Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Picture book about Victory Gardens? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 29 2009 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Is there one? The only title I can find is this one and it isn't really about Victory Gardens at all.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 29 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh, Sara, this so intriqued me. All anyone has to do is ask about a picture book with a particular theme and I'm all over it - curious, too. I am not personally familiar with any Victory Garden picture books...yet . So I just checked the library website. There are a couple listed that cover it as part of the general homefront/WWII topic and I just requested those. I'll let you know in a few days what I think of them and if they really have much about Victory Gardens in them. From looking at Amazon, I didn't find much else available specifically as a picture book.

Ironically we were just hearing about Victory Gardens a bit today. We had our annual Catholic History Fair this morning. The speaker I had scheduled is a local Catholic author who writes books for children about children's lives during WWII. She showed us slides of WWII history including some of children tending Victory Gardens. It was very interesting. I haven't read it yet, but it sounds like the first book in her series - Doing My Part includes some mention of a Victory Garden and what it was. These books are about 4th-5th grade reading level chapter books. She has resources she is gearing toward shcools and homeschoolers and even has Homeschool Lesson Plan Kits for the books. We ended up buying one - I'll post a review later.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 04 2009 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Okay, here is what I've got.

My Daddy Was a Soldier: A World War II Story - Deborah Kogan Ray
Tells the story of a girl whose father is fighting in WWII. Covers the daily lives of her and her mother, including tending a "victory garden" with explanation of what it was and how Pres. Roosevelt had asked families to grow them. Black and white pencil illustrations.

Don't You Know There's a War Going On? - James Stevenson
Told by a boy whose brother and father are fighting in the war. Mentions the "victory garden" they planted and grew lots of kale ("Nobody liked kale. It tasted awful."). It has a humorous, told-from-a-boy-point-of-view approach. Very simple small watercolor illustraitons - kind of fun.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

We've read My Daddy Was Soldier and it's a lovely book, but the mention of the victory garden is VERY brief.

The other book is new to me, though, so I will check it out. Thanks!

Don't the Mitchells in Five For Victory plant a victory garden also? Not a picture book, but maybe as a read aloud . . .

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 05 2009 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

That's all I found - were the brief mentions. It doesn't look like there is a book with that as the main focus. The other book I mentioned is a longer chapter book and has several longer paragraphs on victory gardens - though still not tons of info.

Sounds like rabbit trail time....

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This looks like the perfect picture book on this topic. It isn't published yet, but will be this spring. I have really enjoyed all the books from the Sleeping Bear Press series "Tales of Young Americans." So I imagine this will be a well done book on a period of American history.

Lily's Victory Garden

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version