Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Anyone in Massachusetts or Connecticut? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 31 2009 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote hmbress

So, it looks like we may be relocating from southeast Michigan to either MA or CT, and we get to choose, so I need some help. DH's work would either be in Marlborough, MA or Windsor, CT. Is one state/area more or less desirable than the other for various reasons?

Does anyone have a good realtor in either area? Any towns that we should consider, in terms of affordable housing/cost of living or other factors? Any towns where there is new construction going on? Here are the things that are most important to us:

- strong Catholic diocese (or at least some orthodox, vibrant parishes)
- active homeschool support groups
- good Catholic high schools
- reasonably near a metropolitan area
- racial diversity (our boys are biracial)
- access to good medical care
- short commute (around 20 minutes)

I can't believe how expensive housing seems to be in those areas! Here, one can get a really nice, large, brand new home with all the amenities for around $350-380. In MA, from what little I've perused online, it looks like that barely buys a much smaller, older, less equipped home in sore need of updating.

The company DH is looking at has asked him to specify the salary range he would need to relocate there. They really want him - they asked what it would take to get him to work for them. However - I am afraid if we ask for what we'd need to purchase something like what we could get here, it would be completely unrealistic. If anyone can help me to get perspective on what is reasonable to expect, housing-wise, I would very much appreciate it. Feel free to post it or PM me if you'd rather.

Thanks so very much - this is very stressful for some reason!!

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2009 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Hm. I just replied to this post and it doesn't seem to be showing up. I was going to come back and add that you can look at cost of living calculators online like this one to see what your salary would need to be in your new town. We've found it to be a good starting place for stuff like this

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 31 2009 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Yes, Susan, we have found several cost of living calculator sites and were surprised that they each give different numbers, some varying quite a bit from each other. But it certainly does give us a general flavor of the cost differential, which is very helpful.

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2009 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Anyone?

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2009 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I can't help too much - and likely not at all - but something to consider: yes, the cost of living is higher, but so are the typical salaries for the same position. For example, even as a nanny, I easily earned 150% or MORE on the east coast, than I did living in Michigan (where I have lived most of my life until the last 2 years - the last 4 years spent in Ypsilanti). So, your husband's potential employer is likely expecting to pay higher.

Can he find out what other people in his field/position/experience make in that area? That might help you come up with a realistic range - even if it doesn't "feel" realistic coming from your current area.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2009 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Heather, I grew up in southern CT, but know nothing about the Windsor area which is a good hour from my hometown.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2009 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Hi Heather,

I'm in CT but not too close to Windsor. I do know of an EXCELLENT Catholic homeschool group in Waterbury.

Wish I could help more :(.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2009 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I'm from CT but have never lived there with kids. Glancing through your list I would probably go with Marlborough just because it is a more populated area so the resources will be richer. Its still Western MA so if you don't like the busy city/suburban thing that shouldn't be a problem but you are much closer to Boston and Worcester there. I think Windsor is kind of the middle of nowhere. Hartford isn't that great. Catholicism in New England leaves much to be desired but Boston does have a good bishop now and when I was going to college outside Boston there were lots of great priests coming into the diocese (I think that would be the Boston diocese, but I might be wrong . . .).

Just two cents from a not-very-informed ex-New Englander. Good luck--I know these decisions can be tough.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version