Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: what do you do with your holy cards? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 22 2009 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

We have a keyring full for each of the children, and a couple of plate stands that we use for holding the cards to display them.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

mcchatty
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 25 2009 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote mcchatty

After some fiddling we have come up with a new way to display them-
http://fourpluspets.com/
Now I can't wait to have people over to show them the cards!
God bless, mcchatty
Back to Top View mcchatty's Profile Search for other posts by mcchatty

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2009 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Our kitchen cupboards have framing inside the doors... perfect for tucking holy cards into. Opening cupboard doors blossoms from mundane task into momentary prayer inpiration. I often rotate our holy card collection inside kitchen cupboards, and also place them in the corners of picture frames, mirrors, or sometimes in the edges of light switches.

For feastdays we usually stand a holy card in front of a special candle or statue. We have a very large wooden recipe box which holds the bulk of our holy card collection...it has a groove cut into the top (intended for recipe card when in use); another nice spot for displaying holy cards.

We've used trading card page protectors, with nine pockets, to creat a holy card binder. These can also be used to create magnetic holy card pockets...cut around the edges of several pockets from a trading card page protector, add adhesive magnet strips to the back of each pocket (magnetic business cards are the most economical and are best suited for this purpose). Tuck holy cards inside the individual pockets, then display on refrigerator doors, metal household doors, file cabinets, a magnet board and even metal serving trays. These are particularly nice for displaying a group of holy cards for various feastdays in a given month. The nice thing is that these are reusable, so you can easily interchange your cards from month to month.

mcchatty
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 27 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote mcchatty

It is really great to "cycle " them. To feature certain cardds at certain times of the year. Great ideas!
mcchatty
Back to Top View mcchatty's Profile Search for other posts by mcchatty

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

A bunch of mine are laminated for instant use with charts and liturgical year projects - we tape the backs to the chart and then re-use them later. I use a lot for All Saints and All Souls (well that includes cut out pics from the parish directory and laminated photos of deceased family or parish members as well as holy cards of childrens favorite Saints - We make a chart for the Church Triumphant,Suffering and Militant). I had to hunt for a holy card of the Trinity.

Other holy cards are in the top drawer for rotating according to feast or what we are studying. These are simply displayed on our prayer table. Some are used to decorate the fronts of prayer cards - we write down and use these when we are trying to learn a new prayer - so if we are trying to learn the Angelus, we will use several copies (one for each member of the family) of a picture of the Angel greeting Our Lady - and either it has the prayer on the back already or I type it out and laminate it to the back.

I have a bunch of unlaminated holy cards that the children use in making their prayer books, Mass books, rosary books, etc. (I'm not crafty so I just keep a pile and let the kids sort through) I can also hunt through them when I want an appropriate picture to go in front of a new prayer we are learning.

I am planning to put together a liturgical year notebook with saints for each day of the year - I have a CD of old Holy Cards that I bought years ago that we will use for this, plus other Holy Cards, plus the covers of the Fr Hardon magazines from way back when they were basically art prints, oh and pages from calendars and other such. Eventually it will all be organized. Right now it is in a sort of jumble. (I made one notebook for a priest friend who was teaching a high school course and was trying to illustrate symbols of the saints - lots of holy cards and pictures I have these symbols.

I do have some on rings, but I didn't make them and my children were never that attracted to these on rings.

Oh, and I do have a box of laminated Holy Cards that we use as bookmarks. (I laminate my cards as I have a corner when I'm laminating something else so we use the whole sheet kind of thing).

When the child develops a really special closeness to a saint, we do generally try to find a holy card of this saint and they use these for prayer books or if they can be blown up like my CD holy cards, then we make big pictures for their bedroom walls. We have some really awesome St. Michaels around here!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version