Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Guadalupe Music Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Donna's thread with the Christmas folk songs album suggestion got me thinking about seasonal music collections. I love to get suggestions from the members of this board for music - there is so much out there and it's so hard to know what might be good from the overwhelming amount available.

So anyway, I just pulled out a CD we bought last year about this time. I had been eyeing it for a couple years. It is Our Lady of the Guitar. We are listening to it today for the Feast of St. Juan Diego and will be playing it throughout the week for OLoG Feast Day, too. It is a compilation of Spanish/Mexican guitar instrumentals honoring Our Lady of Guadalupe. An interesting mix of traditional music, some Tex-Mex, some influenced by the indiginous cultures, as well as some from 13th century Spanish songs. I really enjoy it - but I love Spanish guitar (and knowing these honor Our Lady makes the songs even lovelier).

I'm going to start another thread for Christmas, Advent, Feast Day music/CD recommendations.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Oooh, Mary, this is great! I see some old favorites there like De Colores and the Mananitas, and is one Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring?

I see the Amazon site says that you can do an MP3 download and it is also listed at Itunes which is the way I'll probably go.

Do you have a recommendation for Las Posadas?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Yes, Serenata Para la Pieta is Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" played in the style of a serestra (or serenade). "Peregrinos" is a tune based on a 13th century song from Spain sung by pilgrims going to various shrines of Our Lady. "Ave Maria de los Americas" is based on Schubert's "Ave Maria" melody with added elements of Cuban and Mexican bolero.

One of these days I guess I should go the mp3 or Itunes way - all the rest of my family does! but I haven't transitioned. It would be a better way to get compilations of just what I like, huh?

I don't have any specific Las Posadas music myself. A few years ago I found this collection from Smithsonian Folkways - Cantos de Las Posadas and Other Christmas Songs and suggested it in another thread. It's a re-release of a 1963 recording. It has some sound clips so you can get a feel for the music style and quality.

Smithsonian Folkways Recordings is the non-profit record label of the Smithsonian Insititute that is dedicated to preserving folk and cultural music from around the world. I stumbled on them when I was looking for a copy of an old album my parents had of "Christmas in Poland" - it was produced by Monitor Records about 40 years ago (and we had never been able to find other copies of this album after I left home and wanted a copy). The Monitor Record label was founded in the early 1950's and specialized in music from behind the Iron Curtain to fill a gap they perceived in the music available to the American public--music from the then-Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc. Several years ago, Monitor Records was purchased by Smithsonian Folkways so that this treasury of music would still be available to the public. They have the masters of these recordings and can reproduce them on tape or CD and now it looks like they have digital downloads.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The cd I love was recommended by Kelly by SAVAE: Guadalupe, Virgen de los Indios. I haven't gotten the other album, El Milagro de Guadalupe.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm not up to speed on mp3s either, Mary. I don't have or want an Ipod, because I don't want ear phones, and to make it useful on speaker system would cost even more...so why bother? Plus my computer needs upgrading, so even more.

I keep toying with buying those albums from Smithsonian Pathways. But I have a hard enough time playing the albums we already have. Ever say "enough"?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm back again...in searching for the cds on Amazon I saw two performed by Chanticleer that would be suitable:

Mexican Baroque and Matins for the Virgin of Guadeloupe

Has anyone heard them before? Although I said I was not wanting to add more to my collection I was eyeing some Chanticleer recordings.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
I'm back again...in searching for the cds on Amazon I saw two performed by Chanticleer that would be suitable:

Mexican Baroque and Matins for the Virgin of Guadeloupe

Has anyone heard them before? Although I said I was not wanting to add more to my collection I was eyeing some Chanticleer recordings.

I saw them also, and was wondering, too, but am not familiar myself.

Our Domestic Church

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I have listened to Matins for the Virgin of Guadalupe (our library has it) and it is beautiful. It has a prayerful, classical music feel.

I also bought for myself this year, San Antonio Vocal Arts Ensemble's El Milagro de Guadalupe (mentioned by Jen above). It is spectacular! My kids and I actually prefer this CD over the Matins for the Virgin of Guadalupe CD because it is the music of the Indians of Mexico. The CD states:

"Many of the pieces, transcribed from original cathedral manuscripts discovered in the 1960s, were written by native Aztec and Nahua composers, some of which have not been heard for over 400 years."

This CD really set the tone for our celebrations.
Back to Top View Waverley's Profile Search for other posts by Waverley

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping...

Our Domestic Church

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

JennGM wrote:
The cd I love was recommended by Kelly by SAVAE: Guadalupe, Virgen de los Indios. I haven't gotten the other album, El Milagro de Guadalupe.

I have El Milagro de Guadalupe. I love the fact that it has many authentic mid-16th century Aztec songs, including the "Teponazcuicatl", which tradition says was the music played as the miraculous tilma was carried in procession from Mexico City Cathedral to the cathedral on the hill of Tepeyac on December 26, 1531. Very interesting music including drums as accompaniment and a chant-like feel. I love to experience the way in which the Church incorporated and elevated the music and art of newly converted nations; this CD definitely illustrates this process.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version