Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Easter dinner? brunch? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 31 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

What are your traditions for feasting for Easter Sunday? Do you do brunch? or dinner? or both?
Is there such a thing as an Easter Ham? Turkey?
Do you dine out on this day? I haven't been in the States during Easter for 20 Years, so my memory fails me. My extended family usually goes to the country club for dinner. This year no one will be in town, so it is just our little family. I may ask a couple of single women from our Parish to join us, but first I need a bit of an idea...

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2009 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

We have gone to Easter Brunches at Hotels.

We usually eat at home though - early dinner/late lunch, but a little heavier then brunch foods, I guess.

My DH loves to have ham, my Mother always served lamb, also. With mint jelly.

We always had what my Russian Orthodox Grandmother called "Easter Cheese" - it is similar to a cannoli filling, but different. And, really, really good.

And...spring time foods...is how I think of them in my mind - macaroni salad, red potato salad (the salad is red, not the potatoes, it has beet juice in it...), deviled eggs...

And a lamb cake. I have my Mom's old mold, it weighs like 500 pounds, but I know you can buy new light weight aluminum pans too.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2009 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Our thanksgiving is often out of our control and traditional american. Our Christmas goes a bit English with a prime rib of beef as our main dish. We do mexican around New Year's. And we go for the polish/german part of our heritage with Easter.

Now Poland was traditionally a Catholic Country and did the heavy fast of no meat at all, no fats, etc. so Easter was a HUGE feast. We do a ham as our main meat dish.. when we have more company I try and expand that to the main types of meat we eat (poultry of some sort, beef maybe a polish sausage).. side dishes are more up for grabs.. we all love mashed potatoes and/or mashed sweet potatoes with ham.. well ok.. not all the kids like the mashed sweet potatoes and of course some sort of hard boiled egg.. when we had a Polish priest he blessed parts (or all) of the Easter meal so we had blessed hard boiled eggs.. less is more in this regard.. get one or two and slice them so that everyone can eat a slice but not have to eat a whole egg but deviled eggs are a lovely side dish. I like a hot veggie and a green salad and a jello of some sort.. a molded jello with part of it having sour cream or cottage cheese mixed in.. or just a jello salad.

And sweets.. oh yummy sweets.. pound cake and cheese cake and kolacky are the main ones I try and have each year. Not to mention the Easter basket candy

Oh it's an early dinner.. and we also have a brunch.. with special things but not too elaborate.. that's usually only our immediate family so that will hold us to an early dinner.. and skip a lunch altogether.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 01 2009 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Thanks for the heads up on lamb cake. I remember as a child, my grandma always baked a bunny cake. I bet I could find a lamb form. Where do you buy your hams? Do you get one at Costco or some specialty shop?

Man oh man, Jodie, I would love to be invited to your FEAST! Who does all that cooking and baking?

I would still love to hear more of your traditions!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 01 2009 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well, my older kids do a lot now. The ham is easy. I just get one from the regular grocery store.. they normally go on sale about now and I can get a whole ham (about 20lbs) for .99/lb then I have the butcher cut it in half (when you buy the half hams the shank half is usually the same price but the butt end is meatier and cost more per pound.. this way I get both for the lower cost, freeze one and cook one)

the jello is my oldest "speciality" she's been making it for the last few years..hmmm I might see if she won't pass that down now.

a child usually does the green salad as well. The polish cookbook I have says a lot of the meat is served cold.. I've done a deli platter of turkey and roast beef to eat on rolls to add to the ham. hot veggie is uaually easy dump in pot and cook though I sometimes do broiled asparagus just have it ready to cook when the ham comes out. kids help with the cookies and cakes.. oh and rolls or I'll do a braided bread wreath that's fun.

I love cooking so mostly it's just a case of setting aside time to do it for several days in advance.

And we'd love to have you for dinner.. too bad we're on opposite sides of the country

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version