Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Funeral Music and Readings Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 26 2008 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I'm looking for music ideas for my sister-in-law's funeral Mass. I know we are using "Amazing Grace" (she loved it), but I need some suggestions. I have a feeling the folks at my SIL's parish aren't going to have many great ideas.

I plan to involve my oldest niece in the planning process, but I think it is good to have a list of ideas ready to share with her.

Many thanks...

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 26 2008 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Nancy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family.

I found the music list from our dear choir director's funeral (he died suddenly last November.) Songs included "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" (soloist and organ), "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling," "I am the Bread of Life," and "For the Beauty of the Earth." In addition, musical settings of "The Lord is My Shepherd" (either as the psalm for the Mass or as one of the hymns) are usually appropriate; one I'm familiar with is "The King of Love My Shepherd Is," but there are others.

Some other possibilities include: "Be Thou My Vision" or "Lord of All Hopefulness" (which is sung to the same tune, but has some beautiful words that are appropriate for a funeral), "What Wondrous Love is This," "I Heard the Voice of Jesus," and "O God, Our Help in Ages Past." And if your SIL liked any particular Marian hymns those are often sung at funerals as well (Ave Maria, O Sanctissima, Salve Regina, etc.).

Hope some of these titles are helpful; God bless you at this difficult time.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

One of my favorites is "How Great Thou Art". The 3rd and 4th verses are especially moving in the context of a funeral (imho). Praying for all of you at this difficult time.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Aw, Nancy. Funeral music is so tricky. I am not home, or I'd give you a boatload of suggestions from my hymnals.

This site had some sound and very practical suggestions.

Personal preference insertion -- I can't STAND "I Am the Bread of Life".

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

LOL Jennifer, I can't either! It's been used at nearly every funeral I've attended since, well, it was written. The only way I would use it for this Mass is if my niece specifically requests it...

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Had a recent discussion about the "bread of life" song...

Bad song. UGH.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Well, for the record, I'm not fond of it either--it was just something our choir director liked, so his widow requested it.

Of course, one of the reasons I hate that song is that it's nearly impossible for sopranos to sing the melody. I mean, come on--the A flat below middle C??? How many sopranos can sing that without bottoming out?

But since it is often requested for funeral Masses I mentioned it in my post.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Everyone has favorites (and least-favorites), Erin, and that's one of the beauties of a 2,000 year musical heritage. I also think we grow into our Catholic musical tradition as we mature. I used to completely dislike "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" as a child, but now it is one of my favorite hymns - partially because I've grown to appreciate chant, but also because the song now carries memories from every music group I've ever belonged to.

Jenn's link mentioned the idea that non-Catholics at funerals might appreciate some familiar hymns. We took this approach at our wedding - and it worked fairly well. I probably would choose a completely different set of hymns for my own funeral Mass (definitely "How Great Thou Art" instead of "Amazing Grace"), but we have to think about the people who will be there, particularly my nieces and MIL. And of their singing abilities! (My husband's family is very musical - his mom has a beautiful voice - too bad the acoustics of the church in question are Early Echo Chamber...)

All of the suggestions are great, so far. I have a decent list going now. Please keep them coming!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I second "I heard the Voice of Jesus", in parts it is very moving and a hymn that is loved by Catholics and those from other denominations.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Red Cardigan wrote:
Well, for the record, I'm not fond of it either--it was just something our choir director liked, so his widow requested it.

Of course, one of the reasons I hate that song is that it's nearly impossible for sopranos to sing the melody. I mean, come on--the A flat below middle C??? How many sopranos can sing that without bottoming out?

But since it is often requested for funeral Masses I mentioned it in my post.

I'm sorry about that, Erin. I wasn't directing it at you, as I had read that it was from your choir director's funeral...I wasn't pointing fingers at your choice, just voicing a personal opinion. It's a standard for funerals...around here it's going to be sung at Communion time unless you specifically DON'T ask for it.

I agree, it's musically very difficult to sing, especially for congregation. And I'm not fond of singing "God's part" in the lyrics of music.

My mother and I talk all the time about the music we want at our funerals. We'll try to fulfill each other's request, depending on who goes first. I just love the Gregorian chant Requiem Mass, particularly the Dies Irae. But what is most important that I just have people praying up a storm for my soul, right?

Sorry for the interruption, Nancy. It is nice to have music that many recognize. But typically few people sing at funerals, even if they know the music. It's more of a listening time.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Jennifer, you are fortunate. My mom won't talk about funeral music (I want "How Great Thou Art" for sure!), because it depresses her. I have this conversation with my best friend instead - she wants "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" and "O God, Our Help in Ages Past" at hers.

I spoke with my niece today and she does want to help plan everything, which is good. Tomorrow I will call the funeral home and church and get this process started.

After all this is done, I have a feeling dh and I will be looking at wills and making music lists. (I hold my parents' advance directives, but dh says he wants me to make the choice for him, if needed, without a directive. Sigh.)

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2008 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Nancy, I know that I am coming in a bit late on this, but I wanted to share this one thought. Our choir director allowed folks to plan their funeral music in advance. In fact, she encouraged it. Now, in most situations, this is not always an option. But when I first moved to Oklahoma, a 40-year old mom died from breast cancer. I did not know her very well, but I had helped with her care in the last several months of her life.

Okay, that is the end of the long story. The recessional for her funeral was "Let Us Build the City of God." It was such a sad funeral because she left behind three children and a husband who loved her dearly. I cried throughout the funeral, but that song at the end really gave me such a glimmer of hope.

Not to say that I did not love the other music at the funeral, it was just something that really impacted me. And I have choosen for my own funeral as well. I want folks to leave with a note of hope because that is what we all need in the end!

Praying for you and your family and for the repose of the soul of your sil.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version