Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: not wanting/able to plan anymore Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 29 2009 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

CLANGING RESONATION HERE! and wow, what an eye-opener it is to hear — as I wallow in the option neurosis of these early years — from all of you with so much experience. thank you for sharing ... you're giving me a sense of hope and a reminder to not beat myself up so much.

blessings on you!
Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2009 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

stellamaris wrote:
My college psychology professor once said, "Option leads to neurosis." It's stuck with me all these years, I think, because it is true. There are so many options for teaching our children that it can create confusion. I have thought about this a lot. Why do I choose one course of study, and then, when a new catalog or new information comes along, feel I have to try the new way? I have concluded that there are a few underlying misconceptions that are getting in my way, preventing me from focusing and being content with ONE plan:
1. I'm afraid of failure If I don't have the right curriculum, I will fail as a mom and teacher and utterly ruin my children's lives. Response: Children learn under many different systems; a loving environment is more important than a fancy curriculum. It would be really over-inflating the importance of the curriculum to think it could ruin their lives, especially when so many different books and methods have been successful over the ages.
2. The perfect curriculum choices will make my life perfect Somehow I always fall for this one-the right books will magically solve all my problems. This is an extension of our generally materialistic culture that looks for the answers to life in that which can be purchased. Response: The only place that is perfect is heaven, the only perfect Parent is our heavenly Father, the true solutions to our troubles are found in prayer.
3.The right curriculum choice will compensate for my own lack of virtue If only! Sometimes I feel oppressed by my lack of consistent good habits, and then I turn to new/different curriculum choices thinking they will somehow make my days more orderly, serene, and productive. Actually, as you commented above, it only leads to confusion and discouragement, which now that I think of it should alert us right away to the source of these temptations. God is never the author of confusion. It's a kind of spiritual trap. Response: There's no substitute for self-discipline (bummer!), including the self-discipline necessary to stick with a curriculum that is working reasonably well.

Well, I don't know if any of this resonates with you all, but it's just what's been on my mind of late.

Caroline,

this is a keeper. Thanks for the reminder.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Bethany
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 29 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Bethany

Thank you Caroline!!! I needed to hear that. I KNOW that too many options in anything can begin to paralyze me and lead to indecision and exasperation.

I so want orderly, serene, and productive days and you tell me the right curriculum won't do that . Well, I guess I just need to make a decision and stick with it.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2009 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Yes, thank you Caroline! Your post and the Kim's blog post linked by Brenda (and then Rebecca's post linked in Kim's blog) have really set me free in my thinking! I finally think I can let go of my paralysis and just make a decision.

I think the "seeking perfection in a curriculum" part is me! I remain convinced after 13 years of homeschooling that there is something perfect out there that will make everything work out just.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2009 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote amyable

stellamaris wrote:
"Option leads to neurosis."

This is so true with me - even in every day matters like when one kid asks if they can work on their "novel" when I thought they would be doing history... they're both good! What to do, what to do...

stellamaris wrote:

1. I'm afraid of failure   ...
2. The perfect curriculum choices will make my life perfect ...
3.The right curriculum choice will compensate for my own lack of virtue ...

You mean these aren't true?? Picture me with my fingers in my ears singing lalalalalalala You ladies are bursting my bubble.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version