Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2009 Book List! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Time to start for 2009!

We will keep a list of all of the books we read this year. Everytime you finish a book.........you just post it here.

If it is a duplicate of a previous book mentioned.........list it anyway.      

Consider it a survey of Catholic homeschool moms' reading choices.      

Let's capitalize the titles, and always remember the author! If you want, take the time to put the title in color........so it can catch our eye.

Be prepared to talk about your book choices sometimes!

Happy reading!

Thanks to all of you who have made last year's list such fun! Let's keep it up! You ladies are GREAT!!!

Wish we could have a meeting of our book club in person....with lots of tea and scones!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Chari wrote:

Wish we could have a meeting of our book club in person....with lots of tea and scones!

Me too! Me too!
One of my New Year's Resolutions is to keep up better with this. I tend to read randonly, widely and at large...all things parenting, hsing, spiritual, literary, picture books, etc. etc. etc.

I regret I have no kept better track of all the books I've read. I'm sure a university would give me a degree if I was able to produce a complete list.

Then again there are days I feel as though I know next to nothing...

Anyway, inspired by the BBC movie "Bleak House" by Dickens, I am now reading the book.

And, Chari, I have slowly been making my way through Jane Austen's books and often think, "Chari would be so proud of me" as I read them.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Here we go...

My first book of 2009 was NICK OF TIME, by Ted Bell. It is a fantastic, rollicking adventure, involving time-travel between England in 1939 and 1805. It is a novel written for the middle-school years, though I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think my son will love it when he's a few years older.

Right now I am reading MARLEY AND ME, by John Grogan (my mom gave it to me). It is a fun, light read, and I am enjoying it, though I have no desire to see the movie!

Also by my rocking chair are FAST TRACK DETOX DIET and FAT FLUSH PLAN, by Ann Louis Gittleman. I'll be starting this plan on Monday. Happy New Year!

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

I received three books by Elizabeth Gaskell this Christmas. Two of them were borrowed often enough that I thought it time to own them.

The first book that I have finished reading in 2009 is North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. She originally wrote this as a serial for Charles Dicken's newspaper. It is set in the 1850's mill town of Milton, (Manchester) England. There are tones of Pride and Prejudice in it. Yet, it is quite different in that it touches on social injustices.

The BBC has done an adaptation that I highly recommend watching.     

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

How much does the movie (North and South)differ from the book? I did see the movie, breaking my normal rule of always reading a book first (dh was out of town and I wanted some quick entertainment one night and the library had it). I did like the movie although it took me awhile to get into it.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

In 2009 so far I have finished up Surprised by Joy(CS lewis), The World's Last Night(CS Lewis) and am almost done with Brave New World (Huxley), which I have liked far more than I remembered from high school! yes, it's yucky (I remembered that part) but this time I'm old enough to understand all the satire AND appreciate how much of what is in his society can come from the "slippery slopes" we have already. When I finish it, I plan to read Between heaven and Hell: a Dialogue between CS Lewis, Aldous Huxley and John F Kennedy by Peter Kreeft. Did you know all 3 of them died within minutes of each other?? weird!

I'm also listening to John Paul the Great by Peggy Noonan - about 1/3 of the way through it. And I just started The Book Thief today; it's so weird with the narrator I'm not sure if I'll continue but I plan to give it a few chapters at least to see.

I have a few more of CS Lewis's books on reserve at the library so when they come in i'll be starting some of them also. I'm still reading the Quotable Lewis I started last year but I've now ordered the book for my own, so there is no hurry to finish it, and it's a great one to just read a few pages each night before bed, or waiting for the coffee to brew

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

Karen T wrote:
How much does the movie (North and South)differ from the book? I did see the movie, breaking my normal rule of always reading a book first (dh was out of town and I wanted some quick entertainment one night and the library had it). I did like the movie although it took me awhile to get into it.

Karen

Karen,

There are two scenes in the movie that are different than the book. The first one is where Margaret unexpectedly runs into Mr. Thornton in London. That is not in the book. The other one is the ending. Compared to the movie, the book ends abruptly.

HTH,

Mare

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Karen T wrote:

And I just started The Book Thief today; it's so weird with the narrator I'm not sure if I'll continue but I plan to give it a few chapters at least to see.

A friend lent me this book and I finished reading it about a month ago. I loved it! It is weird and it is not a happy book but I liked the perspective the narrator brings to the story. I also loved the main character and I loved the way the author writes. If you finish it let me know how you liked it.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I'm still reading The Book Thief; it's very interesting, though it took awhile to get used to the style. I'm keeping it on the exercise bike, though, and only reading it while I workout - more motivation! (so far it's working, only missed one day and I'm pedaling longer than I would otherwise)

Karen

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I just finished Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell.

I always love her ideas and perspectives, especially the way she constantly reminds you to "take captive" and submit to Jesus all the worrisome thoughts that rob your spirit of peace.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

ORDINARY WORK, EXTRAORDINARY GRACE: MY SPIRITUAL JOURNEY IN OPUS DEI by Scott Hahn.

(Great inspiration to sanctify the daily work- or rather, let the daily work sanctify me!)

I just started THREE CUPS OF TEA by Greg Mortenson

Next up is THE SHACK by Wm Paul Young. Has anyone read this?
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Carmie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Carmie

Sarah, I was just perusing the book club page. I received The Shack for Christmas. Have you started reading it? I'm curious about it.

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

This week I finished The Duggars: 20 and Counting. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and when I passed it on to a dear friend to read, she squealed with excitement!      I also finished Pithed: An Andy Farmer Mystery, by Kathryn Lively. It was meh. I'd bought it a couple of years ago and just got around to reading it. Right now I am reading The Scent of Water, by Elizabeth Goudge. It is wonderful, as are all her books. Next up is Home: A Novel, by Marilynne Robinson. I enjoyed her other novel, Gilead, so I hope this one is good, too.

btw, I read The Shack over the summer. It was theologically very...different. It is the type of book, where if someone who was completely unchurched read it, they might get some unorthodox ideas from it, and take it as truth (as some people tend to do when reading fiction--just think DaVinci Code). It is much more benign than DaVinci Code, of course. It wasn't the kind of book that I passed on after I read it.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I finished a delightful book Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson.

A quiet unassuming but observant lady in a small village in England needs money. She decides,under a pen name, to write a book about her neighbors. She portraits them as she sees them. When the book gets published and the neighbors see themselves in the book, troubles arise. It is really a good, light and delightful reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Buncles-Book-D-E-Stevenson/dp/190 3155711

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Carmie wrote:
Sarah, I was just perusing the book club page. I received The Shack for Christmas. Have you started reading it? I'm curious about it.

I got about halfway and then bailed...

LisaD wrote:
btw, I read The Shack over the summer. It was theologically very...different. It is the type of book, where if someone who was completely unchurched read it, they might get some unorthodox ideas from it, and take it as truth (as some people tend to do when reading fiction--just think DaVinci Code). It is much more benign than DaVinci Code, of course. It wasn't the kind of book that I passed on after I read it.

I had heard it was the Pilgrim's Progress of our generation, but I strongly disagree. I got about halfway through it- enough to see what was so unorthodox- then lost interest. It didn't speak to or inspire me at all. Very different. I think the message of the whole thing was supposed to be "You are loved by God," which of course is a wonderful message. It's just the way it was done- by portraying God as it did, that struck a nerve and disturbed me. I wouldn't recommend it. It's not that it was overtly horrible- just not something I would recommend when there are so many other wonderful books to choose from!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2009 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I finished listening to Peggy Noonan's John Paul the Great last week while flying to Orlando (not vacation - a conference I was attending).

Has anyone read this? It was interesting but I thought it was much more an autobiography of Noonan and her thoughts, impressions and reactions to JPII, than a biography of him. (I'm not sure what the actual intentions were in writing it, maybe that was the premise entirely).

I also read The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk (thanks SeaStar) - I think I read it years ago but don't remember much of it. I've read a couple of his other books and liked them also. Mutiny was an excellent read.

Still plugging away at my list of CS Lewis books. I'm almost done with Letters to Malcolm, Chiefly on Prayer. It's a nice format, his thoughts on prayer arranged in letter form to a friend.
Also still working on The Book Thief; I didn't take it to Fla as it's a hardback library book and didn't want to risk losing it.

Just finished The Gift of Dyslexia which was so-so. The author, a dyslexic himself, has some interesting theories on its causes and his own technique of "resolving" it. It wouldn't be the first book I'd recommend on dyslexia to someone new to it but parts of it might be helpful to some.

Karen T

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2009 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Finished the Twilight Saga

Just finished yesterday:The Host.

Reading currently:
The Birchbark House (does pre-reading the kid's school books count?)
The Orthodox Church

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2009 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote Chari

That book sounds sweet, Natalia.

I recently finished the lately recommended book :The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society I LOVED IT!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for the rec! I got it just in time from the library for a quick trip to San Fran.........perfect travel read along.

Cay, I am glad you think about me........when you read Austen ....I AM proud of you.....keep going....you cannot be "well-read" till you have read them all

I have to admit I am not well-read .....as I have only read ONE Dickens' book......A Christmas Carol. My children think I am a fraud...........in having never read CD. I REALLY need to read some Dickens......my 13 year old has read at least 6 FAT Dickens' novels (but I cannot get her to read Anne of Green Gables for some reason.......maybe if I hid ALL books but those... )

North and South is SO on my list this year..........so I can be allowed to see the movie. Mare may have convinced me to get going...(with the Pride and Prejudice lean ).....except I am kind of fasting from reading.....but, hey, lent will be here soon....I can fast then......maybe I should just give in.....going to the library site to order it now.

Sarah, did you finish Three Cups of Tea? What did you think?

Lisa......I am reading the Fat Flush Plan right now...........let's talk about it on another thread, in OLGR forum. I want to hear how goes it.

ack.........no North and South at my library! I remembered that now.. ...I have to order something else at half.com.......so, I will se about picking that up, too.

I am convinced........no The Shack for me.....and, it was on the front page of half.com.

Blessings, my friendly literary society!

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2009 at 5:15am | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

Sarah M wrote:
Carmie wrote:

I got about halfway and then bailed...

LisaD wrote:

I had heard it was the Pilgrim's Progress of our generation, but I strongly disagree. I got about halfway through it- enough to see what was so unorthodox- then lost interest. It didn't speak to or inspire me at all. Very different. I think the message of the whole thing was supposed to be "You are loved by God," which of course is a wonderful message. It's just the way it was done- by portraying God as it did, that struck a nerve and disturbed me. I wouldn't recommend it. It's not that it was overtly horrible- just not something I would recommend when there are so many other wonderful books to choose from!

I'm with Sarah on this one.. I felt the exact same way about the book and ditched it mid-way. I started it because a number of ladies at a bible study I go to had been raving about it.     

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

I am trying to make sure I read things for myself this year and I want to vary that reading between fiction, non fiction, and some reading that relates directly to our faith.

So for January non fiction I read The Seashell on the Mountaintop- A Story of Science, Sainthood, and the Humble Genius who Discovered a New History of the Earth by Alan Cutler. I *think* I first found this title on MacBeth's Opinion - are you out there?

I really enjoyed this book - I think it is the first book I have read that helped me really see the world without the benefit of the science we take for granted today. Amazing! Very readable, interesting, fair to the Catholic Church. The book gave me a lot of insights not just into science but education too!

For fiction I read In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez. A lot to think about here too. I found this book when I went looking for her picture book A Gift of Gracias. "In the Time of the Butterflies" is a fictional account of the Mirabel sisters and the underground movement that opposed the Trujillo dictatorship in the Dominican Republic - of which I knew nothing about.

I think the book was very well-done - I didn't want to put it down!

I am also still reading Cradle of Redeeming Love by John Saward. Very good but a bit slow going for me - this will probably be one of those year-long books for me that I pick up here and there.

Each month I also want to read at least one title that my 14 yo dd had read or that she might like to read. So I did read In the Shadow of the Bearby Regina Doman - I got dd the next two books in the series for Christmas so I thought I'd read the first one. It was good - I liked the portrayal of the character Bear the best, the character Blanche the least. Blanch in the book seems a little too weak and whiny to really reflect the Snow White character in the original Fairy tale.

On to February!

Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version