Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Farmer Boy type books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I just posted on the Redwall thread that my ds (12) is a big fan. He is actually a big fan of any fantasy type book. I don't complain because he has discovered this new love for reading in the past couple of years and I don't want to discourage. He has read the Narnia books, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (twice), and all the Redwall books (some of those twice). While I am delighted with his voracious appetite for reading lately, I am also trying to get him interested in other genre. He is reading some historical fiction that he likes (Shadow Hawk) and surprisingly, he enjoyed listening to Farmer Boy when I read it to his younger sister. At first he said he didn't want to listen because "Laura Engalls Wilder books were for girls" but once I got into the book he changed his mind. NOw he is wondering if there are any other books like Farmer Boy that he could read while he's waiting for the next Redwall book. Any suggestions?
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 6:03am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Becky
How about 'The Great Brain' by John Fitzgerald. Not a Farmer Boy one but a boy book.

By ds who also loves the books your son does loves the Bush Boys series written by a Catholic Priest here. Fr James Tierney. There are four books and they have all these amazing adventures learning camping craft and bush skills in the meantime. Of course the children are homeschooled and lots of large families.

My ds was also a late bloomer, he also loves HIlda Van Stockum's books not particularly 'boy' books nor fantasty but popular with him. I do think it is harder building collections for boys in some ways than girls.

There is another series at the library similar to REdwall although apparently not as well written, by Gary ? I think can anyone help here.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

William O. Steele wrote books about boys struggling with something. They usually take place in a historical setting. In most books the boys get mad, run away, and learn the hard way. While most are out of print, I believe "The Buffalo Knife" is reprinted. My son likes his series. We read aloud "By Wagon and Flatboat" which you can get on Amazon from book dealers. However, I warn about this book-there is a story in the middle when a girl talks about how her family, including a baby was killed by Indians. I simply skipped that part because I had young ears listening too. They didn't know I skipped it, though. He could probably handle it-there's no impurity. Its out of print, too. Don't you hate when people suggest out of print books? I have learned that you can get most of these books from sellers on Amazon. I've had great success with this method. Would he like Charlotte's Web?

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

Erin wrote:

the Bush Boys series written by a Catholic Priest here. Fr James Tierney

Where can I find copies of these books? They sound like something I'd really be interested in for my son.

Thanks!
Christine
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

How about any of the King Arthur books... or we just finished Fingal's Quest by Madeleine Polland and it was excellent and full of adventure, all BOY! I was also on the Vision Forum and they have th G.A. Henty Historical books in their boy's section, looks interesting although we've not read any of these yet??

HTH

Oh, Robinson Crusoe, he's probably read it already?

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

And there's always Swallows and Amazons (just turn your speakers down as the music on the page is loud!).

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Bush Boys

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Swallows and Amazons are the periennial favorite here. They are Rick's read alouds. He builds small boats, sail and a few rowing craft, so he loves the stories.
If you do a google search you can find some info on the actual boats.

Viv

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2005 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. We just started Swallows and Amazons. We don't know much about sailing so the vocabulary is a bit challenging in the first chapters but we are looking forward to the adventure on the island! We are reading this one together, I think I'll check on Bush Boys for him to read on his own.
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2005 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Treasure Island
Tom Sawyer

Madeline L'engle's series, beginning with A Wrinkle in Time

these are some my 12 yo ds has enjoyed. I just picked up Meet the Austins, another L'engle book, for him.

We are reading Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (Dahl) aloud right now, for all three kids (4, 5 and 12) and will be starting Peter Pan next - I just listened to an audio version from our library myself and enjoyed it so much. The younger two have not read/seen the Disney version so I'd love to read this first - just have to find my copy!

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2005 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Oh, I meant to add, for some reason my ds just didn't get into the Swallows and Amazons books. I read the first two, and made him read the first one but he really didn't like it. Maybe the difference is he's never had any interest in boats, etc., and the characters are a little younger, too. I'm going to try and interest the 5 yo in them when he gets to be about 7.
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2005 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Becky Parker wrote:
NOw he is wondering if there are any other books like Farmer Boy that he could read while he's waiting for the next Redwall book. Any suggestions?

"...like Farmer Boy..." Is he looking for historical farm/pioneer stories with boy main characters? I think the Little Britches books (or others by Ralph Moody) might fit that bill.

My son who liked fantasy (Red Wall in particular) also really did get into historical fiction particularly that about Civil War times at that age. One he just pointed out as liking a lot when he was around 12 was Jayhawker. There are many other by Patricia Beatty that he read.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2005 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

happyheartsmom wrote:
I was also on the Vision Forum and they have th G.A. Henty Historical books in their boy's section, looks interesting although we've not read any of these yet??

My oldest (the one who loved historical fiction) read a lot of the Henty books and really liked them. They have been discussed on a thread here somewhere and I remember that many found them hard to get into and didn't enjoy them. One thing with the books though you do have to be careful as some are anti-Catholic. If it is covering a period of history specifically about Catholics or Catholic-Protestant conflict you know how they will be biased. He didn't read those titles.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2005 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Farmer books? How about the Ralph Moody series, starting with "Little Britches". They're often billed as "'Little House' for Boys"!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

great ideas! Did you know that L.M.Alcott wrote a book titled Little Men? My boys liked it even though they thought of Little Women as a girls book. I found it at the library.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version