Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: organizing books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 20 2006 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

kingvozzo wrote:
Pre-ISBN here in the states, they used an LCCN (Library of Congress Catalog Number). There are many books that don't have ISBN's that have LCCN's. Also, Amazon has been quite helpful for pulling up info on books where the ISBN's don't match. I can look the book up on Amazon, then cut and paste the ASIN (I have no idea what that is) or the ISBN from the info section on the book.

So does this give you the book cover pictures that you get with the ISBN's? For some reason I really like them Do you also get the information automatically uploaded? ie. page numbers, publ. dates etc?

kingvozzo wrote:
I have the CueCat scanner, which we got free from Readerware. Dh ordered the bundle... I would have just ordered the book version and gotten a CueCat from ebay--they're only $10-15. Would they work for you?

I'll have to look into all of this, I'm not too sure where dh got his info from.

kingvozzo wrote:
I'm surprised at the value assigned to some of my books, both high and low. We have thousands of dollars in books, including all the somewhat twaddly kids books that are pulling up for $0.01

This has totally surprised me also! I feel the prices are all over the place. One book I have "mice and Mendelson by Joan Aiken' is coming up as over $100!! yet other books are rather undervalued. I think I'm up to about $19000 worth    Unbelievable!!

kingvozzo wrote:
Are you also keeping a list of the library books you bring in?

Haven't started to yet, although I mean to. The other day I wanted to enter some in before I returned them but as dh was at work I just jotted down the titles. I'm not really computer savvy Computer programs are obviously written by males and I don't follow.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Doesn't if go fast when you have ISBN numbers of uplaod? I have one bookcase of reference books and it only took 50 minutes to type in.

Now another question I'm hoping you all have a suggestion for: Picture books. I've just been entering them and it occurs to me I need an easy system to find them on the shelves. I am going to put them all on the one bookcase - bar some I'll rotate to the bedrooms of the little folk.

I was thinking I need an easy way to identify via the spine, should I have some sort of colour code for subject areas, or perhaps identify the authors somehow? There are many great books not being read from these shelves Love to hear your suggestions.

Actually the library's way of open wooden boxes make it easy for the little folks to browse. I am considering using the author system for the older children's books also. Has anyone done this. It is just I'm getting a little overwhelmed trying to keep some sort of order.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 29 2006 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just thought I'd share that I have completed entering and orgainsing three of the bookcases.

Now this may sound way out there and excessive but I alphabetised the children's books in this room. All the A authors together, B and so on. At first I didn't know what I thought of the idea but I tried it and loved it. It made it easier to go through and find the doubles and decide on the twaddle. These are what I classify as literature and also our Australian novels.

I'm also making good progress with the picture books. I'm going to use a piece of card at this stage to divide the subject areas.

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 25 2007 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

*bump*
I need to organize books in a bad way. I was thinking I could use the catalog numbers on the books, the way the library does. A lot of our books don't have anything inside to show what that number is. What works for y'all? Would I be better off just putting everything in alphabetical order with a list somewhere to guide the girls?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2007 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Cindy
That's alot of work to keep in order. How old are your girls? Would they stick to the plan or would you be the 'librarian?'.

What sort of books do you have? Are you talking about lots of books?

As I wrote back in July I alphabetized 'some' of our books, the literature reads, anyhow I gave up that plan and now have a different system

Iwas the one always having to put the books back.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2007 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Can you just keep *like* books together? I guess I'm thinking keep the literature ones on one wall, the science, math and art on another, the history ... well, history takes up one whole wall in our schoolroom. I put anything history (or science, or math, or art ... ), from picture books to highschool level books together. It's not the best system. I still find myself searching for this or that book that I *know* I own sometimes. But at least I'm trying to maintain method in our madness.

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 25 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

My book system is going to change soon, as we have two new bookcases to fill with the unpacked books from our move in January! I will basically adapt what I'm doing now, which is a sort of "like books together" system.

"Adult" books: Religious/spiritual reading on one shelf/shelves together. Trade books (husband's construction, my writing books) and magazines together respectively.
Hardback books that look nice go on the shelves where books are most likely to be seen i.e. living room, starting with classics, then anthologies and novels, then nonfiction.
Anything else gets shelved in whatever room is left.

Children's books: For literature, collections/anthologies and big books go together. Picture books go together. Chapter books go together. One day soon I may need a better way for that.
Best board books go in a basket in the living room.
I have shelves for "school subjects" too, according to my state's requirements of reading, language arts, math, science, and social studies. Actually, reading and language arts share anything not "literature," math and science currently share--Behold and See is on the same shelf as Math-U-See is on the same shelf as One Small Square books--and since religion is usually my social studies work, it's the largest collection. Plus I have a shelf for arts and crafts books.
Twaddle goes on a shelf where I can slowly remove it. I do mean slowly--my kids notice missing things that I never would have guessed they remember. <sigh>

Nicole
Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

This thread is interesting - I have been reading Thomas Jefferson Education material lately, and their suggestion is to not organize young children's books at all. They recommend not even putting them neatly on the shelf. The idea is that they will be more appealing to children if they look less organized, and that your children will have to search for what they want, which will encourage them to explore the whole collection more often. The whole idea is to get them to empty the shelf (which isn't so bad when you don't worry about how they get put back). I haven't tried it (my instincts are to alphabetize ), but it sounds interesting!

Tracy, who took a long hiatus from reading the 4Real boards, but missed you all!

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Reorganize books any way you want - the reorganization itself always seems to encourage children reading... . Everytime I come up with a new plan, my children really, really find new treasures as everything gets rearranged. Currently, I have a totally unorganized shelf of picture books and easy readers for youngers. I have a basket for easy science books and a shelf for easy history books.

Then all the elementary and above material (ie stuff for about 4th grade and above) is organized by subject matter. I have history on an entire wall of shelves (with textbooks at the very top as these are used only as references), a smaller bookshelf for science, two bookshelves for religion (texts, devotional reading and Bible study). I have another entire and large bookshelf of saints books for all ages. I keep the various Vision, Wyndeatt and Encounter series together. I have a bookshelf for grammar references, dictionaries, etc. I have a shelf for foreign language curriculums, workbooks, teacher support material and some other misc. I have another entire wall of bookshelves for literature. I have this divided into historical fiction and other fiction. The historical fiction is organized in a timeline fashion with one section for U.S. and another for the rest of the world. The rest of the fiction is organized alphabetically by authors last name. I have one bookshelf (and nearby table with stacks of books) that holds the current materials for our RC History (historical fiction, classics from the time period, texts and references, and even other history plans (like history links and ABCs that correspond to the period being studied - currently ancient History) Basically everything we own for that period is either on that shelf or on that table - or hidden in dd room.

I do have one shelf in my bedroom closet for all the old textbooks (mostly math and science) that I may need to use one day trying to explain something or to come up with a new approach to an old problem (or old approach as the case may be ).

We are seriosly overrun with books, even after pulling off the shelf.

Do my books stay organized - Never. That is when I reorganize (every end of school year). I've got to make room for the next batch of books and somehow find a way to know what I have, who I have loaned them to and not spend 3 hours looking for that book that I know has just the information someone is looking for. This reorganization is most productive. I usually part with a few more things (growing ever so slowly in the detachment department) and, best of all, my children seem to get a new interest from books being unearthed that got lost in the crowd - or because the new books are still in piles waiting until I can make room. They usually read all their following historical fiction in the summer long before we start the school year - while I am frantically trying to find shelf room for it.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

ALmom wrote:
I do have one shelf in my bedroom closet for all the old textbooks (mostly math and science) that I may need to use one day trying to explain something or to come up with a new approach to an old problem (or old approach as the case may be ).

Why is it that closets and textbooks go hand-in-hand? Our whole math curriculum lines a coat closet floor in our entry way. I hide easy readers in our storage room/closet. This cracks me up!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version