Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: How we think - 5. Lent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 20 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

We've covered a lot of material together! Thank you, thank you! Now can we brainstorm ways to apply what we are learning to Lent? I'll get us started but encourage everyone to share in any way you see fit!

Prayer. What prayers, scripture, or the like, can we say when faced with thinking distortions, unhealthy attitudes, and difficult circumstances For example:

Should Statements/Inconvenience/Misunderstandings/Mistakes - Lord, I entrust my past to your Divine Mercy.

Future-telling/Misfortune/Tragedy - Lord, I entrust my future to your Divine Providence.

(I borrowed those two from an awesome homily today .)

Here's the list:

Thinking Distortions
All or Nothing
Overgeneralization
Mental Filter
Disqualifing the Positive
Jumping to Conclusions, Mind Reading, Future Telling
Magnification, Minimization
Emotional Reasoning
Should Statments
Labeling/Mislabeling
Personalization

Unhealthy Attitudes
Approval/Influence
Love
Achievement
Perfectionism
Entitlement
Omnipotence
Autonomy

Difficult Circumstances
Inconvenience
Misunderstanding
Mistake
Misfortune
Tragedy

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Here are a few verses that I'm going to specifically be praying over Lent.

This first verse could probably be for any scenario. I am planning on praying it alot. I know I need it alot!

"Create in me a pure heart, Oh God; and renew a steadfast spirit within me." Psalm 51:10

One that I am going to pray when dealing with wanting the approval and love of others is Psalm 46:1-2a

"God is my refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore, whom shall I fear?"

Sometimes I struggle with the whole FEAR of others not liking me and not having their approval...so I need to remember that GOD alone is my strength. GOD alone is my salvation (another verse Psalm 27:1) NO ONE can take that from me. And no one ELSE's love for me determines my standing before God.

Psalm 27:1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Approval"The only grace I ask, O Jesus, is never to offend Thee." St. Therese

Love “Our hearts are restless until they rest in You.” St. Augustine

Achievement "The only happiness here below is to strive to be always content with what Jesus gives us." St. Therese

Perfectionism/Mistakes "The remembrance of my faults humbles me and makes me afraid to rely on my own strength, which is nothing but weakness." St. Therese

Entitlement "Naked I came forth from my mother's womb, and naked shall I go back again. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD!" Job 1:21

Omnipotence "For you are great and do wondrous deeds; and you alone are God." Psalm 86:10

Autonomy/Blame "You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:5

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thank you, Candace! I was cross-posting with you .

Keep the prayers coming! Also, can anyone think of ways that this material can help us with almsgiving and fasting?

Love,

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Angie Mc wrote:
Also, can anyone think of ways that this material can help us with almsgiving and fasting?

Well, I know fasting triggers my emotional reasoning. You see, I get panicky when I'm hungry and can't eat for some reason, like a fast. Then I am tempted to stockpile when I am allowed to eat again.... and I am tempted to be grouchy and preoccupied.

I think I read somewhere about trying to just accept hunger and pay attention to reactions without being ruled by them. So I'm going to try that...gulp...

I'll probably be praying "Give us this day our daily bread" and Luke 1:53 "He has filled the hungry with good things and sent the rich away empty."

I'll try to think of some more!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Angie, I cannot think of any insight with fasting or almsgiving. How's that for lame? I will learn so much from reading this.

I need this so much this Lent. I am Melancholic and right now I am immersed in a thinking pattern of doom and gloom with our school. I know I just need to retrain myself to see the positive.

So now I haven't really added much here other than I wanted to say thanks. I will keep reading and learning.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I was pondering this discussion and other struggles in my life, and I kept coming back to "love" and "living in the moment." I came to the conclusion that I need to make a conscious decision to be sure I am "loving in the moment."

I love my family and would lay down my life for them, but I'm not being asked to do that. I have to die to myself in moment by moment. Laying down my desire to "finish this post" in order to engage my child in the moment out of love. Or keeping my temper since losing it is often out of love of myself.

It seems that much of the distorted thinking comes from lack of humility whether it is a desire to place my own desires over what is being asked of me ("it'll only take a minute" but maybe I'm supposed to surrender even that minute of doing what I want) or the belief that I can be perfect by my own strength (omnipotence and perfectionism).

Litany of Humility

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

CandaceC wrote:
Sometimes I struggle with the whole FEAR of ...

Psalm 27:1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

Candace, you are so right to draw our attention to the danger of fear. Thank you! This emotion, driven by distorted thoughts, can act as a BIG SIGN to stop and ask ourselves, "What exactly am I afraid of?"...disapproval...rejection...failure...mistakes...loss of control...the future?

Here are more bible quotes to encourage us to     be not afraid!

Love,

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Willa wrote:
Well, I know fasting triggers my emotional reasoning. You see, I get panicky when I'm hungry and can't eat for some reason, like a fast. Then I am tempted to stockpile when I am allowed to eat again.... and I am tempted to be grouchy and preoccupied.

I think I read somewhere about trying to just accept hunger and pay attention to reactions without being ruled by them. So I'm going to try that...gulp...

I'll probably be praying "Give us this day our daily bread" and Luke 1:53 "He has filled the hungry with good things and sent the rich away empty."

I'll try to think of some more!

This is very helpful to me, Willa. (I can use the same idea to help me to not react to being tired. I definitely am inclined to magnify the impact of being tired and let the "I'm tired" thought free float in my mind, badgering and badgering. God provides.)

Thanks, and do share more if you have the chance.

Lvoe,

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Sarah wrote:
Angie, I cannot think of any insight with fasting or almsgiving. How's that for lame? I will learn so much from reading this.

I need this so much this Lent. I am Melancholic and right now I am immersed in a thinking pattern of doom and gloom with our school. I know I just need to retrain myself to see the positive.

So now I haven't really added much here other than I wanted to say thanks. I will keep reading and learning.

Sarah, I'm not having a lot of insight into how this helps with fasting and almsgiving either at the moment. Maybe they're coming to us slooooooooooooooooowly You are welcome and please know that your contributions here are valuable . If you like, we can all stay in touch during our retraining, here at How we think - 6. Stories and Encouragement.

Love,

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Lindsay, I'm so with you on the needing to "live in the moment" I was just coming to add my bit from Scripture that helps..

Quote:
Matthew 6:34. Be not therefore solicitous for to morrow; for the morrow will be solicitous for itself. Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof.

I'm fond of the poetry quality I find in the older language of the Douay Rheims

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

CrunchyMom wrote:
I was pondering this discussion and other struggles in my life, and I kept coming back to "love" and "living in the moment." I came to the conclusion that I need to make a conscious decision to be sure I am "loving in the moment."...

Litany of Humility

Lindsay, your insights and the Litany are beautiful. I'm adding the Litany to my prayers during Lent. Thank you.

JodieLyn wrote:

Quote:
Matthew 6:34. Be not therefore solicitous for to morrow; for the morrow will be solicitous for itself. Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof.

Thank you, Jodie. Sufficient is right...not too hot, not too cold, just right .

This Lent I'm going to try to show my "love in the moment" by avoiding ugly reactions. I've come to realize that I have quite a repertoire of non-verbal impulsive reactions to perceived inconveniences, mistakes, and misunderstandings. They include, but are not limited to, sighing in disgust, rolling my eyes, stomping a foot or hand, and other ugly facial expressions. How these behaviors can be so hidden from my awareness is beyond me because they most certainly are not hidden from my loved ones . I am not entitled to not being inconvenieced! Mistakes will be made. Misunderstandings will happen. I'm hoping to replace my ugly reactions with more loving and truthful ones...gentle smiles...serious yet understanding glances...stoic expressions. I'm watching the John Adams series and am observing Abigail very carefully . I hope to replace my thoughts with "Blessed be the name of the Lord." I'm going to get a lot of practice...

Love,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version