Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Pfaltzgraff, Fiestaware, Polish Pottery?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I am saving my money to buy some new dinnerware. Our current set came from Costco and every piece is chipped.

I am looking at this pattern from Pfaltzgraff, but I can't tell where it is made. Anyone know?

I think Fiestaware is made in the USA. I love bright colors and it is easy to mix and match. I remember years ago (like 20) that Fiestaware did have an issue with lead. I don't think that is an issue anymore. But the color choices.....how will I ever choose?

Then yesterday I thought I could have each child pick out a piece of Polish Pottery and fill in with some white plates or Fiestaware....then I checked out the price of Polish Pottery. I'd be saving a long time!

So I'm not 100% sure what I am asking here What I would like to know is if you have any of the above dinnerware, how does it last? Are you happy with it? Does it chip easily when little boys unload the dishwasher? Any other choices I should look at?   

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Pfaltzgraff is made in Germany, I believe.
We have had our set for 10 years and it's great.
I can definitely tell it's holding up better than the cheap set we got 2 years ago at Kmart.

Don't know about dishes--we needt to save for a decent set!

hth
ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I like my brasserie set. Some pieces are chipped, but I use it ALL the time, and we have porcelain tile floors that are murder to anything breakable; so, I consider the fact that some of the pieces are merely chipped (as opposed to the shattered ones that are reasonable to replace, imo, I just haven't done it yet) as a testimony to its durability.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

On the other hand, my Pfaltzgraff dishes only lasted about 7 years before we got some chips and a ton of little grey marks on the surface, not just from knife usage, but even in the bowls from the silverware scraping across. Or in the mugs from stirring your coffee. Plus we kept finding little spots that looked like the color of rust that would show up on the outside of the mugs, where the pattern was.

I am slowly collecting white fiestaware for our basic pieces so that I can get some accent pieces in different colors to mix and match. It is made in the USA and completely lead free, not just lead safe.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Mary Chris, have you looked in your PX/BX? They usually carry Polish pottery at a lower rate than the economy. Oh, I have a lot of friends who have this (with lots of kids) and their stuff is not chipped at all. It's in great condition.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Jess

Polish pottery is wonderful and like KC said the PX has it all the time and the prices are great.
We have fiestaware and have for many years. I think we have only had one plate broken and no chips so far. I have a ton of colors. My mom would get me a set for Christmas, birthdays, etc until I built it up. I have the brighter colors.

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We had Pfaltzgraff as newlyweds and we still have some pieces left. I was happy with them but not with having to find replacements!

Just got a bunch of bowls and mugs that are Fiestaware. They were 50% off and free shipping at Kohls.com sometime in December, so I got a good deal. I couldn't decide on colors so I just picked two of each color that was available -- which worked great because now the kids have their own mugs/bowls and no more fighting over who gets to "claim" a mug/bowl first. We were also trying to cut down on having to wash dishes all the time -- but so far I haven't noticed a difference

Meant to add -- restaurant supply stores are great for this kind of thing. Or at least what I remember from my last trip to one 5-6 years ago... there were LOTS of choices and heavy-duty stuff, which makes sense seeing how much wear and tear these items need to withstand in a restaurant setting. They were pretty cheap too, IIRC ~$2-3 for plates, same thing for cups. And they weren't made in China either.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Katie

I've been impressed with the durability and non-chipping of my Fiestaware. I have tile floors and kids washing dishes by hand, too. I bought all white as I couldn't decide on a colour, but I really like it. I'm thinking of adding some colours in, though. Maybe side plates anda some bowls or a jug.

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I love my Fiestaware. My dinnerware is cobalt and my sister in law gave me a scarlet pitcher. I've been pondering adding another color, but I can't decided. No chipping, but we have lost a couple of bowls to dropping on the garage floor.   

Editing to add we have pfaltzgraff early on in our marriage and it chipped with adults handling it.   

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Katie wrote:
I'm thinking of adding some colours in, though. Maybe side plates and some bowls or a jug.

OT: I drool over their beautiful handled carafe every time I see it!

Waltzing Matilda

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

One more funny thing...
My husband has two Polish co-workers. They work in Poland during the hours that the American team is not working with a little bit of overlap. I asked him to ask them about Polish pottery and if they knew where to get some for less. They had no idea what he was talking about! Maybe over there, they're just called "dishes"?

Waltzing Matilda

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

I just bought some Fiestware (made in the USA) from zestydishes.com. They do have deals and sales and seconds. Lead issues were years ago with the old red color. My kids all have a different color mug which they love and I look forward to adding pieces as I find them on ebay or for my birthday or whatever.

Laura (mom to 6)
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I've had my Pfaltzgraff dinnerware since 95 (wedding). I *think* we've broken one plate (small one) in that time, and that is considering we hand washed everything until we moved here in April of 08.

Of course, my pattern is now no longer being produced (Acadia), and I am glad that I got a white pattern, so I can mix and match as I wish......

I do have some Polish pottery (ah, the BX/PX!). Its niiiice. You can find some on ebay for less, occasionally. It is mainly a thing to keep your eyes open for.

For those who were interested, *most* of the Polish pottery comes out of Boleswaic (I think that that is the spelling). A quick search on ebay will confirm the name.

I enjoy Fiesta ware, but it would be something I would add in as an addition, not the main thing, I think (stylistically).

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I looked it up myself, lol...

It is Boleslawiec. No idea on the pronounciation, though. Good luck!

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Pfaltzgraff is now made in China. Not all of it, I believe, but some of it. Fiestaware is still made in the US.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

We have basic, white dishes made in Poland. I bought them from Crate and Barrel last year. They are holding up well and were rather inexpensive. I think the line was called Diner?

ds '08
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Thanks for all the good info. It seems a lot of you like Fiestaware, which I have loved for a long time. We have Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel and Williams and Sonoma outlets close by, so I plan on looking there too.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh, Polish Pottery would be my dream! But I don't see that financially happening. I have a few accent and serving pieces right now. What I have thought that is more realistic is maybe to get Fiesta Ware place settings in colors that coordinate with the Polish Pottery I have (dark blue, green, white) and go that route and continue to get Polish Pottery serving and accent pieces occasionally. When my brother, who got married this fall, registered for gifts they went with Fiesta Ware at Macy's. I found that Macy's regularly has very good sales on the Fiesta Ware - and as was pointed out so does Kohls.

EDITED to add: And I do like the Pfaltzgraf pattern you linked - it's a great design and would be easy to coordinate with some bright solids!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

OK, don't laugh, but QVC runs specials on Polish Pottery too. I noticed it one day when I was dvring something else and I dvr'ed the show to see what y'all were talking about. I had never heard of Polish Pottery before reading of it here. Its beautiful. I cannot imagine a whole table set with it, but for serving pieces, it would be gorgeous.

We had problems with grey marks all our our Pfaltzgraff when we had it, too. I was on the fence about replacing our dishes a few months ago. Dh was set on corelle, so that's what we got. I will say we aren't having breakage problems and I can fit *way more* into the cabinet than my previous stoneware. What I am hoping to do is to add pretty serving pieces to our otherwise very plain white corelle to make a nicer setting. I got my dishes for a steal online. Frost white is always available. For under $200, I got 20 dinner and lunch plates, something like 30 bowls (two different sizes), several shallow rimmed soup bowls, 4 divided luncheon plates (should have gotten more of these...they are awesome for lunchtime). I bought a la carte so I didn't end up with mugs I didn't want.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I've added some of the white corelle bowls to my assortment of white dishes. We've got some white luncheon plates we got in Germany (I think one has broken in almost 14 yrs), a few plastic dishes (ugh, I wish I could convince DH to toss the darned things). We got some nice white soup bowls in Germany, and added some Buffalo pottery ones more recently...

I keep adding little bits and pieces here and there...I've got some Polish pottery (blue and white--a few casserole dishes, some ice cream bowls, a teeny tiny pitcher, and a vase)...I figure I will always be able to find some white dishes somewhere.

I am wanting to mix in some milk glass, too...the old vintage stuff...mostly in glasses....and eventually, maybe some Ruby Red glassware as well--that comes in plates, bowls, etc (my new kitchen is red and white).

But we'll see what time and money permit, lol.

Rachel (who grew up with mis-matched dishes from the thrift stores, so I'm not too concerned with the dishes, as long as they aren't plastic, lol)

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version