Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Dinnerware for a big family Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 15 2005 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Thanks, Michele. Wow, a sewing forum would be great! I go through phases when I sew a lot and then don't do any sewing for awhile. I have sewn many purses for friends and family (my 5 sisters). I'm ready to make some skirts for myself. I haven't sewn clothes for myself in about 7 years. Most of the sewing I do is for the home. I'm definitely going to pull the serger out of the box and set it up next to my sewing machine. I remember one of the first shirts I made was out of a pretty white pique. It had big black buttons up the back. I didn't finish the seams out (I sometimes do the zigzag stitch to do this) and the first time I washed it, it was a ball of threads ! I was so disappointed but learned a good lesson! Courtney in Texas
Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Courtney I remember one of the first shirts I made was out of a pretty white pique. It had big black buttons up the back. I didn't finish the seams out (I sometimes do the zigzag stitch to do this) and the first time I washed it, it was a ball of threads

I have done this as well, oh well, live and learn. It is heartbreaking though. Michelle recommended this Pattern Review site to me on the MO list and I have found it to be really helpful and inspiring. I guess we should probably start that sewing thread now....

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Courtney wrote:
Thanks, Michele. Wow, a sewing forum would be great!

Well then I must tell you about the best sewing list online. It is super friendly and the women there are really knowledgable and helpful. It's called the Nursing Mother's Sewing List, but it's NOT just for nursing mother's as there are many woman on there who aren't nursing at all anymore. It IS very nursing friendly though, as well as pro child and pro family. I've been a member there for many years. The knowledge I've gained has improved my sewing tremendously. . .and it keeps me inspired to sew -- a BIG plus!

One caveat; it can be REALLY high volume sometimes. But there's always the option of just reading from the archive page.

Maybe I'll "see" some of you there.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Thanks, Michele and Mary Ellen. I'll check out these sites. I see a sewing thread (pardon the pun) has been started. Hopefully I'll get motivated!
Courtney

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2005 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

What do you think of this serger?
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp04955-0270.html

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:00am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I know this has changed to sewing, but I just wanted to mention that I do like my new Penney's dishes. I also bought a big flatware set from them for $40, but I want to caution any of you who may be considering that set that it's very light. Dh doesn't like it, so I guess we won't be keeping it. I had already washed it all because I was so excited to have a big matching set ! Anyone in Northern Virginia interested in a huge matching lightweight never-been-used clean flatware set? I'm serious...PM me if you're interested.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 24 2005 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Molly, I am glad that you posted once again on how happy you are with the set of dishes. I had put off ordering them. Then when I went to look at them again recently, the price had gone up. Out of curiosity, I went back and looked again after reading your post. The price is back to what it was when this thread started . . . and I just ordered them! Thanks again!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

After 5 years this set is pretty beat up for us. Many pieces broken or missing now. So I looked for a new set when we moved and found this one at Boscov's. I bought 2 sets for $40 total. I really like it! I like the bowls better on this one (and there are small bowls too which are really great for ice cream).

Just thought I would share. What with Christmas coming up and all.

Oh and I finally got a decent set of flatware (the first nice set I've ever had). Boscov's has some incredible deals lately. I saw a 18/10 Oneida set for half price at $150! That was in store but it may be online too. I didn't get it because I wanted service for 16 but I did get a comparable set (also Oneida) at Kohl's for only slightly more. it's amazing to me how different (nice!) good silverware is!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Elizabeth wrote:
I LOVE tableware Can some recommend a good source for wash and wear tablecloths and napkins? Remember, the tablecloths must be BIG! And I would prefer not to iron

I bought a purple one from this company Linen Tablecloth So cheap, good thick material, and liturgical colors, which is what I had been looking for.
And now that the Aussie dollar is doing well I just might buy some more Unfortunately someone decided to cut something out on mine, and now it has cuts on it Oh and the one I have linked is polyester not linen, and they do have a larger size available.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Sharyn wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
I LOVE tableware Can some recommend a good source for wash and wear tablecloths and napkins? Remember, the tablecloths must be BIG! And I would prefer not to iron

I bought a purple one from this company Linen Tablecloth So cheap, good thick material, and liturgical colors, which is what I had been looking for.
And now that the Aussie dollar is doing well I just might buy some more Unfortunately someone decided to cut something out on mine, and now it has cuts on it Oh and the one I have linked is polyester not linen, and they do have a larger size available.

Oh wow these are great. Thanks for posting --I just ordered a green, purple, white and red one (I already have a nice gold one)!

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Sharyn wrote:

Awesome!
Now if only we could get around to buying the big table that fits us all, we can buy something to put on top of it! Thanks! Great prices, and napkins too!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 12:31am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Yes, those napkins are a great price, too. Thanks.

Looks like a great deal on the dishes, Michele.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version