Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: scheduling issue-running out of time? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

I think I could use some advice. Everytime I make up a schedule, I start out at 5 a.m. with shower and prayers and go all the day though till 9 pm when the kids go to bed. I schedule everything by the half hour or so, and schedule in school class times etc. (with a breakdown of what to do when.) So, what happens when you add in everything that really has to get done each day and you run out of time??? Dumb question right? But seriously, we have to do all of our school, prayers, bathing, meal prep and eating and cleanup. I left an hour in for p.e./lunch break and then time in the evening to visit with Dad for about an hour, but other than that, I at least, and really the kids, are going all day just to accomplish the daily needs. I am obviously setting myself up for failure, I don't have a good sense of time and am not responsible enough to follow these schedules I make since I KNOW my life would be better with one, but I hate to follow one. Is there help/hope for someone like me???

I also don't know how to juggle so many children when I put down "English rotation" for about a half hour or more in the morning. It will take me longer than that most likley, but do I have the time? No. So, I will have to try to rotate them all between a half hour to an hour. (Yes, they DO need the help!) Then, if I have everything so back to back with school classes, what happens when my 12 year old son doodles all the way through history and his vocab time slots!!! We just waste a lot of time each day. How can I become more accountable to myself and help my kids become more accountable. There just doesn't seem to be enough hours in a day, and when I schedule things like laundry in the evening, really the only time I have to do it, I don't FEEL like doing it then since I am more of a morning person and like to houseclean in the morning when I have energy and sit around at night and read when I am tired. I always set myself up to fail.

Also, I was trying to figure out how to add my little kids into the learning mix with activities, stories, nature walks etc. When does regular "scholastic style" learning of the older kids interfere with the more CM methods of learning with the little kids, and if I have to spend so much time helping the big kids stay on track, when can I fit in the little kids???? I just can't seem to find the balance and I KEEP coming up against this problem again, and again, and again! ANy one figured this out yet???? I had thought about classes to toss out here and there, or to just do nature walks on a Tuesday for example during science's usual time slot.

Also, I find it very hard to grade papers consistantly each week and to do lesson plans each week. Again, time!!! I think I am missing something very simple or am just so hopelessly disorganized that I make it much harder than it is???         & nbsp;     

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

are you doing a single schedule? you may find that if you do schedules for everyone that it won't be so bad.. so

you and a designated helper can be doing meal prep while several other children are picking up the living room.

You can be doing a subject one on one while everyone else is doing somethign they can work on alone.

So like you schedule math and english together.. you work one on one with the child doing english while everyone else is working in their math books and you rotate through.

Also, you may find that when you're trying to put things into such small time slots that you use up more time than needed.. like you might have 30 minutes for meal prep even if you're done in 20.

What I do to help with some of that is have a FEW things pegged to a time.. say.. getting up but then have a list of things that follow that.. so you get up at 7am and then you "shower, get dressed, prep breakfast, eat breakfast, clean up from breakfast" and have your school time starting at 8:30.. none of the rest of those things need a time you start.. you just start from when you get up and go down the list.

now you should also have a child collecting laundry and sorting laundry while breakfast is being made.. and other children picking up their rooms while breakfast is being cleaned up..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh and would your dh mind you reading or doing some sort of hand craft (knitting, crocheting, embroidery) or grading papers etc while you're sitting with him? Make yourself available.. so that if he says something to you, you set down what you're doing and give him your attention.. but when his attention is on the tv you have something else you can do while sitting with him.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Eight Wonders wrote:
Also, my husband likes to relax in the evenings and likes me to sort of "hang out" too, which I don't like to do since he is mainly watching t.v. which is very boring to me and a timewaster. Should I just sit there and watch t.v. even though my time budget is so tight??? Again, not enough TIME!

My dh likes this too, and I am *so* not a TV person. It is very difficult for me to sit and watch a show- just not my thing.

At all.

But my dh likes to watch, and he likes me to be close by, so I often just sit next to him- he watches, I read. Or crochet. Or do seasonal/school planning. Other times, after a particularly difficult day when I just really need quiet and the TV is grating on my nerves , I'll give him a kiss and tell him I'm going to read in bed. But I do try to stay in the living room with him if I can. He knows I don't enjoy watching the TV, and it doesn't bother him that I'm not watching- he just likes me to be there, I think.

We've started playing games one or two nights a week (and this may not be your thing, but I love board games and could play them everyday!), and this is a nice way to unwind together that we both enjoy.

As for getting it all done each day- I'll let some of the other mothers of large families answer that one- I'm afraid I've nothing to offer you but prayers!

Hugs!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

All very good answers.
O.k. Now that I have embarrased myself and shown my lack of organization, I will ask yet another silly question. Do you all find that you have to refer to your plan all the time or do you just remember it? I tend to be the type that follows every little interruption and have more of a reactive day as opposed to a planned day. How do you stay on task and remember when you are supposed to do what?? I know! How SAD!!! But, I tend to feel as if I am sort of turning in circles a lot and just putting out fires and things like that. Perhaps I should have BIG routines in the day, which are already sort of there, get up times, feeding times, bed times and make them set in stone. (An example would be that I am always late with lunch and dinner lately. I am overwhelmed by the mess that occurs when we have a meal due to the little ones, and don't even like to begin till I absolutely have to these days. Then, clean up takes SO long. It is hands down my least favorite room in the house and walking in there makes me feel like a failure instantly. I had thought about having that as a hobby on the side, menu planning, really keeping it organized in there, cleaning out drawers (one a day as I cook0, things like that, but I have to be honest, I don't have TIME to do that!!!!! I am sort of shocked by the lack of time I seem to have to do anything these days, but realize I must be wasting a lot of time. I mean, I am sitting here typing this post. I could have organized several drawers, but I don't want to since the kids will just throws stuff wherever when they do dishes at night. (My husband insists that the kids help with the dishes which sort of causes more work for me.)

And I think you are right Jodie about planning in larger chunks of time with a little less stringent "to dos" but overall to do's like bathing, kitchen (meals, cleaning up after meal) etc.

I am sure I am just going about it incorrectly!       

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Only "incorrectly" in that there are many ways to manage this and perhaps the one you're trying to use isn't a good fit.

And believe me it's not something I do well myself

But every once in a while I get hints that I'm moving in the right direction.

Now is not one of them.. actually I'm very close to where you are. In that I'm trying to get a decent schedule going but everything is all cattywampus and baby has been up late so I'm sleeping in because I just can't function on that little amount of sleep.. so things aren't going well.. but I keep plugging along and trying to move us in the right direction.

And those things I told you above.. those are exactly what I'm trying to do.. and right now I'm feeling very positive.. that as soon as I can actually force myself to follow it that it WILL work

-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Good for your dh in insisting that the kids help with dishes.. I'm trying to get there..

What you might need is more training.. yes more time right now.. but haul them back in when things are just thrown in and make them do it right. Eventually they'll do it right and save you work.

-Sir Walter Scott

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have a couple of thoughts, Kim.

One - don't schedule in such small blocks of time. Schedule a bigger block. My routine is to move in larger chunks. This is to allow for "life" to happen and also allows some wiggle room in the day. There are a few times we finish up early or don't need quite as much time to accomplish something...that allows me to start a bigger project that I know needs more time to accomplish early or to have some relaxing time playing and reading. It also allows for laundry, diaper changes, nose wipes, focused attention, and with a larger chunk of time I don't feel rushed. So...bigger blocks...

I don't have the number of children you have, Kim, but my routine looks like this:

* 2 hours to accomplish morning prayers, chores, breakfast and cleanup.
* 1 - 1 1/2 hour blocks for learning in the morning
* 1 hour block for lunch (that's tight and I keep meaning to adjust it.)
* More 1 - 1/12 hour blocks after lunch with naptime for littles
* A 15 minute tidy before Daddy arrives home
* Dinner prep (I usually start my dinners cooking after lunch so all I need here is to round out the meal)
* Meal and cleanup...for however long it takes
* Evening prayers together and a family read aloud
* Bedtime is observed strictly at 8 - but older children are allowed to stay up and read

After 8 is my time...I spend that like most of you - reading or laptopping on the couch next to my dh who enjoys watching movies or ballgames or the news. I don't mind this and I actually really enjoy being with him in the evenings...but I'm kinda mushy that way.

Bed at 10 and start it all over at 5:45 the next morning.

Eight Wonders wrote:
I also don't know how to juggle so many children when I put down "English rotation" for about a half hour or more in the morning.

For the different ages, different lessons, different littles all needing different things from one mommy during the day - what can I say...it is orchestrated chaos to some degree. I do my best to anticipate as much as possible. This means that I ask my 7th grader to do work that she needs little instruction or brief explanation during a time when my 3rd grader needs more focused attention. And so on. So, I try to spread their needs out.

We also do one large hour and a half family block in the morning that covers religion, nature study, poetry, music - all together. I keep all of those books in our morning inspiration basket. That leaves a lot of independent reading time throughout the day, some writing instruction and math. Our history block is done together as well. We study the same thing, but they focus and go in depth to different levels.

I try to set out small, purposeful centers for my little guy and also for the baby who is exploring. So, I guess what I'm sayin' is...I try to be purposeful to circumvent some of those challenges, but the rest is just a juggling act and I try to do the best I can to meet needs one at a time in a kind and cheerful way.

What I don't do during the week is clean and plan. I can't. There is just enough of me to accomplish meals, laundry, and daily lessons. I do tidy the house for 15 minutes before Rob gets home. My goal is always to keep the house ordered enough and simplified enough that it takes me 15 minutes to tidy it daily. That means that I do a deep clean every Saturday (the children all help with this) and do seasonal deep, deep cleans and purges - every season. I don't know how it happens, but clutter and disorder creep in and if I'm not attentive it *will* take over.

I plan menus and grocery shop on the weekends as well (sometimes, I plan next week's menu on Friday afternoon). That's it. I plan a seasonal master menu list to choose meals from, I format a master shopping list based on my seasonal menu. This means that weekly, I choose meals for the week, check off needed items on my list, go through my coupon file and put that in my drawer for shopping time.

Now, lest you think my day runs like clockwork...it doesn't. I have a system for that too. Like you, I get behind. When that happens, I circle a task in red and just consider it missed for the day. We move on to the next thing. At the end of the day, I move that missed task to tomorrow's work. Sometimes, work or tasks keep sliding and then they just get absorbed in next week's action items. Make sense? Then, I'm not constantly feeling behind...if I miss something, or a task/lesson runs over - fine. I circle it so I know we missed it and resolve to pick it up another day and move on.

Eight Wonders wrote:
Do you all find that you have to refer to your plan all the time or do you just remember it?

I learn my basic rhythm...morning routines, lesson times, meal times, activity blocks, evening routine...but the details I don't remember. I'm a list makin' gal! I follow my details on paper with a pen throughout the day. It doesn't dictate my day in an inflexible day, but it does give it purpose and rhythm and order - all things very important to me and the way I'm hardwired.

This already seems waaaay too long, Kim. Forgive me for going on and on...I know my situation is different than yours and the more children you add to this picture, the challenge increases exponentially.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

How embarrassing...that was way too long! I'm sorry, Kim!

sigh...I'm going to be concise when I grow up!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Ours is very loose, although I "aim" for better. Right now, we have complicating factors (twin 20mos olds changing sleep schedules and in a temporary fussy stage, plus DH on a split shift at work, two days normal hours in the office, three days working graveyard...).

I am *hoping* that once he gets into the office full time (instead of working shifts for the county Emerg.Dispatch office), we'll be able to get and stay on some sort of a "real" schedule, instead of kind of floating thru our days, getting things done as they get done.....

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Mackfam wrote:
How embarrassing...that was way too long!

No! It wasn't! It was quite helpful for me, actually!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Kim,

Can you cut back about one half of what you think needs to be done on your schedule? God made us with limits and recognizing them is very humbling. I mean this in all kindness as a sister with the same thoughts here.

I am slowly coming to terms that there is simply more that has to be done than is humanly possible, so I must let go of the idea that if I could just find that one system, one secret, or one special tip I would have it all worked out. You are not a failure. You have a very full plate and a joyful life.

However, I feel, at least for myself, that if I cannot come to terms with the reality that lots of things that were planned will go undone every day, then I am destined to either give up, be unhappy, always in a bad mood, or worst of all, despair.

Exactly as you posted is what is happening in my home. In fact, when I read your post I was amazed at how it sounded like me and what has been on my mind lately.

If we have a productive school day the house is a wreck and laundry is behind. If the house sparkles and shines, there were kids with lessons unfinished.

I'm starting to see that it is more about asking God, "what is the need of the hour? What do You want me to do now, dear Lord?"

Now, I'm not advocating to stop planning, but I think the plans have to better fit my physical limitations. If God made time and he gave you these children, then there is time to do His will. Maybe He doesn't want us to run ourselves absolutely ragged. Maybe He could care less what our drawers look like. Maybe, just maybe, we are trying to simply do too much.

I met a women recently who let me in her house to show me the curriculum she used with her 2 children. They were homeschooled all the way through and are doing wonderfully at a popular Catholic college. Even though she had the time to do more with her 2 kids (she married late and could only have 2), she simply did math, a language arts lesson of some sort, and one other subject each day. They practiced piano and dad read catechism questions for 15 minutes before bed. She assigned a chapter book and gave them 2 weeks to finish it! If they were done early then they still had the remaining time for their own leisure. I couldn't believe her simplicity. She told me that she asked little, but what little they did had to be done well. How often do I ask a ton and its all done poorly because I thought I was too busy to really help the child.I know my life is very different than hers since I have 6 children, but I could learn something from her simplicity. She also said she did not watch the clock. They were done when it was done right, not when the clock struck a certain time. She said that the fact that no lunch would be served was a good motivator. But she emphasized that the checklist for the child needed to be realistic.

Maybe they really do not have to be doing as much daily as we think they do!

Wow I rambled! Sorry.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

WOW!!! LOTS of food for thought. I am going to print everything out to "study". I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful post and they were not too long at all. I really need some hand-holding in this area, and I felt as if I was being led around the room and pointed in the right direction.

What I learned so far was:

1. Maybe this "orchastrated chaos" is "normal" and I am striving for something (in my head) that isn't possible in this season of life.

2. I need to make larger chunks of designated time in my day instead of small ones.

3. I should make meal plans and lists to help me more. I always sort of "wing it" OR make a list and ignore it. At least this way, I would feel as if something was accomplished, and I would have a path to follow for the day.

4. deep clean and plan on weekends

5. invest some time in training the kids

6. try to designate purposeful areas for the littler kids so they won't make such messes while I am doing school and they can feel included etc.

I would love to know more details about seasonal meal planning, Jennifer and how you plan your lists etc. It all sounds lovely and organized! Lately, I have been REALLY bad about cooking and being organized in the kitchen. Last night, I was late getting dinner and just took about 8 lbs of frozen chicken thighs and started boiling them. No plan whatsoever at 4 p.m. mind you. Just a panicked, "Oh no, husband will be home soon and there isn't anything cooking for dinner and my won't he be uspet and hungry and boy I have really messed up everyone's dinner now" sort of thing. I ended up having enough good leftovers (husband found these, not me) for half the family and since we had a good lunch, the rest of us had potatoes and brocolli for dinner!) This is from the gal who USED to be very planned out, did the once a month cooking deal or at least had a plan of some sort, cared about how the meal turned out. I am just burnt out on the whole meal prep thing, money is tight so there isn't a lot of wiggle room for creativity, in my spoiled view perhaps, and I seem to have stopped taking pride in the kitchen. Isn't that sad?? I really need to take back my dignity in this area, polish up my cook badge or whatever, and get back into the swing of things. My husband sort of sheepishly told me later that night. "Uh, honey, I don't think you can just boil 8lbs of chicken and then not really know what you are going to do with it." He suggested I make BBQ chicken tonight with it, and he has been doing A LOT of the cooking lately since I seem to have stopped caring. I don't want to not care, but I can't seem to force myself to get out of this rut.

I don't know why I don't like my kitchen. It is actually really nice, but the underlying disorder in there gets me from "GO!" to frustrated in about 3 seconds these days, it is always dirty, despite daily floor moppings from my son (he gets a "ticket" for this which gives him special priviledges) and what feels like constant cleanup. My twins and one year old are VERY messy at the table. I mean ......V....E....R.......Y........messy. I cannot stress how messy they seem to be! I had even considered going back to feeding them myself. I think I am often so rushed in there that they end up spilling cereal milk, or dumping over glasses (we always lose sippy cup accessories so I gave up on them too.) Training in there in how to eat might go a long way for me perhaps???? How do you shake yourself out of a rut?

I don't feel as if my kitchen is the "heart" of the home as people often remark. We don't hang out in there like a lot of families seem to. For one thing, my kitchen is oriented towards the back of the house and it isn't sunny which annoys me more than I thought it would. It is always dark feeling in there instead of bright and sunny. Also, our kitchen chairs were meant for the dining room so they don't fit correctly under our table. Therefore there is always this crazy chair shuffling and pushing around all day, which over time, becomes like nails on a chalkboard; just one of those little things that makes you freak out! At dinner time, I am usually the last to sit down and inevitably, there is NO chair for me, and I have to go hunt one down, or a boy goes to get one for me, grudgingly. Every day, a chair ends up missing!! I don't recall this ever happening at my house. I get stressed about this table/chair situation, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone else because they all have chairs! Anyway, we cannot afford a more workable table/set of chairs right now, so I have to deal with this minor problem, but in the course of a day of little "minors", it can add up!    

Also, I tend to live in the shadow of when my Mom might "pop" by and this is sort of stressful for me and I always feel as if I have to sort of keep things clean all week, but it is always a mess. So, internally, I am at war with myself for a neat home, which is unobtainable, and then school well done and a focused teacher, which seems unubtainable.

Anyway, I guess I have some choices to make and some lists to make. I will also get a clipboard to sort of "rough out" my day and that will possibly give me a path to follow. I wrote down my "perfect day" schedule yeseterday, you know, the ones that never work and gave it to my husband whose job (well, one aspect of his job) at work is to plan and schedule big programs. He laughed when he looked at it and said, "There is no way you are getting up at 5 a.m." I told him that was the only way I could fit everything in for the day and there were still some "have to's" that I coudln't fit. He said, "Well, if there isn't enough time in the day honey, you CAN"T just pack things in there that won't work." So, he folded up the schedule and put it in his bag to try to sort out for me over lunch etc. I think sometimes you just get into ruts of thinking????

Thanks again for everything! If my post shouts out for an idea, please don't hesitate to give it!       

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Kim is there any way you can ask your mom to call first and ask if its a good time to come over? If you have that nagging feeling that someone is checking up on you all the time then that could be leaving you feeling stressed.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Kim and Sarah M - you are both so sweet to indulge my lengthy post!

Eight Wonders wrote:
I would love to know more details about seasonal meal planning, Jennifer and how you plan your lists etc.

Sure, Kim. I just sit down at the beginning of each season (spring, summer, autumn, winter) and think about our favorite meals. You know how you just enjoy cold pasta salads with fresh produce in the summer and warm, comforting stew in the winter?

So, I start with a master list of about 12 - 14 meals. I love to find inspiration here - with the Barefoot Contessa and her cookbooks! But, that's just me. Use some cookbooks or an online site that you enjoy when you plan your master list - you can look for something new to try (caution...only choose something that seems do-able and like-able to your family...seems like a no-brainer, but I added a meal to try once and everyone loved it, but it's so HIGH maintenance to prepare and now I'm stuck with my family lovin' it and me havin' to make it ) I always include 2 panic meals on my master list...something like spaghetti or frozen pizzas 'cause there are those days (like the one you had last night). The panic meals are my go-to when life is spiraling and I didn't execute my meal plan properly. I keep the ingredients on hand for panic meals at all times!!! I can't tell you how many times this has saved me.

Ok - so you have a master list. Now, sit down either with pen and paper or on your computer and all of the recipe cards and cookbooks that contain those meals. Make simple columns on your paper and line them up just like your favorite grocery store is layed out. You're just trying to streamline the process here. Start adding ingredients to your shopping list. Make several copies once you're done and hang them or store them in a high traffic area in your kitchen on a clipboard (so you can check off ketchup before you run out ...). Store your master menu list on that clipboard as well.

Now, for weekly planning you get out your seasonal menu list and your shopping list you made and choose a meal, check off the needed items and move on. You can either write down your menu plans on your planning calendar (which I sometimes do) or you can pm me and I'll send you my blank weekly menu planning sheet. Usually, I use this sheet because I made spaces on it to remind me to pull out the frozen meat the night before (something I almost always fail to do) and also there are spaces for when I want to cook something special for the liturgical year and that bumps my normal plan. I pull out coupons as I plan and tuck them in an envelope on my clipboard. I'm ready to shop the plan.

This weekly menu page lives on my kitchen clipboard as well. It seems like a lot, but the big brainstorming is done just 4 times/year and it's an investment of time so that my Saturdays (and every other day of the week for that matter) can be intuitive in terms of meal planning for the coming week. If I don't have a plan I just stand in the middle of my kitchen like a deer caught in the headlights and end up muttering something like, "Sonic, anyone???"

A couple of other things caught my eye, Kim and I was wondering if I could offer you my room re-org plan? Something in it might inspire you in a way that helps you to get your kitchen back to a space in which you joyfully serve your family. I self-destruct much like you are describing yourself when my spaces are in disarray.

Eight Wonders wrote:
I don't know why I don't like my kitchen. It is actually really nice, but the underlying disorder in there gets me from "GO!" to frustrated in about 3 seconds

and this
Eight Wonders wrote:
I don't feel as if my kitchen is the "heart" of the home

You listed a few specific problems - lack of sunlight (that's a biggie, but I have an idea), furniture fitting, the ensuing mess after toddlers eat, and a level of disorder that is un-motivating.

I do not do this sort of re-org during a school week because that is a recipe for mean-spiritedness on my part as I rush the children through everything. What I'm going to suggest is that you consider with your husband a "teachers week off". This is a week to focus on two rooms - your kitchen and your schoolroom. You must be committed and if you pull your dh in he can be your cheerleader and keep you accountable. Enlist your biggers to help watch the littles for a couple of hours each day as you work. This is *just* for this week!

The goal is to have your kitchen function for you and for there to be an element of beauty in your kitchen.

Function
First, stand inside your kitchen and think about how you'd like it to function. Would a bake center (an area dedicated to all things baking - bread and goodies) help you? Are all of the tools in your kitchen grouped together? Do you have a lot of excess stuff in there you don't use that is taking up valuable space? Is your pantry (walk-in or cupboard) use-able and organized so that you can *find* the food that you do have? Think in terms of work zones in your kitchen - imagine yourself preparing breakfast/lunch/dinner, what would make this task easier and more streamlined?

*Empty spaces - empty cupboards, drawers, pantry - all of it. I have to do this in steps, so I might start with emptying all the drawers onto the table.
*Begin adding tools back to spaces. I might recall that I wanted to have a bake center...here!...so I fill a drawer in that area only with tools that would help for the bake center. Do that until all the drawers/cabinets/cupboards/pantry are filled with purpose.

DON'T toss the leftover stuff into the last drawer or cabinet just because it needs a home! Look it over and ask yourself - do I use this? does it belong with another group? Set it aside in a laundry basket or something. You'll sort it later to put it with another useful group of tools somewhere else in your kitchen, or give it away.

Ideally, your kitchen should be back together and organized into work zones that make your service to your family more pleasant and easier to manage. It is sometimes handy to make a list as you sort and realize that a certain tool would be handy to have in this area or that. Doesn't mean you'll buy it immediately, but it makes a nice wish list.

Part of function is furniture fitting in the room. My table is slightly too big for my kitchen space, so I hear ya' on the just being content thing! I *did* find some nice wooden chairs at a thrift store for a steal! You might consider a bi-weekly trip to a thrift store and just keep an eye out for a few chairs for your space.

A last thought on function...all this hard work is moot if the pizza cutter and peeler, etc. get tossed wherever tomorrow. You'll need to spend a good part of your week quietly, but firmly impressing on your children that their job is to put things away where you had them. Then, be ready to enforce it over and over and over again. Habit training is just time consuming! Set up an after meal checklist if you need to:
*Someone sweeps and mops
*Someone clears table
*Someone does dishes
*Someone wipes chairs and table
*Someone takes out the trash
*You float and observe and help where needed

Beauty
A coat of paint can really cheer up a room. Consider it as a summer project maybe? If there's not a lot of natural sunlight in the room consider painting in a color that reflects - like a cheery yellow. You have to be careful which yellow you select so you might enlist some paint help at a Sherwin Williams store or something. Choose a satin or semi-gloss finish, not a flat paint if you re-paint. Satin or semi-gloss will reflect more light - flat sucks the light up and sort of deadens it.

One thing I like to do in each of the rooms of my house is to add a few small touches that lift my heart and mind to God and remind me that this room is where I lay down my life for my family. Can you add a beautiful image of Our Lady to your kitchen? Or another beautiful piece of sacred art that you already have in your home somewhere? It doesn't have to be a lot - I mean your kitchen doesn't have to look like a shrine - just add some element to visually remind you of "Who" you're working for. What brings you joy, Kim? Images of your family? Nature prints? Watercolors? Family artwork? Choose something that really fills you with joy for the work you do and find an inexpensive way to put a simple image up on a wall in your kitchen. My kitchen theme is "Fruits of the Holy Spirit" - I know...soooo cliche'!    But, easy to decorate for, you have to admit! And it ties in two elements I love - the Holy Spirit's gifts to us and elements from the natural world which fill me with serenity and peace.

Once again...this is WAAAAAY too long...so I'm hitting post.    Maybe something in my rambling can inspire you, Kim. I'll send a few prayers your way as you wade through this. I can tell that it is really troubling you. May Our Lord give you clarity of vision and purpose here so that you can work for Him with Joy!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

My stars...that was longer than my first post!

Apparently I'm not going to be concise when I grow up.

I hope I haven't monopolized this thread with my wordiness. I'm embarassed again. It didn't *seem* that long when I previewed it.

I'm certain that others have some very wonderful ideas for scheduling and fostering a little order in the home...I'll just sit back and listen now.

Hallie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Hallie

Jennifer,

I hope you never manage to be concise! ;) Your advice always blesses me! Please keep it coming! :)

http://hallie.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View Hallie's Profile Search for other posts by Hallie Visit Hallie's Homepage

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Yes, thanks to everyone and special thanks to you Jennifer. Believe me, I NEED someone at this point to take me through in baby steps. I think maybe after you have wracked your brain over and over again about the same things, and it comes up short, you lack confidence to even try to solve the same silly/big problems. You wonder what the point is since you keep trying and come up lacking. So, it was very helpful to have some fresh air come in and freshen my spirits and resolve. After reading all the posts this morning, and printing them out to look at throughout the day for ideas, I felt I had the strength and some tools to tackle it all again!

I REALLY appreciate the advice!    

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

OK, taking some of Jennifer's suggestions and some of Kim's situations.. I happened to think of one thing that might really help.

When you reorganize your kitchen.. make lists/labels for each drawer, each cupboard.. you can probably put these on the inside of the drawers and cupboard doors.. but then no one has an excuse not to put something where it goes. If it's not on the list.. it goes somewhere else! And they can ask if they can't figure it out.

But also in your reorganizing.. take into consideration if there's someplace that something always ends up.. it may save a lot of grief if that becomes it's home

Be sure you have reasonable amount of artificial light in your kitchen.. if there's no sunlight and the room feels dark.. maybe it is.. maybe a higher watt light bulb? maybe you need to add an under cabinet light here or there to increase light at some work spaces. Because of the work you do there the room should be better lit than say the living room where a softer lighting is fine.

Make setting the table a specific job and include in that making sure all chairs are accounted for. And consider if you could have benches.. they seat a lot more people for the space used.. they tuck clear under the table.. and they're much less likely to "walk off" being rather longer and harder to move around. And they're easier to clean because you don't they don't have a back that gets icky too.

What about putting an old shower curtain under your messy eaters for ease of clean up? or better yet.. an old sheet that can be tossed in the washing machine.

Maybe have a sponge and a bowl handy to the table for cleaning up during the meal? And 3 is old enough to start learning cleaning up.. pretty easy really for a 3 year old to wipe up spilled milk with a sponge.. and since you'd wipe the table good after the meal.. you wouldn't have to do it yourself to make sure it's clean.

-Sir Walter Scott

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JodieLyn wrote:
When you reorganize your kitchen.. make lists/labels for each drawer, each cupboard..

I was going to suggest this, but then I thought you guys would *really* think I had gone off the deep end! I think that is a very good idea and would really help your job making sure everything goes back to its place.

JodieLyn wrote:
Be sure you have reasonable amount of artificial light in your kitchen.. if there's no sunlight and the room feels dark.. maybe it is.. maybe a higher watt light bulb?

You know, I was thinking...they make those lightbulbs now that offer a light closer to a more natural spectrum...my sister has them in her little house. They really do make a HUGE difference! I saw them at Lowe's. That might be another very do-able thing to help your kitchen! Light is everything!

Aren't you all proud of me? I restrained myself this time to less than half a page!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version