Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Adapting Sonlight Core 7 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 01 2009 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Marilyn it sounds like your dd and mine are very similar. So glad to hear a good recommendation about the Brit LIt from SL. I'm going to be looking at MODG too thanks to ladies here!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I've been studying and thinking, too. I'm having a hard time getting excited about *anything*, though. Nothing in the SL catalogue is really providing that energy and enthusiasm that I thought it would. I still like the history portion of core 7, but not the literature portion (sigh...not really high school level, as most of you already pointed out), and I'm not sure its worth it to me if I have to alter significantly. I still like Kolbe's lit. for 9th grade, but that leaves me without a history program or language arts.

I've been looking in terms of that 4 yr block with planning. I like the look of 400, for gov't and American lit, but I don't like the bible program at all and I do not know if it can be easily separated from the rest of the program. Its a very weird bible program, giving a lot of weight to two thinkers on gov't I am not overly impressed with, Rushdoony and Gary North. (eta: that's Gary North, not Oliver...thank you, Elizabeth )

I also like the look of their economics program, but does it sound terrible if I say I don't want to spend 1 1/2 yrs on govt/econ? I was hoping to just spend one year total on both. Those of you who have graduated students...do you think gov't is important enough to give it a full year?

I like the look of the British Lit, but I want a history component to go with it, and I keep looking at MODG because I know they have one, but I have a hard time imagining using their history. We haven't enjoyed it in the past.

I don't have a clue what I want to do for Am. history.

I haven't the slightest idea what I'm going to do, after all.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Natalia wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
the St.George bookstore suggestions

What is the St.George bookstore suggestions?

Also wondering what this is...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 02 2009 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

St, George's Books now sells all of the books recommended in RC History's program.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 02 2009 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We did Sonlight's British Lit when it was brand new and we liked it very much. By that time, Michael was taking a history course at the cc to get credit, so I didn't worry about the history component.

There's a government option here at Teaching Company. I combined it with this one from Great Source for Bobby because I knew he'd get bogged down in Sonlight's and he'd have no patience for the religious focus.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Bookswithtea wrote:

I also like the look of their economics program, but does it sound terrible if I say I don't want to spend 1 1/2 yrs on govt/econ? I was hoping to just spend one year total on both. Those of you who have graduated students...do you think gov't is important enough to give it a full year?

I don't have a clue what I want to do for Am. history.

Books

My friend whom I mentioned yesterday - has written a very good American History program - it is in the SL-Catholic group files if you belong to this. It really is excellent. Here is her description - "American History and Literature – this one I kind of made up.    I merged Joy Hakim’s books with Christ & the Americas, added in a literature course I found on Rainbow Resource, and also used Critical Thinking through US History for analysis of actual documents."

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version