conferences nearby, and now I figure I made it this far so why change?

Unless I end up going with a friend sometime.... just for the experience.

Wow, Willa! Well, I suppose you're spot on!

After reading all of the responses, I think I,too, will hold out for the conference like the one in WI. That would defintiely support my overall view of how "functions" should be run.

There seems to be quite a lot of long time HSers here doing quite well without attending a conference. I am almost feeling at peace.

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 15 2009 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a
Back to Top View Nedra in So. CA's Profile Search for other posts by Nedra in So. CA

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2009 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Bookswithtea wrote:
Honestly, I find them overwhelming rather than encouraging,,,,,,Shopping by catalogue is so much more peaceful to me, and there isn't the baby/toddler issue.

Books,

I'm with you! While I don't mind the idea of them, I have never been to one in the entire time we've been homeschooling (8 years now). I think they are good to have for those who want to go and also to get the word out about homeschooling, but I just don't feel driven to go to one.

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version