Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Wonderful and not widely-known saint book Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 26 2008 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

The Wonderful Life of Russia's Saint Sergius of Radonezh

I just submitted the first Amazon review on this book; it should be up soon. I'm surprised no one seems to know about it; it's a lovely little treasure!

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2008 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Martha

thanks! that does look like a beautiful book!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2008 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thanks, Ellie! I'm not familiar with Saint Sergius of Radonezh so I went looking for more information. I found this article which states, "Here is a leading fourteenth-century Russian monk who was canonized by the separated Russian Orthodox Church but accepted by Pope Pius XII as a saint in the Roman Catholic Greek-rite calendar." I also found this very recent and interesting article, The Roots of Identity which states, "But today I saw evidence of faith in Russia. St. Sergius is one of the most revered of all Russian Orthodox saints. His life is considered a model of Christian holiness for Russian Orthodox the way the life of St. Francis of Assisi is considered a model of Christian holiness by Catholics. His relics are preserved at Sergiev Posad monastery, and the casket they are contained in is opened so that his bones may actually be kissed by those who wish to venerate him, I was told, only on this day each year."

Fascinating!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 27 2008 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Angie, how can one find out if an Orthodox saint has been accepted as such by the Catholic Church? I just received my copy of A Saint and His Lion (a Catholic Mosaic selection) and was surprised to find that St. Tekla was canonized by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (after the schism).

Nathan LOVES the story, and it has been a wonderful lead-in to learn more about Ethiopia. But it did lead me to wonder whether Orthodox saints are recognized as such by Catholics. Your post above seems to indicate there is some formal recognition process. Do you know how that works?

I would love to learn more about other Orthodox saints, considering that together, the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church were considered by JPII to be the left and right lungs of the Church!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2008 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

hmbress wrote:
Angie, how can one find out if an Orthodox saint has been accepted as such by the Catholic Church?

Heather, this is a great question...one I don't know the answer to. I research individual saints when they are brought to my attention and I'm not aware of a list or guidelines. If someone is, that would be interesting!

For me, developing relationships with the saints on the current Roman calendar offers abundant opportunities for learning through their examples and asking for their intercession. In a different way, I enjoy learning about saints for reasons of culture, history, story, etc. who are not listed on the calendar.

Love,    

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2008 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

All I know is that he was listed on the Patron Saint Index.

But saints in the Orthodox Churches are accepted before the Great Schism and then it seems only on a case by case basis after that.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2008 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

What is the feast day for Saint Sergius of Radonezh? I can't seem to locate it but I'm on the fly and lack research time.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 10 2008 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

September 25

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Thank you, Jennifer.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 10 2008 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I've had my eye on the St. Sergius book for quite a while based on blurbs I've seen. I'm so glad that you reviewed it, Ellie. It sounds lovely. :-)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version