Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Reading Lists Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 25 2009 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I always hear people referring here and there in cyberspace to 'reading lists' for their children. In our home I have a ravenous oldest who just reads whateber gets put in his path and a slow but thourough middle chlld who works well with a book per term, and did I mention a busy 8yo who can read almost anything but would rather play with his little brother...

Anywhoo, I was wondering how you use your child's list once you have written it- is there a daily reading time and they just work through the list, is it in daily chunks ala Ambleside etc.

(Basically, I am hitting that point after 8 years where I need a new idea infusion, and some inspiration for the long haul....)

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2009 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Kristie,

In our family I make a list for each child to either read or be read to in the year. I get these from so many sources which I am sure some of these fine ladies can link you to

The only mandatory expectation is that my oldest (almost 9) read at least 30 minutes a day. She always reads more but it is her responsibility to tell me what she read for the day. My other ones are still little and mostly read to, so no formal to do lists.

Just thought I'd chime in and I am sure that the more seasoned homeschooling moms with older kids can tell you more specifics

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2009 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Thank you Mimi, that is along the lines of what I do for one of mine.

I should have been more clear, but the acutal list I am fine coming up with (it is the trimming them that is the sticking point), but was wanting to see ways in which people used their lists in their families.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 25 2009 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Well, I'm new to this independent-reading-thing too, so I'd like to hear how people do this too.

So far, I use various reading lists, request books from the library, then these particular books that they can read on their own, get put in a designated basket. They can then pick what they want to read. We have a 15-minute reading time in the am, and then quiet time in the afternoon. Most of my 2 oldest who can read on their own do mostly after the littles are in bed. We also read "meatier" things then, as it's the only quiet uninterrupted time we have.

If there is something specific I want them to read, I tell them, and put it in their own basket. They choose when they want to read it.

Also, next year, (I'm starting little by little now) I'll be able to transition some of our Ambleside reading to them......they'll be able to handle some on their own. For that, I'm thinking of doing a list at the beginning of the week with specifics. Or, just keeping the books that they can read, in a specific place and they can "pick". This would work with my one daughter, with the other....she'd need more instruction (the list).

I guess I look at it in two ways......

1.   Keep the books available (the physical location)....making sure that time is carved out for reading, but they choose what and when.
vs.
2.   Keeping an "assignment list"

I have a nearby friend who assigns everything....Book/Chapter/Day, etc. Then another friend who assigns things to be read within a given week, the kids choose when, etc.

Taking into consideration....
1. How your family carves out reading time
2. The physical specifics of a child reading in your home
3. Child's inclination to read on their own
4. Child's concentration level
5. How / when your books are available
6. Your curriculum....time sensitive things to be read

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2009 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Kristie 4 wrote:
Anywhoo, I was wondering how you use your child's list once you have written it- is there a daily reading time and they just work through the list, is it in daily chunks ala Ambleside etc

I do both. I have two types of list.

For the first "core" list I have some books I want us to go through more slowly -- usually more challenging, more pivotal to the course, etc. I divide them up into daily or sometimes once-weekly portions.   Some of them I read aloud and we discuss/narrate as we go.

Then I have a list of supplementary and free reading selections -- if the child seems interested in the topic, needs something to read, etc.   These we just work through "ad lib". I don't expect us to get through them all OR only read those ones.

If a child seems to need a nudge I might assign a free reading time per day and if they've been in a reading "rut" for a long time I might assign a specific book but usually they're reading more than the allotted time already.   So it just depends on the child.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2009 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Thanks. I do have a couple of readers who need that nudge. What you described would be a great fit for us I think Willa (do you think you could write a plan for me...what you recommend always works here (just kidding!)) I guess I have always had a hard time with the daily reading ALL planned -because the serendipitous will often get planned out. This is not so much with my ravenous reader, he will find time for reading always, but is an issue with my slower readers. For example, my 11yo daughter is on a Bronte and Austen kick that is more than enough reading for her without flooring her, but I would have never known she would have been ready for it and would have planned her other much easier books....

A Walk in the Woods

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2009 at 3:21am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Kristie

If you are looking for not having 'daily reading all planned', one tack I do is: clear a shelf on a bookcase in their bedroom and designate a shelf per child. Then I will place lots of interesting, at their level, perhaps slightly different genre and announce that I want them to read their way through. Some do, some don't.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Sounds great Erin!!

A Walk in the Woods

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version