Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Meatless meals Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 17 2009 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

We go no-meat for lent.

Anyone care to share their favorite meatless recipes?

I am especially looking for soups.

AND main dish type meals WITHOUT eggs, cheese, dairy...

Any ideas?

thanks!

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Pasta and Bean Soup

4 TBS olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried rosemary
3 C cooked, drained kidney, pinto or cannellini beans
2 C diced tomatoes (I almost always use canned)
6-8 C veggie stock or water
salt and peppr to taste
1/2 lb small pasta
grated parmesan cheese (optional)

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil.
Add rosemary, beans and tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes begin to break down (~10 min).
Add stock or water and salt and pepper, raise the heat and bring to a boil.
Add pasta and simmer until the pasta is done, but not mushy.
Sprinkle with cheese if desired and serve.

Sometimes I also add 1/2 lb chopped, frozen spinach with the stock and we almost always eat this with homemade bread.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2009 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

SaraP wrote:
Pasta and Bean Soup

This is great! Thank you!!!

Kyra
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 17 2009 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Kyra

I'm afraid I don't have a real recipe, but curried broccoli-potato soup is good. Cook broccoli and diced peeled potatoes in vegetable broth until tender, puree, and add a tablespoon of curry paste. You can vary it a lot- peas are good that way, and so is cauliflower.

Do a stirfy with tofu that's been marinated in teriyaki or miso or sesame garlic sauce.

There's a peanut noodle sauce dish that we eat pretty often. Are you familiar with Sriracha, the Thai hot chili-garlic sauce? It's wonderful stuff on practically everything. The recipe goos: mix peanut butter, soy sauce, and Sriracha in 3:2:1 ratio (I usually end up with about a cup of peanut butter, 2/3 cup soy, 1/3 hot sauce. Add a cup of vegetable broth or water.

Boil a pound or more noodles. Stifry broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy- whatever you've got- cut into bite-sized pieces. Drain the noodles, add the veg and sauce, stir to coat, and cook for about five minutes to blend everything.

You can use more or less hot sauce as your family prefers. You can add meat to this if it's a non-Lent meal, or tofu, but it's got a decent amount of protein from the peanut butter.
Back to Top View Kyra's Profile Search for other posts by Kyra

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

My DH's favorite meatless meal is fish tacos with a marinated broccoli slaw and avocados. I apologize for the format, but I am a recipe follower.

Blackened Fish Tacos:
Slaw:
¼ cup sliced green onions with tops
2 tbsp snipped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp Cajun or blackened fish seasoning
2 cups broccoli slaw mix
Fish:
1 lb tilapia (or catfish) fish fillets
1 tbsp Cajun or blackened seasoning
1 avocado, seeded and sliced
8 (6-inch) tortillas, warmed
3 medium radishes
Additional cilantro (optional)

1.     For slaw, in a small bowl, combine green onions, cilantro, lime juice, oil, garlic, sugar and seasoning; whisk until blended. Add slaw, toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
2.     Heat Grill Pan over med heat. Moisten fillets with water and sprinkle with seasoning. Lightly spray oil on the pan. Cook fillets until fish flakes easily with fork (10-12 minutes).   
3.     Cut avocado into slices lengthwise. Warm tortillas. Top with slaw mixture, fish and grate radishes over fish. Top with cilantro and additional cilantro, if desired.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We eat black bean and rice tacos a lot in Lent. I cook the beans and rice together, add taco seasoning, spoon into shells, top with salsa and avacado.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

cactus mouse wrote:
We go no-meat for lent.

AND main dish type meals WITHOUT eggs, cheese, dairy...

Laura, are you trying to observe the Orthodox Lenten practices? Enquiring minds want to know ...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2009 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Bookswithtea wrote:

Laura, are you trying to observe the Orthodox Lenten practices? Enquiring minds want to know ...

Oh! Well, actually, we always try to go no-meat for lent. We did it one year and my dh liked it - so.

As far as the Orthodox Great Fast - have you read the guidelines? Oh, my gosh. Only one meal a day during the week, no meat, fish, dairy, eggs, olive oil, wine at all for weekdays, during the first week of Lent it is a true fast - only two meals from Monday to Friday...geesh...it made me feel like a wimp when I read it. I did read that most people don't follow it as strictly as written, but still - wow.

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2009 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

Oh, Laura, I 'm so glad you responded to this! I posted like you did on the 'what are you giving up for Lent thread...'

It is a strict fast I was blown away as well- but I remind myself that the Orthodox do this throughout the year, for various stretches of time, and every Wednesday and Friday. So, does that make it easier for them?

I would like to do the abstinence part of the fast on Wednesdays and Fridays of Lent, but I'm struggling with how to do it - particularly the oil issue. Do I skip all oil (that kills every vegetarian recipe I've read) or substitute - and if so, what's an equally healthy oil to use?

Spirit v. letter of the law....

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2009 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

I used to make Lasagna when we were dairy, and egg free. I just cooked lasagna noodles, layered with sauce, spinach, and nutritional yeast. The kids loved it!

We also used NY as part of a baked potato bar that we had about 1-2 times per month. Potatoes - broccoli, NY, Beans, salsa, chili (meatless). Each person made their own.

Pancakes, french toast (use orange juice rather than milk and egg).

We are going meatless also this Lent. We can have the dairy and egg now - but do to allergies we cannot have fish or seafood. So most "Lent" meals are hard for us to follow. I usually search Vegan blogs.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 22 2009 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

Soup recipes -

Best Lentil Soup
I've made this also subbing garbanzo beans or white beans. It's really good!

Root Vegetable Chili
In the crockpot.

I just made Golden Cauliflower Soup today, and everyone loved it (even my husband, who got really scared when I brought home a vegan cookbook from the library this week!)
To make it heartier, add cooked white beans and puree them with the potatoes, etc.

You can also add white bean puree or tofu to spaghetti sauce! You can't even taste it and it gives a protein boost!Meat Free Sloppy Joes

Lentil Enchiladas:
Cook 1.5 c. lentils and 1.5 c. rice with 6 c. water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook on low until lentils are tender and rice is soft (25-20 minutes for white rice, 45 minutes or so for brown).

Season with garlic, onion, cumin, salt, pepper. This tastes basically like nothing, so you'll want to really spice it up!)

In a separate bowl, mix 8 oz. sour cream (or plain yogurt) w/ 1/2 c. - 1 c. shredded cheese.

Put enchilada sauce in a bowl. Make your ownor open a can! Dip a corn tortilla in the sauce, lay on a plate, and put a couple spoonfuls of filling inside. Top with a spoonful of sour cream mixture. Roll up and put in pan. Do that until your pan is full or you run out of filling!

Pour remaining enchilada sauce over corn tortilla rolls, top with cheese, bake 375 for 10-12 minutes until hot and cheese melts.

We've been hit by a budget crunch, and only eat meat maybe 2-3x a week right now. I'm getting pretty good at the bean thing! LOL!

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 22 2009 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

Tami wrote:
0- particularly the oil issue. Do I skip all oil (that kills every vegetarian recipe I've read) or substitute - and if so, what's an equally healthy oil to use?

You can cook onions, etc. in a little water or vegetable broth instead of oil.

Using onions, garlic, carrots, celery, etc. as a "base" adds a lot of flavor to vegetarian dishes.

Also, "bean juice" (the stuff that drains from the can of beans), mustard, and vinegar makes a pretty good vinaigrette!

If you can get to the library, the McDougall's and Dean Ornish both have tons of recipes in their various books that have no fat in them.

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Tami

Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

We go meatfree here, too, for Lent......this will be the 23rd year, I think.

We do not go dairy or egg free.......I tried one year........it was SO stressful for me to come up with such special recipes........I knew I was not called to do THAT!

12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote 12stars

Awesome recipes, writing them all down.

Just curious does anyone have a recipe for vegtable stock?

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I saw a link in Margaret in MN's combox that the "Pious Sodality of Church Ladies" will be posting 40 Meatless Meals.

Also, it looks like Ruth provided links to last year's Meatless Recipes for Lent in her sidebar at Just Another Day In Paradise.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

My husband thinks this meal is too good for Lent, but it's what we're having for dinner tonight. It's meatless, egg and dairy free.

Sweet and Sour Vegetables:

Cook 3 cups white rice

Stir-fry in oil 4 cups of vegetables. We use onion, carrots and green bell pepper, sometimes mushrooms.
We like to add 1 tsp ginger and 1 tsp garlic but will leave it out if we don't have any.

In a saucepan combine:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
2 T cornstarch dissolved in 2/3 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally;
Combine with vegetables.

Serve over hot rice.

We like it this way, some people might like to add pineapple and/or use some pineapple juice in place of the water.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Stephanie - that looks delish! I'm writing that one down and adding it to my recipe file! This is a great Friday meal! Thanks for sharing!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Stephanie_Q wrote:

Sweet and Sour Vegetables

Oh, yum! This looks perfect, thank you!!!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

cactus mouse wrote:
As far as the Orthodox Great Fast - have you read the guidelines? Oh, my gosh. Only one meal a day during the week, no meat, fish, dairy, eggs, olive oil, wine at all for weekdays, during the first week of Lent it is a true fast - only two meals from Monday to Friday...geesh...it made me feel like a wimp when I read it. I did read that most people don't follow it as strictly as written, but still - wow.

We did a Byzantine Great Fast (which is pretty close to that Laura describes above) one year and it was the BEST Lent because I had to focus on each and every meal I made. I couldn't just make cheese pizza or mac'n'cheese (my standbys for a "normal" Lent). It was really hard ... but as I said, it was right for us at the time. I don't know if I could do it now ...

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version