Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Pictures books featuring Chickens Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Oh, Shawna, we would like to borrow that book!

The Egg by MP Robertson

Not exactly about chickens......but a sweet dragon story....and LOVELY illustrations

Chickens to the Rescue by John Himmelman

Can we just say, just plain silly???

Dora's Eggs by Julie Sykes

Perfect for the toddler/preschooler for learning and practicing animal sounds....board book.

A Basket Full of White Eggs: Riddle Poems by Brian Swann

Riddle poems from different cultures

Down the Road by Alice Schertle

very sweet family story with lovely illustrations. For those looking for stories featuring African American children or families....this is a sweet choice

A Chick Hatches by Joanna Cole and Jerome Wexler

Perfect photographic story of a chick's life

Henrietta Lays Some Eggs by Syd Hoff

Cute....usual Syd Hoff illustrations

Big Chickens by Leslie Helakoski

Goofy story........young'ns should enjoy it

This Little Chick by John Lawrence

GREAT and LOVELY engraving drawings..............story is simple for toddlers/preschoolers.....esp as learning animal sounds

Chicken Chickens by Valeri Gorbachev

cute........will be loved by the young group........and esp young twins :)

I still have more to go!   

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

Mary Jane Auch books are very comical and relate to real ballet and operas. Titles we have read and enjoy over and over again are Hen lake, Peeping Beauty, and Chickerella. I found others on the link that we have not read, but hope to soon. Bantam of the Opera and Beauty and the Beaks. Enjoy a laugh or two with these chicken books.

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Those are funny titles, Anne! We have read Hen Lake in the past, and have it in the pile now. I will have to see if I can find more!

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Anne wrote:
Mary Jane Auch books are very comical and relate to real ballet and operas. Titles we have read and enjoy over and over again are Hen lake, Peeping Beauty, and Chickerella. I found others on the link that we have not read, but hope to soon. Bantam of the Opera and Beauty and the Beaks. Enjoy a laugh or two with these chicken books.

These must be the books Mary K was talking about. I just made a list of chicken books to check out from our library (my husband just brought home 10 chicks -layers- for our new chicken coop) I was happy to see a lot of these recommended books - including several by Auch and 5 "Minerva Louise" books - are available.

Another one that looks interesting is "The Chicken Book" by Garth Williams. Oh, yes, and Patricia Pollaco has one that is kind of about chickens: "Just Plain Fancy" that we've read before. Thanks, MaryM, for the Little Red Hen recommendations!

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Welcome to Zanzibar Road by Niki Daly........a resident of South Africa

Cute, funny....sweet!

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2009 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

donnalynn wrote:
I love this book of the Fox and the Rooster story - there is also a version illustrated by Barbara Cooney out there (I think).

The book Chanticleer and the Fox by Barbara Cooney was a Caldecott Gold Medal Winner published in 1958. It has a great moral about the dangers of trusting in flattery and colorful, simple drawings of the animals, clothing, fences, and farm buildings of medieval times. Might fit into a medieval study for littler ones as well as a chicken study...always looking to pack a little bit more into each minute! The original story is from The Canterbury Tales.    [

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 05 2009 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

stellamaris wrote:
The book Chanticleer and the Fox by Barbara Cooney was a Caldecott Gold Medal Winner published in 1958. It has a great moral about the dangers of trusting in flattery and colorful, simple drawings of the animals, clothing, fences, and farm buildings of medieval times. Might fit into a medieval study for littler ones as well as a chicken study...always looking to pack a little bit more into each minute! The original story is from The Canterbury Tales.    

My children and I really enjoy this book.

stellamaris wrote:
oops, well, I guess I need to figure out how to quote!

No problem . Here's the key...after hitting the quote button in the upper right hand corner of the post you would like to quote, leave [QUOTE=name] plus whatever you want in the quote and end it with [ / QUOTE ] (but with not spaces.) It gets a little trickier with quotes within quotes, just look for the beginning QUOTE=name and an end /QUOTE for each. Hope I didn't make this more complicated than it should be!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2009 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

YEP! We are STILL at it!!   

The Golden Egg by Maggie Keen

Sweet art!! Young....but we enjoyed it anyway.

Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss

This was just plain fun........and I am not much of a Seuss fan.

The Cinnamon Hen's Autumn Day by Sandra Dutton

Egg to Chick by Millicent E. Selsam

excellent show of the 21 days of the egg's life.........does include talk about sperm and egg.........which does inspire questions.....could always skip that part

Chickens Aren't the Only Ones by Ruth Heller

Love the usual pictures and the learning about all that lay eggs

Cluck o' Clock by Kes Gray

Really cute look at the day in the life of a chicken

Bantom of the Opera by Mary Jane Auch

Funny.....like all of her books!

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 13 2009 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Not exactly a book, but found Gene Kelly telling the story of the Little Red Hen on Kiddie Records Weekly; 2006, Week 36: The Little Red Hen If you click on the cover, it brings up another image where you can read the story inside the record sleeve. Audio Stream works well on our computer...

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 04 2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

One Hen - set in Ghana, it's a story of "kojo" loans that help poor families start small businesses. This starts with a little boy getting part of a loan to buy one hen and how he sells the eggs and gets more hens, and builds the business into a very successful one in Ghana. Has a side rhyme (along with the more detailed story) that is like "The House Jack Built." Excellent story of hard work, perseverance and success.

The Chicken Chasing Queen of Lamar County - About a little girl who loves chasing chickens until she realizes if she just stays close and watches quietly they won't be afraid. Really fun collage illustrations.

cock-a-doodle hoooooo! - story of a lost owl who wants to be a rooster, ends up saving the hens and they let him stay.

Big Chickens (which Chari mentioned already) and Big Chickens Fly the Coop are a series about chickens who are "big chickens" (afraid of everything). My 9 year old thought they were hilarious. I thought they were goofy, but they are cute.

Two fun little stories that feature some Icelandic culture and traditions:

The Problem with Chickens- when the chickens stop laying eggs the ladies of Iceland have to come up with a clever plan to solve the problem.

How the Ladies Stopped the Wind - with the help of some chickens (to provide the fertilizer ) the ladies in Iceland grow some trees to break the wind.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

MaryM wrote:

How the Ladies Stopped the Wind - with the help of some chickens (to provide the fertilizer ) the ladies in Iceland grow some trees to break the wind.

Sorry, but the wording here made me laugh...
Anyway; we're also still reading about chickens (and ducks). We had to renew Vivian French's version of Henny Penny because after numerous readings, my 5yo really wants to get through the whole thing by herself. She's so close!

Baby boy due 10.13

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Stephanie_Q wrote:
MaryM wrote:

Sorry, but the wording here made me laugh...
Anyway; we're also still reading about chickens (and ducks). We had to renew Vivian French's version of Henny Penny because after numerous readings, my 5yo really wants to get through the whole thing by herself. She's so close!

Now, you are making me laugh - I can't believe I worded it like that --

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2009 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

We just discovered Tillie Lays an Egg

Oh, my! The author used pictures of her own backyard chickens to illustrate the book. You will crack up when you see Marge. She just looks like a Marge, KWIM? Tillie doesn't like to use the nest box to lay her eggs, so she lays them all over. Half the fun is finding the egg on each page. My favorite chicken was Twinkydink, but they are all beautiful ladies. Makes me want backyard chickens!!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 28 2013 at 1:08am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bump...

As long as we are talking chickens again...add any new chicken picture books to the list. There must be some since 2009.

Henny Penny (Paul Galdone) - newly reprinted this year in a lovely version Folk Tale Classics

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is a lovely story - I'm a sucker for pioneer and immigrant stories though - and this is both. It is very sweet story of friendship and of course...chickens.
Nora's Chicks - Patricia McLachlan

Here are a few more new ones. Thought these were okay.
Can Hen's Give Milk? - Joan Betty Stuchner & Joe Weismann
Told like a folktale, humorous family story.

Six Little Chicks - Jez Alborough
Nice for younger set - chick outsmarting the fox story.

Also just came across this one:

Gimme Cracked Corn & I Will Share - Kevin O'Malley
It is very "corny" as the title suggests. It is all chicken puns and humor.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 21 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Don't Count Your Chicks - Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire

It is an oldie, but I just discovered it. It hadn't been mentioned yet. It is really sweet and has the D'Aulaire charm.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 23 2014 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Peggy - Anna Walker

Really sweet little book about a backyard chicken that accidentally gets out of yard and has an adventure into the city but eventually finds way home. If you have backyard chickens, I think you will especially enjoy it.

Preaching to the Chickens (Jabari Asim) - background story on John Lewis, Freedom Rider. Chickens play a prominent role. Lovely E. B. Lewis illustrations.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version