Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2009 Book List! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

Chari wrote:

I recently finished the lately recommended book :The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society I LOVED IT!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for the rec! I got it just in time from the library for a quick trip to San Fran.........perfect travel read along.

I just finished this book. I loved it as well. As I read this book, I realized how much I like the books where you learn about people in a village. I've become quite attached to the people of Guernsey. I also like the folks of Gaskell's Cranford. Any other books like this out there?

Chari wrote:
North and South is SO on my list this year..........so I can be allowed to see the movie. Mare may have convinced me to get going...(with the Pride and Prejudice lean ).....except I am kind of fasting from reading.....but, hey, lent will be here soon....I can fast then......maybe I should just give in.....going to the library site to order it now.

Oh, dear. I do hope you like the book as much as I did.

I have begun reading Redwall. I am stretching myself since I do not care for Fantasy. I think I may like this!

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Has anyone read The Memory Keeper's Daughter? My mom just gave it to me, so I was curious to hear if anyone's read it yet. I must say that I'm having so much fun reading Mrs. Sharp's Traditions- I don't know how I've gone this long without reading it. I know I've seen it on a million booklists. What a treasure! My copy is from the library, but I think I should try to find one to purchase.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

VeronicaB
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote VeronicaB

Me too for Elizabeth Goudge books. Haven't read any so far this year, but Green Dolphin Country was my favourite and I still think back on it.

So far this year I've started Anna Karenina. Its quite interesting how all these distributist ideas come into it - living on the land, the perils of 'society' - also importance of love.

Also read/reading Benedict XVI's The Yes of Jesus Christ; Back from the Brink: Australians tell their stories of Overcoming Depression; Charlotte Mason summaries; hillaire belloc's The Great Heresies; The Ball and Cross by G K Chesterton.

Back to Top View VeronicaB's Profile Search for other posts by VeronicaB Visit VeronicaB's Homepage

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 17 2009 at 12:08am | IP Logged Quote RamFam

Sarah M wrote:
ORDINARY WORK, EXTRAORDINARY GRACE: MY SPIRITUAL JOURNEY IN OPUS DEI by Scott Hahn.

(Great inspiration to sanctify the daily work- or rather, let the daily work sanctify me!)

I 'chanced' upon this book, as my husband had checked it out and WOW! I've only heard of Opus Dei from the da vinci code. I didn't realize it was even real or that it was so awesome. How do I find out more?

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 17 2009 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

Last week I finished

Left to Tell: Discovering God Admist the Rwandan Holocaust

What an amazing book, I can't recommend it enough if you haven't read it. A very emotional read, but sooo worth it.

The author is the speaker at our Catholic Women's conference this weekend, can't wait!
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2009 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

SylviaB wrote:
Last week I finished

Left to Tell: Discovering God Admist the Rwandan Holocaust

What an amazing book, I can't recommend it enough if you haven't read it. A very emotional read, but sooo worth it.

The author is the speaker at our Catholic Women's conference this weekend, can't wait!

I would love to hear Immaculee speak! She was a speaker at the Rosary Bowl (at the Rose Bowl) last year, but I didn't get to attend. I agree that the book was absolutely amazing!

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I finished The Translator, by Daoud Hari last night. It is a first-hand account of the genocide in Darfur, Sudan. I would recommend this book, because we need to know, and pray. It is a hard topic to read about, no doubt, but I'm glad that I did.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I just finished Gathering of Angels last night. I read Miracle at St. Cecilia's about a year and a half ago, after reading about them in this thread. I like these books. Makes me curious about the Mitford series, which I haven't read.

Some other books from Jan/Feb:

**I got about 2/3 of the way through The Film Club. Leonie found it and mentioned it here.    A father makes a deal with his son that he can "drop out" of school if he agrees to watch 3 movies of the father's choice with him every week. It was interesting and fun to see their relationship develop. Those with teens may especially appreciate the inner monologue and feelings of the father and relate to the teen convos.

**Shower of Heavenly Roses ~ a compilation of personal stories of "miracles" by her intercession. They are very inspiring and heart-wrenching. Some of them are AMAZING!

**Praying the Scriptures for Your Children.   I didn't intend to read the whole book, but I did and I liked it. Good stories, and wonderful scripture passages.

**The Mom Walk recommended from several of the "virtue threads" here. I have 2 chapters left and hope to finish by Lent.

** This will probably be my favorite book of 2009! (I know it's only February...... but this one will be hard to beat!)MISTRESS OF THE REVOLUTION, by Catherine Delors.   The author takes all of the extremely confusing events and people of the French Revolution and makes them come alive through Gabrielle. Royalty, aristocracy, commoners, military, and Judges of the Revolutionary Tribunal!!!!   There is a review of the novel at Elena Vidal's blog. This Question and Answer section of her website talks about the novel was developed and where her characters come from. Catherine Delor's Blog, where she has interesting posts, further explaining things from the book. Loved it!!! If you enjoy historical novels OR the French Revolution.....you'll LOVE this!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2009 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I just finished up Damien, the Leper Priest by Anne E. Neimark.

All I can say is: I had no idea.
My interest in Fr. Damien was peaked by a story about a Hawaiian woman with cancer who refused to believe she would die. She told her doctor, "I'm going away to pray to Fr. Damien. He will help me." She was cured- I believe that was the second miracle he needed for canonization.

Anyway, why he has not been canonized before now I cannot fathom.
I was totally floored by how *incredibly* brave he was. Imagine Mother Teresa doing everything she did to help the poor and sick but doing it completely by herself. Because that is what Fr. Damien did, for years.

No one wanted anything to do with the lepers, so he was everything for them: doctor, priest, carpenter, advocate. In addition to his duties as a priest, he built them a hospital, hundreds of houses, a system of pipes to bring them water so they would stop dying of thirst (which many did because they couldn't walk), an orphanage... all these things he built by himself, with no power tools or electricity. He didn't even have a horse.

He worked by himself for years, until he was finally so sick himself he got some help. His story is not for the faint of heart, but what an inspiration.
I can't recommend enough getting to know a little about him, especially during Lent.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

[QUOTE=SuzanneG] I just finished Gathering of Angels last night. I read Miracle at St. Cecilia's about a year and a half ago, after reading about them in this thread. I like these books. Makes me curious about the Mitford series, which I haven't read.

I love the Mitford series. If you can listen to them on CD, even better. The narrator is excellent. The whole cast of characters really grows on you. I especially liked his dog, Barnabas the scripture lover.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 20 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

SylviaB wrote:

Amazing, yes! I just finished this today. Thanks for the recommendation. Tomorrow, I will begin another survival story that I have enjoyed in the past: Alicia: My Story by Alicia Appleman Jurman

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 20 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

SeaStar wrote:

All I can say is: I had no idea.
My interest in Fr. Damien was peaked by a story about a Hawaiian woman with cancer who refused to believe she would die. She told her doctor, "I'm going away to pray to Fr. Damien. He will help me." She was cured- I believe that was the second miracle he needed for canonization.

Anyway, why he has not been canonized before now I cannot fathom.
I was totally floored by how *incredibly* brave he was. Imagine Mother Teresa doing everything she did to help the poor and sick but doing it completely by herself. Because that is what Fr. Damien did, for years.

No one wanted anything to do with the lepers, so he was everything for them: doctor, priest, carpenter, advocate. In addition to his duties as a priest, he built them a hospital, hundreds of houses, a system of pipes to bring them water so they would stop dying of thirst (which many did because they couldn't walk), an orphanage... all these things he built by himself, with no power tools or electricity. He didn't even have a horse.

He worked by himself for years, until he was finally so sick himself he got some help. His story is not for the faint of heart, but what an inspiration.
I can't recommend enough getting to know a little about him, especially during Lent.

This sounds great Melinda, I am adding it to my list!

I want to recommend Why Gender Matters by Leonard Sax:

Why Gender Matters

A fascinating look at the biological differences in the sexes and what you should know when raising children.

His information about the difference in the retina and inner ears for boys and girls and how it impacts learning was very informative!

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 20 2009 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

Amazing, yes! I just finished this today. Thanks for the recommendation. Tomorrow, I will begin another survival story that I have enjoyed in the past: Alicia: My Story by Alicia Appleman Jurman[/QUOTE]

Thanks, this does look good!

Carmie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 20 2009 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Carmie

Since Why Gender Matters was recommended. I would also like to recommend Boys Adrift: Five Factors Driving the Epidemic of Unmotivated and Underachieving Young Men also by Leonard Sax. This is also has a lot to do with the gender differences between boys and girls and how they learn differently. Good read!

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2009 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Kyra wrote:
I've re-read LotR so many times that I had to take a break for a few years

How? What is the secret? I LOVE the type of book LOTR is, fantasy is my fave genre....and I have read the beginning so. many. times.

But - geesh - do they ever get out of the forest? Walking thru the forest....and walking.....and here is a minute description of the moss that they would have seen if they had gone over that hill (but they didn't...)...and look, a gazillion pages later...and where are they? Oh! Walking through the forest!

srsly - it is even on my nigthstand (again) right now. I feel like a fantasy-fan-fail.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2009 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

After I posted last night, I finished Catholics, by Brian Moore, republished in '06 by Loyola Classics. I just found out it was a movie with Martin Sheen in 1973. It's the story of a monastery in Ireland that holds to its Latin Mass and private confessions, which had been forbidden (in the future). An envoi is sent to rebuke the Abbot.

I liked it a lot, although the end was disappointing. Quick read that you don't want to put down.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2009 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Laura...........are you saying you have never got past the beginning of the first book???

If so.......then JUST DO IT.......just read it! Make a commitment to "plow through it" (as if I could ever realy mean that about LOTR ) until you are done.

I, personally, could never put LOTR square in the fantasy genre. It is so much more than fantasy to me.....I do not know if I can find the words to express it. Can someone help me? The historical aspect is very appealing as well. These characters are SO REAL.

Anyway.......just read through it at least once.......just so you know. And, so you will not feel like a failure.

Also, keep in mind.........as Cay has had to regarding Jane Austen .........NOT every amazing and wonderful book is going to be loved by all. It is OKAY if you cannot get through it. But DO try! I think you will like it, once they get out of the forest.

signed, a repeat-reader of LOTR......just not as often as others

VeronicaB
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 21 2009 at 5:34am | IP Logged Quote VeronicaB

SeaStar wrote:

Also Project Gutenberg has this: Fr. Damien, an Open Letter to the Reverend Dr. Hyde of Honolulu by R. L. Stevenson.

Sounds great. I saw the movie Molokai - very good for a modern movie. Fr Damien played by David Wenham (the steward of Gondor's son in LotR - name escapes me)

I think it was a joint Hawaii/Netherlands project. They had the real lepers (or Patients I think they preferred to be called).

But can't get all the detail into a movie. An old priest (RIP) loved the movie, noting the liturgical slip ups (forgot the maniple in one scene then had two next time - I didn't notice, have to watch it again)

But maybe I should take this across to the Movie list.

Anyway, great to see Catholic stuff in a movie - brave priest, importance of confession, even some ecumenical bits and some teaching gregorian chant.
Back to Top View VeronicaB's Profile Search for other posts by VeronicaB Visit VeronicaB's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2009 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Quote:
I feel like a fantasy-fan-fail.

Laura, I read the Fellowship of the ring but got very bored with all the traveling. Somebody make the mistake of saying to me that they travel even more on the second book.Well, that's all it took. I never picked the rest of the trilogy up, to my kids dismay. So you are not alone!

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2009 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Chari wrote:
Laura...........are you saying you have never got past the beginning of the first book???

If so.......then JUST DO IT.......just read it! Make a commitment to "plow through it" (as if I could ever realy mean that about LOTR ) until you are done.

I have to second this advice! I read The Hobbit in high school, then tried LOTR and couldn't get out of the forest, so to speak, either. Finally, years later I picked up Fellowship again and made myself get through it, and from there on, I was in love. I've since re-read the trilogy many, many times. If you're a fairly quick reader, don't feel you have to read every single descriptive paragraph, just skim them and read the conversations. I think you'll soon get caught up in the language and characters enough to carry you on.

OTOH, I have been unable to get through The Silmarillon despite starting it at least 4 times now. I want to like it but just haven't found that same attachment to it yet. Same with some of the other earlier works, although I liked Leaf by Niggle.

Karen T

forgot to add - if you can't get through it reading it, try listening to the CD's. I love them; they are read very well. But, then you can't just skip over some of the descriptive parts
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version