Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Workboxes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 04 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

After reading this thread
I visited the FIAR boards and found out more. So of course I bought the book and we have been using the workboxes for a few weeks. I'm just wondering if anyone here is using them and how it's going.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Lisa in WI
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 04 2009 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa in WI

I'm seriously considering trying the workboxes. I think it would help me stay better organized. How has it been working for you?

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I am on the third week with one child. He likes it and the rest are begging for their own. I have not found it hard to reboot the boxes for the next day. Some of the boxes just contain a book with instructions to read the next chapter or do the next lesson.

Last week I put a brownie mix in one box and that was the day's snack. I wrote a note instructing him to go out and throw the football with the five year old for 10 minutes. That made the five year old so happy! So I change up fun stuff with book work. Of course important things are learned from the fun stuff as well!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

this is what I'm using for the last month or so and we are absolutely loving them.

they are sturdy enough to take anywhere and double as a "desk" and they hold several workbooks, plus pencil bag with crayons, markers, colored pencils, pencisl, erasors. or manipultice for MUS or whatever. they really do hold far more than they look like they will. I have one too for all my answer keys and lesson plans, complete with stickers, pens and such.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Jody
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Jody

Very cool Martha!

Jody

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I love the Brownie mix idea Bridget! My daughter would love that. Today, one of her boxes has a note that says "Teach a lesson about Kateri Tekakwitha". She just finished reading about her. Well, this dd is so excited about this assignment! She has her stuffed animals all lined up and she's been practicing all afternoon. My ds's favorite assignment today is writing his spelling words outside in the driveway with sidewalk chalk. I just put the chalk and his list of words in the box. 5yo ds enjoyed building letters with the wooden pieces from HWOT.

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I have lost track of how long we have been using them but I think we are on Week 6. They are a resounding success. Everyone is occupied for the 3 hours of our morning learning time. This has instilled independence in the younger two as well.

I have been having problems with filling the boxes up but I have found that organizational skills are a must for workboxes (at least they are for me.) Once I took time to plan the week's boxes out at a time, the filling time was reduced by half.

Blessings,
Julia
mom of 3 (9,8,6)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Yes, that's what I have found Julia. We get started, and 3 hours later I have to say we need a lunch break. Before, an hour into school work and they're all complaining about when they get to eat!
I also find that I need to plan ahead. I use a chart to keep track of what's going into the boxes. Planning for the boxes takes the place of the other planning I used to do, so the time is about the same. I gave my 10yo dd the chore of watching her brothers for 20 minutes in the afternoon so I can fill the boxes for the next day. It's a bit more effort, but the pay off is the amount of work we are accomplishing (even though it's spring!) and the kids, for the most part are more peaceful.
My 5yo can get a little "squirrely" but I think that happens the most when I don't incorporate enough moving or "just for fun" activities.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I really like those plastic storage boxes Martha. I have 3 different set ups, one for each kid, because I wanted to try the system before going out to buy the boxes and shelves that Sue Patrick recommends. I just used what I had to test it out. After doing this for a few weeks, I like the way I have my Ds's set up, which is similiar to yours. I'm going to link to my blog, so you can see the different ways I have the boxes set up, but I'm a bit embarrassed because my blog just isn't as beautiful as yours all are! Here's the link:
Academy of the Good Shepherd

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Becky Parker wrote:
I really like those plastic storage boxes Martha.

I'm a bit embarrassed because my blog just isn't as beautiful as yours all are!

oh now see there, I think yours is prettier than mine!

I'm getting addicted to those storage centers! I have 4 of them now!   

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

I have been using, and loving the workbox system for the last 5-6 weeks, as well. I bought each child one of these (and for the record, I paid $19.99 for each one!) I loved the fact that some drawers are deeper than others, so that we can fit bigger activities inside. For example, just last week I put a small bag of soil with gardening tools and seeds inside the deeper shelves!

Like everyone else has said, I can't believe how much we are getting done. It has also been so good for me to gather supplies ahead of time, instead of scrambling around (and losing the children's interest) at the last minute.

There was one day last week when i was sick and didn't fill the kids drawers in the a.m before they started schooling...my six year old dd went ahead and filled her own boxes that day...with very awesome activities (and her math and phonics workbook to boot!) made me think that this system can really still be child-led.

I think it is also very compatible with the CM lifestyle as I have left notes inside the drawers such as "Narration with Mom" or "Dictation with Mom" or "Go outside with your nature journal and draw something that is blooming"

I have been telling everyone I know about this, because i can't believe how productive we are compared to just a few short months ago!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

MaryMary wrote:

"Go outside with your nature journal and draw something that is blooming"

i can't believe how productive we are compared to just a few short months ago!

I like the nature journal idea. I've been thinking of ways to get my kids outside for a few minutes as one of their boxes. I have things like the dog's ball and a dog treat so they will go out and play with the dog for a few minutes, or a note that says "Run 3 laps" which means that they run 3 X's around the yard.

I also want to say we are so productive with this system. My baby is sick today and just wants to be held and rocked. My kids can go ahead and start on at least some of their boxes without me. This would normally be a day that I don't accomplish any school, but they are comfortable with the workbox routine so they canjust go ahead with it.

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Here is a list that I quickly compiled for myself for ideas about what to include in the drawers/workboxes. I have three children ages 3, 6 and 8... Hope these ideas help!

Preschool age:

-     Playdough
-     Legos
-     Coloring pages
-     Cutting pages
-     Matching Activities
-     File folder games
-     Puzzles
-     Computer Time
-     Pattern Blocks
-     Snack and juice box
-     Practical life activities( folding cloths, sweeping)
-     Playing with magnets
-     Feltboard activities
-     Magnadoodle
-     Toy cars/trucks
-     Baby dolls and clothing
-     Magazines to cut
-     Stamps and paper
-     Blocks
-     Plastic animals
-     Water play
-     Alphabet activities
-     Printables from abcteach and first-school
-     Chore cards (work with mom to clean bathroom etc)
-     Chalk and blackboard/whiteboard etc.
-     Sing along songs tape
-     Dvd or video to watch (when needing to work more intensively with olders on a project)

Young Children

-     Nature Journal
-     Audio Books
-     Computer time
-     Sewing/handicraft projects
-     Card Games
-     Art/Craft project
-     Music practice
-     Flash card drills
-     Typing practice
-     Oral narration
-     Dictation with Mom
-     Look through Cookbooks to find a recipe
-     Recipes and cooking utensils
-     Science experiments
-     Jump rope/sidewalk chalk/outdoor games
-     Handwriting/copywork
-     Logic/thinking skills/puzzles
-     Money/measuring activities
-     FIAR activities/lapbook pieces
-     Memorization work
-     Sight word practice
-     Silent reading time your choice
-     Silent reading time my choice
-     Poetry copywork
-     Games
-     Chore cards
-     Paper dolls
-     Regular workbook work (spelling, grammar, math, draw right now etc)
-     Watercolour paper and pencils
-     Foreign language practice

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Loving these ideas... we're trying to start the workboxes this week for my 6.5 yo son.

MaryMary, where did you get that system for $19.99? I'm trying to use what I have right now before spending money on more boxes. I'm a little concerned about some of these plastic cards not holding enough weight. Is it sturdy?

I need to finish reading the book so I can understand better about setting these things up. I want to do these for my 9yo, too. We use MODG lesson plans so I'm accustomed to her checking off her lesson plans I write up in the Good News student planner. ANyone got any advice on trying to do this part of it?

JoAnna

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

mrsgranola wrote:

MaryMary, where did you get that system for $19.99? I'm trying to use what I have right now before spending money on more boxes. I'm a little concerned about some of these plastic cards not holding enough weight. Is it sturdy?

I'm in Canada, so I bought them at a grocery store here called the Superstore (kind of like a Super Walmart) I noticed that the one I linked to was $42 for TWO of them, not a bad price, but i'm sure if you watch the sale flyers you could probably find an even better deal than that. Prices here in Canada are usually more expensive than in the States.

They are very, very sturdy...no troubles with holding heavier books.

I hesitated to spend more money on another "system" as well...but this one has paid off. I also figured that if it didn't work out, then I'd have three storage towers to hold paper and craft material !      

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2009 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Martha - do the drawers on your organizer come out and serve as boxes? I would like my kids to be able to pull out a drawer and then carry it with them to where they are working. I just don't have room for boxes on shelves.

MaryMary - thanks for the list!! I'll be using lots of your ideas.

Becky - Thanks for sharing your post on experimenting with different systems. It was very helpful.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Waverley wrote:
Martha - do the drawers on your organizer come out and serve as boxes? I would like my kids to be able to pull out a drawer and then carry it with them to where they are working. I just don't have room for boxes on shelves.

YES! They pull completely out like a box with a hinge lid. My kids put there assignment materiqals in it and wander away to whereever they want to work, or we each grab out box and take it with us in the car.... very nifty.

There's a picture of some of the kids using them in this slideshow, just click the "+" button to zoom past all the famiy stuff to the picture of them on the floor with 3 of the bins.
http://marthaamdg.wordpress.com/2009/04/05/check-out-my-slid e-show-6/

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

JoAnna,
We use MODG too. It works great for my dd who is doing 4th grade this year. I use a lot of small slips of paper that have the assignments written on them because I am using smaller boxes for her. But if you're going to use shoe boxes, or those like Mary, you could just put the book in the box with a sticky note explaining the assignment. For Math, my dd just knows to do the next lesson. For her history textbook it's the same - read the next chapter and do the test. For the historical fiction, I sometimes put a sticky note on it so she knows what pages to read. Other times, she just knows to read the next chapter. I put a couple "work with Mom" notes in her boxes too so we can discuss religion, history, or whatever. If you have a specific question ask away. The boxes are working great for this daughter!

krystab
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 05 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote krystab

mrsgranola wrote:
We use MODG lesson plans so I'm accustomed to her checking off her lesson plans I write up in the Good News student planner. ANyone got any advice on trying to do this part of it?

JoAnna

When I fill up my boxes (actually clear envelopes in one clear file box) I check of my list. I know they are going to get done now, so I just check off as I fill it. The children move the numbers from the envelopes to the front of the file box to "check off" their work. I don't use the schedule strips as it would be redundant in my system.

We have only used the boxes for 3 weeks, but the impact on our school is huge! This is the best thing I have ever done in our homeschool. I tell everyone too. My day is sooooo much more relaxed and we get soooo much more done. Love, love, love our workboxes. I don't think we will ever give them up. The kids really love them too and are really upset when they aren't filled and ready for them to do.

Krysta
Back to Top View krystab's Profile Search for other posts by krystab Visit krystab's Homepage

domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2009 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

I've been VERY interested in doing the workboxes as well. Martha, I went to Target and found the boxes but the ones they had only had 7 drawers total. Do yours have 7 drawers or do they have more? If yours only have 7, do you only do 7 assignments or do you double up on some of the boxes to make 12 like the author suggests?

Since I have to do a little reorganization of my learning room before I can add something that will take up even more space, I purchased Glad bags in 2.5 gallon sizes. These will store all the big books, puzzles and crafts. I will place these large Glad bags filled with the activities in a large basket that we've already been using to store my daughter's work in.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version