Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: scoliosis Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 31 2008 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote Jess

My 5yr old dd has mild scoliosis that we found at her checkup back in May. So the dr said we needed to get her back xrayed every six months to make sure it wasn't getting worse. In May it was a 9% curve. We went back not long ago for another xray and the dr just called and said that now it is a 12.1% curve. I know those are small percentages but the getting worse is worrying me. She is only 5 and has a lot of growing to do and the dr said it gets worse usually in big growth times. The dr said she isn't worried yet and she just wants us to come back in six more months for another xray.
Does anyone have experience with scoliosis?

Thanks

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 31 2008 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Anne

YES!!!!!! We are dealing with a new diagnosis right now. My dd is 9 almost 10 and we found this out due to a change in the way she walked. We thought one leg was growing faster than the other. It turns out that she is just decompensating for her curve.

Right now she has a 12 degree curve and her spin is also twisting. Our Dr.'s are also saying wait and see. We have been going to physical therapy twice weekly to try to improve her walking gait. She limps a lot and complains sometimes of her hip hurting. I am not satisfied with just a wait and see attitude. We are going for a second opinion soon.

The first orthopedists says just xray every 3 months. I just want her to feel no pain and to walk comfortably.

She has been shying away from some play because she is afraid of getting hurt, left behind, or teased. My dd is so very outgoing and We just can't let this hold her back.

We have seen some research on Vertebral stapling. I am not a big fan of using surgery to fix things however I am not so closed minded that I will not even research all possibilities. My main focus has been to search the internet for anything related to scoliosis and to give my dd as much support and care as I can.

PM me if you want to stay in touch about this issue. I will keep posting about further developments.

Blessings

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 31 2008 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Anne

Here is a link to my post before the diagnosis.

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 31 2008 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Jess

Thank you Anne! I have done a little bit of research and I also found that the curve has to be 25% to be considered "significant". I guess I am just worried that since she is so young and it has increased in 6 months, that eventually she will be in the "significant" category, especially if she hits a big growth spurt.
Thanks for linking to your previous post, it was helpful.

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2008 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

DD was diagnosed 3 years ago, at the age of 6. She has to be x-rayed yearly, but so far there has been no significant change. The orthopedist told me that often during puberty, they see a big increase because of growth spurts, so we may increase the x-ray/checks as she grows.

Other than that, we just wait and see.

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

My dh has severe scoliosis - at its worst, a 90 degree curve, corrected to around 65 degrees following two surgeries for spinal fusion, insertion of a Harrington Rod, and addition of further rods. Thanks to his internal scaffolding, the scoliosis really causes him few problems. He suffers from back pain if he overdoes things physically, or if he is stressed, but not to the point where it affects his quality of life.

As scoliosis runs in his family our daughters are monitored regularly. My eldest dd has a perfect spine, but my second dd (10yo) has a small curve - 9 degrees, but it has not increased over the last year, and the doctor is not concerned about it beyond wanting to continue to monitor her. He says people are rarely symmetrical and some curvature is very common. My dh's nephew also had a small curve when he was quite young, and it corrected itself.

From our experience is is a case of waiting and watching. Most small curves will not progress to the point where they become significant. If your dd does eventually develop a significant curve, there are good treatment options. My dh is a good advertisement for surgery in the (unlikely) event that it becomes necessary. His only regret is that he didn't have it done earlier - he waited until his early twenties, and would probably have had a better outcome if it had been done in his teens.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I have had a problem with it--I was dx'd in my early teens--I don't know the degree, it was mild when it was caught (at a screening in my PE class, of all places)...

Mine was supposedly due to the way I would lay on the floor and read (alot--LOVED to read (still do, but prefer a chair, now, lol)...propped up on one hand, leaning on my elbow...

Anyway, I stopped doing that, and it never came up again until I was getting ready to get an epidural with dd#1...lol...it made it a trifle more difficult for it to be done, but not impossible.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Jamberry77
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote Jamberry77

Jess,

No expert advice, but I do recommend that you find ways for her to get strong and stay strong, even through the puberty years. Maybe find a physical therapist who can recommend some good exercises, and some sports that would keep her strong. I have mild scoliosis but it seems strong muscles really help to keep the spine closer to where it ought to be... weak muscles allow the spine to curve more, in my opinion. (I'm finding that the T-Tapp exercises are helping me, at this stage in my life.)

A first cousin of mine has a rod in her back (she's 37 now) and has done fine with it...she does do her exercises from her PT every day.

Hope this helps.

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 3:50am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Jamberry77 wrote:
No expert advice, but I do recommend that you find ways for her to get strong and stay strong, even through the puberty years.

I second that. One reason our daughters do ballet is because it helps with posture and back strength.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version