Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Tomie de Paola Advent and Christmas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 26 2005 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We're working on updating this unit. I've re-formatted a bit and you can have a Word copy here2005-11-26_080649_de_Paola-Week_1.doc

Or, you can read it here:

Advent and Christmas with Tomie de Paola and Others

“Advent to Ascension” lapbook. Read through the Gospel of Luke, using the Navarre Bible or the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible. As you go, illustrate and narrate the mysteries of the rosary and organize them into a lapbook. Be sure to include the luminous mysteries. Two other useful books included The Miracles of Jesus retold by Selina Hastings and The Parables of Jesus by Tomie de Paola. Also, Mary the Mother of Jesus by Tomie de Paola is helpful for both text and illustrations. Eventually, we’ll walk through the Bible, using lapbooks as an organizer for study.

Scripture Memory Verse: Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people form their sins. (Matthew 1:20)

Narration:
Child will listen to or read Merry Christmas Strega Nona (de Paola) and narrate and illustrate.
And
Child will listen to or read The Country Angel Christmas (de Paola) and narrate and illustrate.

Reading Practice

Pre-readers
Play with word tiles from phonics work. Work through Alphaphonics at a reasonable pace. This usually does not mean one lesson a day, every day. Watch your child and slow down when necessary. For some children, supplementation with Explode the Code will be helpful.   Spend a few minutes every day choral reading ”Twas the Night Before Christmas.”

Level 1
The child will read Merry Christmas Strega Nona and The Country Angel Christmas
after hearing it read aloud.   If this is too challenging, have the child read from a clean, corrected, typewritten copy of his own narration of the story.

Level 2: The Littlest Angel (Tazewell)

Level 3: Just David (Porter)

Read Aloud: 26 Fairmount Avenue. This is Tomie de Paola’s autobiography.

Copywork and Studied Dictation:
Monday     Read carefully and copy
Tuesday     Copy again
Wednesday     Take dictation and correct
Thursday     Take dictation and correct
Friday     Take dictation and correct

For advanced beginners:
Don’t think about what others have done. Just be yourselves and you will make a fine Christmas.

For Level 2:
His halo was permanently tarnished where he held on to it with one hot, little, chubby hand when he ran, and he was always running. Furthermore, even when he stood very still, it never behaved as a halo should. It was always slipping down over his right eye...

For Level 3:
The friends, the relatives, the adoring public, the mint of money--they are all David's now. But once each year, man grown though he is, he picks up his violin and journeys to a little village far up among the hills. There in a quiet kitchen he plays to an old man and an old woman; and always to himself he says that he is practicing against the time when, his violin at his chin and the bow drawn across the strings, he shall go to meet his father in the far-away land, and tell him of the beautiful world he has left.

Safe surfing while mom makes lists and checks them twice: Go to Tomie de Paola’s website www.tomie.com and spend some time there every week. Kids can narrate about what they learned there.
Rabbit Trails for the whole family:
•     Together, make a list of all the Advent activities your family does. Compare the list with another family. Are there any new traditions you would like to adopt?
•     Write a family advent prayer. Pray that this will be a special time to prepare for Jesus’ birthday
•     Discuss the real hierarchy of angels. See The Catholic Fact Book (Deedy) for a brief description.
•     Help the child make puppets to dramatize Merry Christmas, Strega Nona. Perform the show for family and friends on Christmas Day.

•     Make apple star prints. Cut an apple in half width-wise (surprise! there is a star inside) and use tempera to print the stars on paper. Or print them on canvas bags or aprons with fabric paint and give as a Christmas gift.
•      Make glitter glue stars to hang on the Christmas tree. Draw stars in glue on wax paper. Sprinkle with glitter. When the glue dries, peel away the wax paper. Use gold thread to hang.
•     The country angels harnessed a star to shed light on the Christmas celebration. During advent, we await Christ, who is the Light of the world. Make an advent meditation candle to remind you throughout the season that it is Christ’s light that is a “light unto my path and a lamp unto my feet” (Psalm 119: 105). Decorate a large pillar candle with colored beeswax cut into figures which represent biblical events from the time of Adam and Eve until Jesus’ birth. (supplies are available from Hearthsong 1-800-325-2502)
•      Bake something that requires “peeling sifting, pouring and stirring” like the kitchen angels did.
•     Make a traditional Italian Christmas Eve dinner. Throughout Italy, traditional dinners include twelve courses, in honor of the twelve apostles. (See recipe box for ideas, including Big Anthony’s cod.). This is a seafood dinner. You can do this now or wait until it’s really Christmas Eve.

More rabbit trails for older children:
•     Research Saint Nicholas. Read how his legend evolved in Hark! A Christmas Sampler.
•     Find Turkey on the map. What kind of country is it now? Write or dictate a report on your findings.
•     Find Italy on the map. Research Christmas traditions in Italy. Write or dictate a report on your findings.
•     Tomie de Paola has written several saints stories. He doesn’t have one entitled The Story of Saint Nicholas. Write and illustrate one.

Poet Study:
Read Twas The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore, Matt Tavares (Illustrator). Read every day, slowly, memorizing the poem together. This is the only poetry for the entire month. Break copywork into small chunks. Let children illustrate segments as they memorize.

Picture Study:
Monday     Discuss Tomie de Paola as an author and illustrator.
Tuesday     Read The Art Lesson by Tomie de Paola. Choose a picture of Saint Nicholas from country Angel Christmas to study.
Wednesday     Discuss your Saint Nicholas choice, without looking at the print, round robin style, beginning with the youngest child. Copy the picture or give a detailed oral narration of it.
Thursday     Compare an icon of Saint Nicholas to dePaola’s drawing in Country Angel Christmas. Draw your own picture of Saint Nicholas in any style you wish.

Science and Nature Study
•     Don’t forget to get outside for a hike and don’t let it get swept away by the pressure of the season. A brisk walk is a great stress-buster for mom and kids. Look for natural materials to use as Christmas decorations.

•     Decorate pinecones with glitter or sequins or wire them into a wreath. Tie cinnamon sticks with red ribbon. String popcorn and cranberries for outdoor trees to feed the birds.
Music:
Enjoy A Classical Kids Christmas

Tea Time Read Aloud
Saint’s biography: St. Nicholas the Wonder Worker (Neuberger)
Jotham’s Journey (Ytreeide) This is includes a daily reading for every day of Advent and Christmas Day. It is an adventure story that can get intense at times. Preview each selection and paraphrase if you think it necessary. Not a bedtime story.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 28 2005 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Here's an updated Word version of the second week:
2005-11-28_121232_de_Paola-Week_2.doc

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2005 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth,

This is so great! At first I thought your first link was the whole unit, and I was disappointed to not see all the books, but now I see where you are going. It's so fabulous, well-organized and really showing what areas you are covering.

Could I make a small suggestion? When you are done with the unit, can the beginning have a list of all the books you plan on using in the study, so it's easy to see at a glance what to get ahead of time?

Have you found a replacement recipe for Gingerbread without wheat?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2005 at 3:10am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just a really basic idea here. We have started Elizabeth's Advent to Ascension lapbook (thanks Elizabeth great idea) actually notebooking works best for us. Instead of illustrating the children are using colouring pages, holy cards etc. to great their pictures. Can't say anyone's written anything though, I'm wiped out just from getting them to illustrate a picture.

Looks great Elizabeth.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2005 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

We have done Tomie the last two years... and thoroughly enjoyed it. Last year we also snuck in the Christmas reindeer from Jan Brett.
I actually managed to find a couple of the book on sale in a secondhand bookstore... much cheaper

Yesterday at the library, I also discovered two other Christmas Tomie books... The Christmas Pageant and Christmas Carols. I have not managed to find the right version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas,but I do know that both Tomie and Jan Brett have a version

Thanks for everything Elizabeth...

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2005 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

This unit has become one of our traditions.
Yesterday Brigid and a friend made the star cookies. She commented that she found it funny that a picture would have her favorite cookie recipe.
Viv

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2005 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We just started reading Miracle on 34th Street -- written by Valentine Davies, but this version is illustrated by Tomie DePaola. What a great book and his pictures really help the story -- this will be our lunchtime read-aloud and the kids are really getting into it. We won't watch the movie (the old one of course) till we're all done -- we like to see how much the movie is like the book!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2005 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

~Rachel~ wrote:
Yesterday at the library, I also discovered two other Christmas Tomie books... The Christmas Pageant and Christmas Carols.

Ds loves the Pageant book! It's just so sweet. Haven't seen the Carols one, but keeping my eyes out. I also would like An Early American Christmas and The Friendly Beasts...but I'm still trying to get all the books that Elizabeth suggests in her unit. For some it's slow going!

Don't forget his pop-up book The First Christmas and his Advent Calendar.

~Rachel~ wrote:
I have not managed to find the right version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas,but I do know that both Tomie and Jan Brett have a version

I found Jan Brett's version in a local used bookstore...everyone turned around when I gasped and jumped up for joy. I haven't seen Tomie's, but I also include Tasha Tudor's version and the Cajun version and Holly Hobbie (yes, I'm dating myself) in our lineup.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2005 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

This looks wonderful, Elizabeth! I was at the library today, and wished we were using the de Paola study! We are using the Advent study from here instead Teaching Mom Advent study calendar

I love this one too! Maybe we'll use yours next year. I can't wait!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2005 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote momwise

We've printed out these Angel patterns for toilet paper rolls, and we're making Kira, Pip and Ari. Ds is going to make a little banner of St. Nicholas and they'll have a little procession to the table next Tuesday.

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2005 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Thank you Elizabeth. Can't wait to see the other weeks!

Blessings,
Lisa

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2005 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Today DS is making a collage of St. Nicholas... and was complaining because the picture I printed out for his to put his coloured squares on did not look like A Country Angel Christmas

I also LOVE Tasha Tudor... wonderful!

Quote:
: jenngm67
I found Jan Brett's version in a local used bookstore...everyone turned around when I gasped and jumped up for joy. I haven't seen Tomie's, but I also include Tasha Tudor's version and the Cajun version and Holly Hobbie (yes, I'm dating myself) in our lineup.

I used to have a toy Holly Hobby...

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2005 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Have y'all seen Tomie dePaola's The Friendly Beasts: an old English Christmas Carol? What a beauty! The whole book is just great "eye candy" for all DePaola enthusiasts!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2005 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I'm beginning to think we need a TdP fanclub here . Maybe we could convince him to illustrate some things we'd like

Lighting a Fire

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2005 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Elizabeth,

Are you going to post week 3? I've been enjoying each week. This is our first year really doing an Advent study and your more detailed guide has been wonderful--actually, this is our first year of really doing any sort of unit studies. I had been feeling overwhelmed and anxious, but it has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all your hard work.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 10 2005 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

KC in TX wrote:
Elizabeth,

Are you going to post week 3? I've been enjoying each week. This is our first year really doing an Advent study and your more detailed guide has been wonderful--actually, this is our first year of really doing any sort of unit studies. I had been feeling overwhelmed and anxious, but it has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all your hard work.

Dear KC,
Will you pray I have time to format it all tomorrow? We've had the stomach bug here and it has hit all 9 of us . I'm afraid my time at the keyboard has been neglected for time in my laundry room .Hopefully, tomorrow is the day...

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2005 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Your family will be in our Rosary tonight!

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2005 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Your family is in my prayers for a complete recovery. Reading previous posts I had been hoping some of you would be spared.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2005 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Oh, I'm sorry Elizabeth!

We have respiratory viruses here. Ugh. What a time of year to be sick. I'll be lifting your family in prayer.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

We can wait until you are able to Elizabeth... we'll pray for you here too.

Lighting a Fire

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version