Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Latin for 7th grade unschooler Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 22 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

Latin Road to English Grammar. I've used it for 3 children. Start it in 7th grade with Book I, finish in 9th grade with Book III and VIOLA- 2 years of high school Latin DONE. Love this program.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 22 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Lisa R wrote:
Do you know if it's a good fit to use after Latina Christiana II or would it be a lot of repeat?

I don't know, Lisa...but I'm planning on using it with my 8th grader next year. I can't tell you how hard we've tried to make Latina Christiana work...and it just doesn't for us. I think we're in a pretty good spot to pick up Latin Alive! and have it really benefit us. The author of the program makes a very good and reasoned explanation as to why Wheelock's isn't a good fit in the middle/high school years and that the purpose of Latin Alive! was to be a bridge between an elementary/basic Latin to a more structured intense college level Latin program - which Wheelock is. She explains this in a pdf I found very interesting - you can download it and read it if you link to their page on Latin Alive! (scroll down a bit).

From the Classical Academic Press site - page on Latin Alive!:
Quote:
This first text in the Latin Alive! series serves as both an introduction for the middle school and high school student who has not previously studied Latin, and also a “bridge text” into more advanced study for students who have studied Latin in grammar school. If your student has gone through all of the Latin for Children primers, you will find this first year of Latin Alive! to be one of accelerated review, with greater explanation of grammar and increased reading and translation.

It might be worthwhile to write to them and check on the progress of the second book in the series and if it would better fit for where you are, Lisa. HTH!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 22 2009 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote molly

MOlly, how far are you from Christendom? Perhaps a student from there can tutor you dd.
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2009 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Too far, unfortunately. We are too far from just about everything come to think of it!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version