Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Unschooling and laziness? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 25 2005 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Hey, Maria, I like to say there is a little bit of hippy in all of us!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2005 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I just blogged this but wanted to make sure you all see it and read it. Interesting...

SecretAgentMan writes how the "method should be invisible":

That's the whole ideal behind unschooling isn't it?

SecretAgentMan writes:

"Like actors, or policemen, or trial lawyers, what we're studying is methods, the techniques of teaching. And like actors, or policemen on a traffic stop, or lawyers before juries, if we do it right people won't notice 90% of what's going on. Few people waiting on the roadside for a traffic ticket notice the cop's surreptitious hand pushing on the trunk to see if it will open because there's contraband or someone hiding inside. Nor will they notice the cautious approach from the driver's or passenger's blind-side, meant to allow the officer time to observe someone reaching for a weapon or hiding something under the seat. When we see George C. Scott deliver his speech before that huge American flag well, by God, we think it's George S. Patton himself growling at us; we don't notice the acting, the acting is invisible. That's true for teaching, too. The method should be invisible, or at least unobtrusive, because it's not the point of what's happening.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2005 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

<<< "Like actors, or policemen, or trial lawyers, what we're studying is methods, the techniques of teaching. >>>

I can see what the writer is saying - but I wonder a bit.

For me, unschooling tends to be studying my children and their needs - and the needs of the family.

Methods of teaching are less important to me than my children,I guess, in a way.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

ladybugs wrote:
I have found that when they write things out, they very much care about how things are spelled....

Yes, mine too, which means that my 8 yob *completely* clams up! His poor cousin has written him at least five e-mails now and he won't respond because he "can't think of anything."    I am so frustrated!

And back to math and grammar. Today I just sent my kids out with sidewalk chalk to divide a block of the sidewalk into as many segments as they could using six lines (it's a Marilyn Burns technique). They seemed to like it after slogging through Saxon. I like Saxon. It is so well laid out and gives so much practice that I am absolutely pulling my hair out (this is also about the 4th math program we've tried in my 6 years of homeschooling). My oldest two get to a certain point in the book and then hit the intellectual wall. I know that with a little more neatness and care (like, for example, *reading* the introduction), my eldest would sail along just fine in most aspects of math. *IF* he would take the time to study, he could be a solid student in all areas. But he doesn't care. Now, I sometimes have the urge to unschool him because he probably needs a more active approach than I am able to provide. But I ask you, if he's dawdling and unappreciative of the time I put forth with him alone (and I'm schooling four of our seven kids now) in a more structured environment, how in the world can I trust that he'll take off with an interest?

He certainly took off in his interest in dinosaurs when he was 2, but guess what? Mom had to read aloud the entire time. I feel so strapped by math for all the kids. If we manage to get through three or four levels of math a day, I'm wiped out. And the boys are just not as interested in baking to sort out fractions.

It's not as difficult to see that grammar gets accomplished during unschooling as math when you can have a child write an e-mail to a cousin or write a paper for history or science and edit it. But still, everything is boring. He'd rather play outside. I, at times, would rather send him to school to protect my other children on whom his attitude is beginning to grate.

Any help?

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Leonie wrote:
For me, unschooling tends to be studying my children and their needs - and the needs of the family.

Methods of teaching are less important to me than my children,I guess, in a way.

Can you expand on this thought, Leonie? Can I send my son your way?

I unfortunately have no method, just madness.    When we were in the middle of a move to Germany, we didn't have ANYTHING but some lesson plans I made up and a couple of One Small Square books. I added spelling books and we had some thin Singapore math books. Everyone was swimmingly happy, even me.

We studied the woods behind our hotel until they cut them down. We had our goods delivered to our house December 17th and 18th. I scrambled to find some Christmas books. We bought a very Charlie Brown tree on December 23rd. I was expecting a baby in January. I don't know why I can't seem to recapture the interest and happiness everyone had then.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Tina P. wrote:
Leonie wrote:

Can you expand on this thought, Leonie?
I unfortunately have no method, just madness.    When we were in the middle of a move to Germany, we didn't have ANYTHING but some lesson plans I made up and a couple of One Small Square books. I added spelling books and we had some thin Singapore math books. Everyone was swimmingly happy, even me.

Tina, I could relate to all that you say.   
I would like to hear Leonie expand, too...
I worry that if I don't have a "method" and just focus on the kids, that I'll be too idiosyncratic. I'll emphasize what's important to ME or to my kids and let other things slip.   Part of my unschooling experiment this fall has been facing that discomfort and trying to tolerate it a bit to see if I can move past that worry and anxiety. Kim F told me once that fear and worry aren't from God.... made sense to me.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Tina, perhaps my method is madness!

I know the feeling of looking back with fondness at times when things seemed to gel - but I try not to look back to try to capture the joy of past times - each season of my life is diferent so I aim to look at what will make our homeschooling and our home life joyous and productive right now.

I think we all have a vision for homeschooling and parenting and a vision for helping our children become *who they are meant to be*, as faithful Christians. I also have the state's outcome statements and syllabi to be aware of, to show that my dc are covering what "needs" to be covered.

Both the vision and the nuts and bolts of state requirements prevent unschooling from being an experiment. We are living and learning and there are checks and balances ( the scope/sequence thing for the state and our own personal vision).

By studying my dc, I guess I mean that the child is more important than the method.

For example, if the method advocates memorization at age six, yet I have one who memorizes less and questions more ( my youngest son has been like this) - do I emphasize the method or go with the child's leanings?

I go with the child.

Or, of the method encourages the use of a nature book but I have a son who loves nature and nature observations but who prefers to draw fantasy - do I require nature drawings? or nature photographs?

I don't - I let the learning be from nature and discussion and observation and follow up, but let the drawing be from his heart's desire.

I am sure there are many different thoughts on this, but I feel that emphasizing the child, and the family, is more important for us than distinct methods. It may be pedagogically incorrect, but I see that learning occurs more readily when I study methods less and people more - and we still manage to cover those things that our personal vision describes and that the state requires.

Here is an interesting article -
How unschooling works

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Leonie -- thanks for the link to the article; I've saved it for deeper perusing .

I agree with everyone -- in other words, each homeschool has to do these things the best way for their own kids. Some need a bit of -- dare I say it -- structure in the unschool and some don't. Some have 8 kids that are all going in different directions, some have one or two that are all swimming together.

I think I need to put more trust in God's plan and keep praying that God will help me. I can't force education down the kids' throats -- as Cay said, they have to own it, it's theirs!

That said, it is heartbreaking to watch my 16yos dumb-down to the lowest common denominator at his school -- it's cool to be a C student I guess; it is heartbreaking to watch my very gifted 14 yod give up because it requires studying and WORK to pass the Seton curriculum. I don't think I could unschool them -- they have all bad habits now, and they're too close to college entrance time to play with this too much.

My littles I'm not so worried about -- they'll be homeschooled as long as I can -- with family-centered, child-directed, Catholic-based schooling.....

Thanks for all the advice ladies -- you're all in my daily prayers!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Just checked out your blog, Mary - its cool!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Thanks Leonie! High praise indeed from the woman who keeps giving me all these great book recommendatio ns....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

So let me get this straight. I give the child a book (like for instance, something on Elizabeth's list), he reads. Tells me, "Nice story, mom. Can I go out and play?" I ask him what he liked about it and let him go play? What about the necessary writing?

We just sort of naturally fell into these two infinite units: dinosaurs (from about age 2 to about age 9) and the Medieval Age (9 ad infinitum) based on Alex's interests. When I broke in with what I thought was a fun study of the ancient world (especially the geography and geology that were introduce before the ancient worlds), Alex said, "This is boring. This doesn't make sense." He's reading Shadowhawk. Same reaction. I'd like for him to write something about what he's learned, even if it's a letter to a cousin, telling his cousin what we're studying. No interest.

Can't you sort of gently persuade a child to pick up interests elsewhere? Frankly,I'm bored of both of his interests. Maybe that is my problem with him in particular. My interests are broad and shallow. His are as narrow as slits but very deep. We are forcing each other to think in the other's mindset.

I don't have trouble with any other child but my first in this area. Oh and how in the world is a child supposed to learn all the math they're supposed to know by unschooling?

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

I hope it's okay if I respond to this post. I have followed this thread from the beginning.

Tina P. wrote:
So let me get this straight. I give the child a book (like for instance, something on Elizabeth's list), he reads. Tells me, "Nice story, mom. Can I go out and play?" I ask him what he liked about it and let him go play? What about the necessary writing?

Why is writing necessary?

I have noticed with my kids that if they are reading a book they love, they want to talk about it. But they don't usually respond to "what did you like about the book?" questions. They usually end up telling me something about it on their own when they are too excited to contain it.

I have an 18 yr old who is still this way.

What I try to do instead of worrying about whether they talk about a particular book or not is to focus on connecting to the child each day in a meaningful way. Talk to your child like you would a girlfriend with genuine interest in what he or she is interested in. So if your child is more interested in playing outside, send him out. He may come in to Kool-Aid and cookies and you. And he might then tell you about what he saw in the backyard or how he played his game or what he wants to do next.

Conversations that center on the child - where we put aside our expectations - will lead to amazing narrations eventually. Time consuming? Can be. But the results are far superior to trying to "get narrations" or "writing" from kids.

Tina P. wrote:
We just sort of naturally fell into these two infinite units: dinosaurs (from about age 2 to about age 9) and the Medieval Age (9 ad infinitum) based on Alex's interests.

I think I posted here that one time we got stuck in ancient Greek mythology for over a year. It was frustrating to me, but I went with it (and did my own thing on the side).

Tina P. wrote:
When I broke in with what I thought was a fun study of the ancient world (especially the geography and geology that were introduce before the ancient worlds), Alex said, "This is boring. This doesn't make sense."

So that one isn't his cup of tea this year. Maybe in a few years. Maybe after reading more fantasy he'll show interest in ancient mythology and that will lead to ancient history.

Tina P. wrote:
He's reading Shadowhawk. Same reaction. I'd like for him to write something about what he's learned, even if it's a letter to a cousin, telling his cousin what we're studying. No interest.

He might need to have a better reason to write. Maybe he can write to a cousin asking what that cousin wants for Christmas so he can shop for him. Make writing practical and real whenever you can, especially for a reluctant writer.

Or you can drop writing for now and focus instead on building that conversational relationship. I know that probably sounds nutty (because I'm sure you talk to your son). But what I'm meaning is that you want to be intentional to notice the wonderful ways your son is already narrating life. Pay better attention to what he is interested in and give him your full attention. Then act on it.

If he brings up a computer game he is really into, play it and get a feel for how it works so you can contribute real questions and real comments that engage him.

Same with reading aloud. You get to share the story and discuss "What do you think will happen next?" and so on. This often works much better than sending a child to read a book he doesn't care about and then asking him to talk or write about it.

Tina P. wrote:
Can't you sort of gently persuade a child to pick up interests elsewhere?

Can you be persuaded to have interests you don't have?

Tina P. wrote:
Frankly,I'm bored of both of his interests.

And he is bored by yours. I would suggest you pursue your interest independent of him. While he reads his book, you read one you want to read. While he is on the X Box, you feed birds or crochet. While he studies fantasy, you read about ancient history.

Then from your rich life, you can share the tidbits of interesting stuff you are learning (narrating what you learn). You can even write about it and read your writing to the kids. Do Friday Freewrites together and share what you write.

Live the learning lifestyle you wish your kids had in front of them. It is contagious.

Tina P. wrote:
Maybe that is my problem with him in particular. My interests are broad and shallow. His are as narrow as slits but very deep. We are forcing each other to think in the other's mindset.

Good insight.

Tina P. wrote:
I don't have trouble with any other child but my first in this area. Oh and how in the world is a child supposed to learn all the math they're supposed to know by unschooling?

Math - apparently they learn a lot of it through computer games. My 11 year old sure has.

My first born continues to shock me. He is 18 and does not learn the way I do. Yet he is the most narrow and deep kid I know. I have had to let go of my expectations so many times that you'd think I would not have any left! The only thing I can say about having him first, though, is that he taught me what it is to be a passionate, competent learner if left to his own learning style. He has not suffered. In fact, he just finished his New Testament Greek class at university last night and the teacher just lvoes him... in spite of the fact that he hardly ever turned in homework and his final was late.

Yet the funny thing is, he learned Greek and does it for fun on his own at home. He went beyond the course. Greek is something he wants to know, not something he studied to get out of college (like all the other undergrads in the class).

So how can I complain? Oh, I don't know. I do anyway. I have to remind myself again and again that he and I are not alike in this area, but he is finding his way. And in spite of it all, I'm proud of him.

Julie

P.S. My next two down (16 and 14) are diligent student types. So my teaching style is not the issue here. It really does boil down to learning style.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 4:29am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

juliecinci wrote:
I hope it's okay if I respond to this post. I have followed this thread from the beginning.

Of course. I welcome all attempts to help me discern what's the best thing to do for my son.

juliecinci wrote:
Why is writing necessary?

Ooooh! You cut me to the quick!    I *am* a writer. My children necessarily must learn the mechanics of writing well. There are so many awful writers out there...many whose books are in print. Writing, along with understanding the natural progression of topic sentences, paragraphs that expand the topic sentence, sticking to a topic, paraphrasing, quoting, and citing references (among other things) is a skill that must be learned.

juliecinci wrote:
I have noticed with my kids that if they are reading a book they love, they want to talk about it. But they don't usually respond to "what did you like about the book?" questions. They usually end up telling me something about it on their own when they are too excited to contain it.

My children are not like yours in this way. My 11 yo is stuck in Bobbsey Twin and Boxcar Children land and has been for a couple of years. If I gently recommend another book ~ and we have a vast home library from which to choose ~ he resists. I suggested the Moffats last summer. He balked. I *assigned* (I hate using that word) a chapter a day until he found it interesting enough to actually ask whether we had more books in that series (which we did). He read the whole series that we have, but still sticks to the Boxcars and Bobbseys otherwise. I have to muscle him into reading different things, expanding his interests. It requires lots of energy.

juliecinci wrote:
If he brings up a computer game he is really into, play it and get a feel for how it works so you can contribute real questions and real comments that engage him.

You're kidding me! Do I have time to play a computer game? Besides which, my compassionate husband tried to play his game ~ either RollerCoaster Tycoon or Age of Empires ~ and Alex was directing and reaching for the mouse to get in on the action. Alex got a little too tense for Gus, so he quit the game.

juliecinci wrote:
Same with reading aloud. You get to share the story and discuss "What do you think will happen next?" and so on. This often works much better than sending a child to read a book he doesn't care about and then asking him to talk or write about it.

Tina P. wrote:
Can't you sort of gently persuade a child to pick up interests elsewhere?

Can you be persuaded to have interests you don't have?

Looks like you're telling me it's a requirement if I want him to get excited about learning anything.

juliecinci wrote:
Tina P. wrote:
Frankly,I'm bored of both of his interests.

And he is bored by yours.

Wow. You don't mince words, do you? Ouch!

juliecinci wrote:
I would suggest you pursue your interest independent of him. While he reads his book, you read one you want to read. While he is on the X Box, you feed birds or crochet. While he studies fantasy, you read about ancient history.

Then from your rich life, you can share the tidbits of interesting stuff you are learning (narrating what you learn). You can even write about it and read your writing to the kids. Do Friday Freewrites together and share what you write.

Live the learning lifestyle you wish your kids had in front of them. It is contagious.

OK. I think I understand what you're saying here. I used to do that. We're a little limited as to what we can do living on an Air Force Base as we are. But we're moving soon and will be in the civilian world, somewhere more out in the country, God willing. I haven't been able to pursue interests much because of limitations of space and time. I just keep having babies! That interest supersedes all others.

Thank you for your concern and wise words, Julie. It sounds like this type of learning could be costly in many ways, but it also sounds like the love of learning that this focus (it's difficult for me to focus on one child at a time when it seems that they all want attention at one time, mostly when I'm on the phone or computer! ) is worth the cost.

You said your two younger children are more studious. Do you still follow your interests and they follow theirs? How do history and science mesh? Don't you have to study some things before other things can be understood in those two areas? We bounce all over in history. I just keep praying that what we're doing is good for them eventually ~ eternally.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

It would be nice, wouldn't it, to be able to see into the future (not *live* in the future, just see) to know whether what you're doing with your children would work or not. But as it is, we must rely on God ~ His strength, to hold us up, His forebearance to tolerate all of our sins, His goodness and love so as to not allow us to fail. It is, after all His will we need to focus on (not that we can know His will right now ... which is sometimes what bothers me; I never was a good learner, always wanted to know it NOW), I need to trust in His desire for my family.

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hi Tina,

Last night, a wonderful priest came over for dinner. Father Lino, who is from Nicaragua, thoroughly enjoyed our children. He said that they were wonderful and full of life. I, lately, have been feeling very much like a failure as a homeschooling mother. Because my homeschool doesn't look like so-and-so's homeschool. This is always where I fall into a trap. The trap of comparisons.

Anyhow, Father was asking my children whether or not they had seen Narnia and which was preferred...the book or the movie. Everyone was anxious to express their opinions and I learned alot from my children in that small exchange. I learned that Isabella preferred the books and that her favorite book out of the series was The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. This was news to me because what I realized was that I had recently lost my focus and had tried to make my home look like someone else's school. I had become grumpy and frustrated...berating my family for my negative and inadequate feelings.   

In regards to unschooling, I think the implication of the word often gives the definition a negative rap. Unschooling, in our home, does not mean abandonment. I think for us, it means unconventionality. It means that I have to be creative in my approach because the convention doesn't seem to work...specifically with child #1. That's okay. Right now, I can say that with confidence and trust in God's providence and divine plan. Yesterday, I thought homeschooling was something that I did...not something that God does through me.

In regards to the writing, when we started our jam writing...which is like the Friday Freewrite that Julie offers on her website (and we have used her suggestions, too), I sat down with my children and came up with a list of topics...The Pirate who got his Peg Leg Stuck in a Bottle, The Flower that Had a Hard Time Growing, The People Who Cut in Line and were Arrested. Yesterday, we were driving to karate - my girls are all yellow belts now as they passed their tests - Isabella asked me what a pacifier was. I gave her several definitions. I also told her that in Venezuela, a pacifier (the kind a baby uses) is called a "chupong." (chewpong) I don't know the proper spelling, but I remember this word from when I was a little girl and always disliked it. ANYWAY, she thought it was funny. So, her idea was that it sounded like a Japanese word and my idea was that she could jam write to the topic of "King Kong needs a Chupong." We'll try that today. The reason I mention this is because if you can just relax for a little bit and regain your relationship with your son, you can come up with some creative and unique ideas for writing that he may find he wants to do. Ask him, but give him time to decompress from the mandates and explain to him where you're coming from. Sometimes talking will help to encourage what you're after.

I better get going. I cannot believe that it is December 15, already. We have Steve's cancer survivor's party this weekend in the Bay Area and tonight, as a gift from another family, our family is going to see the Nutcracker. This has been a tradition that I have wanted in my home and this is the 4th time we'll be going. However, tonight, we will be seeing the Sacramento Ballet perform. Yesterday, someone gave us $500.00 anonymously. I'm debating about whether or not to have our family go out to dinner beforehand.

What would you all do?

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Keeping Count

Here's an article that I think conveys the idea of what unschoolers try to reach for in regards to their children. I have seen the author's approach in my own behavior and from experience, I can say it has made the atmosphere in my home challenging, to say the least.

I hope it offers encouragement.

Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2005 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Oh, one thing I was just reminded of today in regards to writing...

write a story with them.

Agree on a topic,
Someone writes the beginning,
The next person reads (or has read to them) the previous sentence as a springboard,
Everyone has a turn twice or until you all decide that the story is finished...however it works out.

We wrote one like this called, Captain Pigglywinks Fluffy.

Yes, we're a little on the wacky side.

Just another idea...

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2005 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Tina, so sorry about being "ouchy" in my comments. Probably a bit artless on my part. I just read your line and it struck me as being a bit hard on him so I flipped it around.

I do think that it helps to try to pursue their interests with them a little bit, even if you end up not staying involved. I don't like X box games at all, but I do play two of them on occasion and they are always so glad when I do. I have much more appreciation for how difficult they are now that I've played them too!

As far as reading goes, I have an 11 year old who really doesn't like to read. He has read a few novels to himself but he doesn't read novels regularly at all. In fact, we just got home from Narnia and I suggested reading these and he said, "I like movies better."

Sigh.

But having watched my older ones (we have five and he is number four), I am trusting the process a bit more. He reads online and is perfectly capable of reading so I focus on reading *to him* instead of worrying about him reading novels.

The ones who are more self-motivated do their work without as much support from me, but we do discuss frequently what they are learning and I do read their work. My 16 year old daughter and I get together once a week at Barnes and Noble to work on writing.

My 14 year old son and I work on writing at home.

You have seven kids. That's two more than me! I can imagine you are very very busy. So I hope I didn't overstep. I just wanted you to have fun with them again! Maybe I misread you.

Peace, Tina.

Julie

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2005 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Willa

BrendaPeter wrote:
Personally, I have to be structured or unschooling will become unmothering in our house. For me it always comes down to "balance". I find that even the most structured homeschooler usually has a generous dose of unschooling thrown in. It just can't be helped!

I have been rereading this thread.   Brenda, I agree with this.   Often the very structured schooler has a lot of unschooling thrown in. In fact, this makes me think about my own school experience. I spent many hours a day in school and yet "unschooled" almost feverishly at lunch breaks and after school (when I SHOULD have been doing my homework ).... reading, writing, playing music, arts and crafts, and so on.

And I consistently read about "structured" homeschoolers whose kids do all kinds of neat community type things, apparently because they want to, not because they have to.

I also see that most unschoolers I read about have quite a bit of structure. Julie's life is an example. Her kids take classes and have plenty of community experiences. MacBeth's family is another example. I've pondered at HOW this type of structure differs from the "structured" homeschooler's.   One possibility is that the structure is initiated by the child's interests. That's part of it, but not all. Another possibility is that the structure is "REAL" structure.   It tends to have a community component and be the sort of thing an adult would do if he/she wanted to learn about or do something. In other words, it's not the standard K-12 curriculum super-imposed by the great Bureaucrats/Authorities who plan these things based on the "average" Statistical Child and upon politics and special interest lobbying, not because they know or care about our individual unique child.

But the borderlines are confused, to me.   Say a given classical homeschooler and Julie both have kids taking NT Greek in a college class -- what's the difference? It's not JUST that the kid wants to do it. Surely Julie's son has days when he would rather not get out of bed, but he does anyway. And I know classical homeschoolers whose kids really would WANT to take a college NT Greek course.   

There's something else.   That's where I get confused about the borderline between "structure" and "unstructure".

We picked up my oldest Liam at the AMTRAK station yesterday, and he has just come out of his room for the morning, so I I'm going to stop here and go make him some breakfast/brunch! I'm afraid this may be rather a confused post, because I was hoping to get to an insight in the course of writing it, and I didn't

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2005 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

What happened to Brenda Peters' post? I'd lovve to see it.

Julie: No hurt feelings. What you said hurt because it was so true. I *do* need to focus on my children more and determine their needs. My son and I whizzed through 5 lessons of Saxon math ~ granted, it was a year behind his own level and most of it was oral ~ in one day. We're doing this to find out just exactly where in that program he is confused. Some of the challenges (I don't like to call them problems ) he gets wrong I *know* are just because he is messy and doesn't follow the column format that is so necessary in computations. About other things, I realize that it's perhaps because he hasn't read the introductory material. But there are other answers that I just wonder, "Where in the world did he come up with *that* one?" I guess my point about telling you about whizzing through 5 lessons of math was that because we did it together, there was no complaining. He actually enjoyed it. Whoa. Big revelation.

However, I do worry a bit. If I offer him an hour for math, then offer my daughter an hour, then my two sons below her (and these two refuse to work with any older siblings)...that's four hours. Hmmm...then there are 5, 6, and 7 who, while they're not in school, do have vital needs. #6 has a fear of potty training so bad that he doesn't want to bathe anymore (he feels like he has to go when his little feet hit the warm water and he freaks out). #7 eats only breastmilk. #5 begs to do school so I pay attention to her already (and yes, I've resorted to buying workbooks so that she can *do school* too). Do you see where I'm going with this? Dad comes home and doesn't smell dinner cooking and the house is a mess and the inevitable question comes, "What have you been doing all day?"

I wonder whether we'll ever catch up with life.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version