Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Cookie ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 19 2005 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I'm at a loss as to what to bake for Christmas this year. I have a 4 mo. old and I have plenty of company coming here and there throughout the holidays. Does anyone want to share some easy, but good cookie recipes? I just don't think I have it in me this year to roll out cookie shapes and frost. We're doing other creative stuff this year. Maybe some type of bars or slice-and-bake type cookie? I didn't want to go with store-bought . Any ideas?

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2005 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

My girlfriend recently gave me some of this crockpot candy. Later my Mom and I made them together. It is truly easy. Do not substitute any ingredients as I did (I used the new caramel and chocolate chocolate chips and the candy did not harden). Makes about 110 candies.

ENJOY!!!

Crock Pot Candy

1-16oz jar dry roasted salted peanuts
1-16oz jar dry roasted un-salted peanuts
1-12oz bag milk chocolate chips
1 4 oz. bar german chocolate-chopped small pieces
1 20 oz. bar white almond bark-chopped small pieces

Place peanuts in bottom of crock pot. Add other ingredients on top of nuts. Cover and cook for 2 hours on low setting. (DO NOT REMOVE LID WHILE COOKING). After two hours remove lid and stir well. Spoon out on waxed paper. I use the pampered chef cookie scooper. You can also put in the pretty little christmas cups. Should harden quickly.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2005 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Regular cookie dough (Chocolate chip, oatmeal) can be frozen in a log and then sliced and baked whenever you want just add 5 or so minutes to baking time.

This year I made refrigerator cookies from the Joy of Cooking. They are basically butter cookies that you chill. Some I rolled and cut with the kids. Some I dropped by spoonful onto a sheet like regular cookies. I also made the chocolate version of the dough and rolled a rectangular layer of the butter flavor on a layer of the chocolate flavor (I actually cut the whole thing into a rectangle after putting the 2 layers together). You roll them up like a jelly roll. Chill, slice, and bake and they make spirals, Very pretty for the effort put in. You can also add food coloring to make them prettier.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2005 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

For years our family has made these sugar cookies. We don't wait to chill and roll, but do the second option. For Christmas, use the colored sugars to make them more festive. These are delicious, melt-in-your-mouth cookies.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2005 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Because we host a Christmas Eve get together for choir members and those families who go to both masses on Christmas Eve, and because I just had Cecilia in late September, *and* let's face it, because I'm just tired this year and want to experience the joy and not so much the hard work of baking this year, I bought refrigerated dough for the first time. Yes, I'm unabashedly cheating. My children won't learn their measurements of flour and sugar this year.   

We're making chocolate chip reindeer, gingerbread stables, Christmas trees, and a decorated assortment of other Christmassy cookies. There's actually a refrigerated dough cookbook (if you can imagine it) that my daughter picked up at the grocery store. I was not with her because I wouldn't have allowed it. If you're going to buy the dough already formed, who needs to look at a cookbook? But it *did* have some cute ideas. I think Pillsbury publishes this little book.

My favorite part is that we don't have to mess up the kitchen too much.

God bless,

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2005 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

These are all good ideas, thanks.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 20 2005 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I know you said no store-bought, but I have to say those Nestle Break and Bake cookies are REALLY good.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2005 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

This is my best easy, festive cookie suggestion each year. We've been making them for several years now even when we're not in a time crunch. I don't have any idea what they're called .

Spread a good peanut butter on the flat side of a vanilla wafer and add another wafer on top. Now take your sandwich cookie and dip in melted butterscotch morsels. Use 2 spoons to cover the cookie completely and set it on wax paper. Sprinkle with colored sugar; we do half the batch red and half green. Let harden for several hours. Voila....Beautiful!

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2005 at 5:31am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Mom did not make individual cookies but made a coffee cake and a few bar cookies for the holidays.
My sister makes a cranberry layered bar cookie that looks festive. I do not have the recipe but I am sure there are some online.
The cranberry balanced with a chocolate brownie might be enough with a few cany canes and ribbon candy thrown in.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2005 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I have to throw in a recommendation to make little loaves of Cranberry Thanksgiving bread. It looks good, tastes good and is lots of fun to make (we always do it for "cooking math" class ). I sprinkle sugar on the top of the loaves before going in the oven and this adds to the festive-ness of it all.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2005 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

My mother-in-law has a wonderful recipe for cookies she calls Kolaches. They are yummy and look pretty, too. My kids have fun rolling the balls and putting in the jam. I adapt this recipe since we're gluten-free here. I add 3tsp xanthan gum and use a gluten free flour mix. They still turn out great!

1 8oz pckg cream cheese
¾ lb butter (3 sticks)
3 c flour
powdered sugar
jam

Mix ingredients and chill. Roll dough into small balls, then roll in powdered sugar. Punch hole with your thumb in the middle of the cookie and fill with jam of your choice. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 for 10-15 min.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2005 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

jenngm67 wrote:
I know you said no store-bought, but I have to say those Nestle Break and Bake cookies are REALLY good.

I guess I was meaning those packaged in hard plastic already baked in the bakery section. I forgot about already-made dough--sounds like a good idea, actually.

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2005 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Jenn-
Made the Sugar Cookie dough today. If the cookies taste as good as the dough . . .we're set! I do have it chilling, but I think I'll slice and bake it in rounds and let the kids frost and sprinkle. Thanks

I'm going to make some of the other stuff listed above this week. . .We'll see how it goes!

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 21 2005 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

I made a big batch of sugar cookie dough last week and every couple of days think of new ways to bake it. Today it was rolled in balls and then stamped with a flower cookie stamp and sprinkled with red sugar to look like poinsettas. A couple days ago I put a layer of melted chocolate chips in the middle and rolled it up. Then I sliced and baked them. I hope to do some plain circles and dip them half-way in chocolate and then sprinkle with coconut. That last one I saw in Family Circle.

JoAnna

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2005 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

mrsgranola wrote:
I hope to do some plain circles and dip them half-way in chocolate and then sprinkle with coconut.
JoAnna

This looks like a great idea! I might give it a try! You could probably do some without coconut & some with, huh? I like the stamp idea, too.

I saw easy cookies on eagle brand sweetened cond. milk and land o' lakes

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2005 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Sarah wrote:
I'm at a loss as to what to bake for Christmas this year. I have a 4 mo. old and I have plenty of company coming here and there throughout the holidays.

My favorite way to make nut clusters:

1 bag milk chocolate chips
1 bag peanut butter chips
Can of mixed nuts
Melt chips together in microwave, stir in mixed nuts and spoon out. Lots richer than using semi-sweet.

Throw-together Monkey Bread:

2 - 7 oz. cans refrig. biscuits
4 T. melted margarine
4 T. brown sugar
4 T. gran. sugar
1-2 tsp. of cinnamon

Glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar, 2-4 T. water

Cut biscuits in half and put in large bowl. In separate small bowl, mix sugars and cinnamon together.

Then, scoff at the idea of individually dipping each biscuit as you dump the margarine on top, mix, then dump the sugars and mix again. Toss into greased 9x13 pan (separate a bit, as necessary to spread the biscuits out) and bake 20 min. Let cool and pour glaze on. (Can easily double this, but still bake just 20-25 min.

Finally, I haven't tried this, but it sounds yummy -- scroll down to "Angie and Ali's Peppermint Bark" ... it's very easy and sounds delicious!
http://www.writersweekly.com/news_from_the_home_office/00314 0_12142005.html

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 22 2005 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Yesterday we made Toffee, Peppermint Bark, Rice Crispie Wreaths & P Butter Cookies w/a Kiss on Top. Why so many things you ask? Each child had something to make so no one was fighting.

Toffee ~ Melt 2 sticks of butter & 2 cups of sugar in a saucepan stirring constantly until the color of an old dirty penny. Pour onto a cookie sheet & let cool. Once cool, drop the sheet on the counter to break the toffee into bite size pieces. You can sprinkle chocolate chips over the toffee once you pour it onto the ckkie sheet. As they melt spread them out.

Peppermint Bark ~ Melt almond bark & stir in crushed candy canes or peppermint candy & then pour onto a cookie sheet to cool.

Rice Crispie Wreaths ~ Make rice crispies but while melting marshmellows add green food coloring. Scoop onto wax paper & form into wreaths. Decorate w/red hots.

The cookies ~ I bought a bag of unwrapped Kisses that had the recipe on back. It is a peanut butter cookie that once baked, you stick a kiss down in the center.

YUM!

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 22 2005 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

OOOOOO, I forgot one more easy & yummy treat. They are officially called Hello Dollies, but we have renamed them Big Mammas    When I was pregnant w/my 2nd child I ate these, thus the name

In a 9x13
1c melted butter
1c crushed graham crackers
1c coconut
1c chocolate chips
1c chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds)
Then pour 1 can sweetened condensed milk over the top.
Bake 350* for about 20-25 minutes. Let cool & cut into bars, squares, or just grab a fork!

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2005 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Another super easy thing: small pretzels, a chocolate kiss on top of each, melt just slightly in the oven and press an M&M into the top of each one. Little ones love to help with this.

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 26 2005 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote momwise

mrsgranola wrote:
I made a big batch of sugar cookie dough last week and every couple of days think of new ways to bake it. Today it was rolled in balls and then stamped with a flower cookie stamp and sprinkled with red sugar to look like poinsettas. A couple days ago I put a layer of melted chocolate chips in the middle and rolled it up. Then I sliced and baked them. I hope to do some plain circles and dip them half-way in chocolate and then sprinkle with coconut.

I loved this idea. When I read it I actually had a double batch of gingersnap dough in the fridge. I used half of it rolled in red and green sugar then pressed into circles with a glass bottom. The next day I baked plain circles and then dipped them (after baking) into melted white chocolate. I am here to say that is one of the best cookies I have ever eaten (I won'tgo back out to the garage and pilfer them out of the cookie box!).

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version