Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Question for anyone doing Lit. of Hours Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

It is so nice to "see" all of you too, and I'm so sorry I haven't shown up more often. Wow, Jenn!! That is a beautiful quote. Thank you so much for taking the time to post it. We are very, very fortunate to have a priest who aspires to a parish life like this. In fact we prayed Vespers the last time we had a special prayer service on a Sunday night but I wish we could do it more often, such as when the parish gathers for a pot-luck, meetings, etc.

Taking this to heart for the Domestic church then, perhaps Evening prayer (on Sat. and Sun. evenings at least) should be a family affair??

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
Taking this to heart for the Domestic church then, perhaps Evening prayer (on Sat. and Sun. evenings at least) should be a family affair??

I take that to mean it. And I found the Vatican II sections that reecho Pius XII:

Sacrosanctum Concilium: On the Sacred Liturgy.

Divine Office section begins at number 83, which is so beautiful, but as regards to the laity:

Quote:
99. Since the divine office is the voice of the Church, that is of the whole mystical body publicly praising God, those clerics who are not obliged to office in choir, especially priests who live together or who assemble for any purpose, are urged to pray at least some part of the divine office in common.

All who pray the divine office, whether in choir or in common, should fulfill the task entrusted to them as perfectly as possible: this refers not only to the internal devotion of their minds but also to their external manner of celebration.

It is, moreover, fitting that the office, both in choir and in common, be sung when possible.

100. Pastors of souls should see to it that the chief hours, especially Vespers, are celebrated in common in church on Sundays and the more solemn feasts. And the laity, too, are encouraged to recite the divine office, either with the priests, or among themselves, or even individually.

And to raise the bar even higher, another Vatican II document Musicam Sacram Instruction On Music In The Liturgy. The section on The Singing of the Divine Office includes these instructions:

Quote:
39. One will invite the faithful, ensuring that they receive the requisite instruction, to celebrate in common on Sundays and feast days certain parts of the Divine Office, especially Vespers, or, according to the customs of the particular area and assembly, other Hours. In general, the faithful, particularly the more educated, should be led by suitable teaching, to understand the psalms in a Christian sense and use them in their own prayers, so that they may gradually acquire a stronger taste for the use of the public prayer of the Church.

Beautiful and rich, and definitely something attainable in my family to aim for praying the Sunday Vespers and perhaps for Solemnities. Thanks for the nudge, Gwen.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

CrunchyMom wrote:
My friend's mom wrote this book. I'll see if she can join the discussion and answer any questions.

Madeline Nugent, author of The Divine Office for Dodos has graciously agreed to answer any questions about praying the Divine Office.   

Here is the new thread to take any and all questions for her!!

Thanks, Lindsay!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version