Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Ember Days and Seasonal Preparations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 06 2011 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I meant to invite others to share their Fall Ember Day plans and seasonal preparations here for inspiration.

I hope to sit down with my planner and jot down some plans for the upcoming Autumn Ember Days over the course of this week. I'll come back and share when I finish!

Do share your plans and ideas if you have any to add!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2011 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

Thank you all so much for this thread, and all the wonderful links!!! I have been wanting to learn more about Ember Days since my introduction to the TLM and our marriage and beginning of our own Domestic Church, but didn't ever remember or find the time to research this. This is perfect , and soooo very exciting for me to have found ALL this info here and be able to finally start observing these days of the Church Year! There are so many beautiful traditions, with rich meaning that we have lost in recent times. Thank you one and all who contributed info here!

Thank you Jen for bumping this, or I never would have found it. and

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Bump because it is coming upon us yet again this year and I intend to celebrate it with abandon!   

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

I keep meaning to try and introduce Ember Days int our family... hasn't happened yet. Maybe this will be the year!

If I am counting right, would they be Sept. 19, 21, and 22 this year?

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2012 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Today is the Wednesday Ember Day. Father Zuhlsdorf ember day posts.

Our current missals don't reflect the Mass readings for the Ember Days, so it's nice to pull out an older one and read the readings that were chosen with this theme. I really love the St. Andrew Bible Missal (any year) that gives some wonderful commentary on the readings.

I was pulling out my prayerbooks and missals to understand the September Ember Days.

From St. Andrew Missal, 1958:

Quote:
The September Ember days recall the happy anniversary of the restoration of Jerusalem on the return of the Jews from Babylon and the promulgation of the Law which became once again the constitution of the people of God. But beyond the deliverance of the Jews the Church sees our own and in commemorating the history of Israel it is our own redemption in Christ that the church calls on us to celebrate.

This joy is accompanied by a spirit of penance, as is usual at Embertide; it finds expression in the fasting and the violet vestments that are worn. The remembrance of our redemption is matched by that of our sins and lapses; the Church calls on us to fast and pray in order to purify our lives and snatch them from the power of the devil, and to find in God's mercy a remedy for our sins.

The New Marian Missal from 1959:

Quote:
The September Ember Days are found in the Roman Missal after the seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost. At the present time, they always fall after the 14th of September (Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross). this date nearly classes with the end of summer, which for the ancients was the 12th of September (pridie Id. sept.) and with the opening of autumn on September 13 (Ides of Set.: Idibus Septembris). The Ember Days of winter, spring and summer do not clash so exactly with the beginning of the respective seasons.

and Maryknoll Missal 1961:

Quote:
During these Ember Days every Christian should beg a blessing upon the new planting and sowing of crops that will feed the earth's millions. Everyone should also offer to God the first fruits of the spring harvest. Moreover, this is a time to pray for the deacons will be ordained to the priesthood on the coming Saturday.

The marvel of divine indwelling and of direct divine action in human hearts surpasses all miracles and all the possible marvels of the natural universe. In the reign of the Holy Spirit over all mankind, this wonder of divine wonders is accomplished through the sacraments, especially the Holy Eucharist, in which Christ is our life-giving food.

And finally, Blessed Be God, 1961, Rev. Charles Callan.

Quote:
The Ember Days are kept on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday in a week of each of the four seasons of the year. They fall after Ash Wednesday, after Whitsunday, after September 14, and after December 13.

Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday were days of particularly devotion in the early church: Wednesday, as recalling the betrayal of our Lord, and Friday in memory of His Passion, Saturday was later added to these days of prayer and penance as a continuation of Friday, and as far back as the second century they were set apart as Stational days, that is as days of special religious service and fasting.

The Ember Days, although the occasion of their institution is uncertain, are a reminder of these ancient days of devotion. Their purpose is to thank God for the fruits of the earth and other gifts of nature, to teach moderation in their use, and to assist the needy. From the time of Pope Gelasius in the fifth century it has been allowed to confer the diaconate and priesthood on the Saturdays of Ember weeks.

Antiphon: Bless the Lord, O my soul, and never forget all He hath done for thee.
V. Lord, Thou has been our refuge.
R. From generation to generation.

Let us Pray:
Grant, we beseech Thee, almighty God, that as year by year we devoutly keep these holy observances, we may be pleasing to Thee both in body and soul. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

In Honor of Christ's Betrayal and Passion

O God, Who for the world's Redemption was pleased to be born, circumcised, rejected by the Jews, betrayed by the kiss of traitor Judas, bound with chains, led like an innocent lamb to sacrifice, and shamefully presented before Annas, Caiphas, Pilate, and Herod, accused by false witnesses, beaten with whips, buffeted, insulted, spat upon, crowned with thorns, smitten with a reed, blindfolded, stripped of Thy garments, fastened with nails to the cross and lifted up on high, reputed among thieves, made to drink gall and vinegar and wounded by a lance; oh, by these most sacred sufferings, which, unworthy as I am, I thus commemorate, and by Thy holy cross and death, deliver me, Lord, from the pains of hell, and deign to lead me where Thou didst lead me where Thou didst lead the penitent thief, who was crucified by Thy side. Who, with the Father and the Holy Ghost, livest and reignest, forever and ever. Amen.

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be to the Father, etc. five times.

Prayer for God's Blessing on our Labors

O Lord, graciously look down upon Thy servants and upon the work of their hands, and do Thou, Who givest food to every creature, bless and preserve the fruits of the earth, that the needy may be filled with good things and that all may praise the glory of Thy bounty. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

For Vocations to the Priesthood
Antiphon. Why stand ye all the day idle, go ye into my vineyard.
V. Ask the Lord of the harvest.
R. That He send laborers into His vineyard.

Let us Pray
God, who willest not the death of the sinner, but rather that he be converted and live; grant, by the intercession of blessed Mary ever Virgin and of all saints, laborers for Thy Church, fellow laborers with Christ, to spend and consume themselves for souls. Through the same Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Spirit, forever and ever. Amen.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2012 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Martha wrote:
Bump because it is coming upon us yet again this year and I intend to celebrate it with abandon!   

kristacecilia wrote:
I keep meaning to try and introduce Ember Days int our family... hasn't happened yet. Maybe this will be the year!

If I am counting right, would they be Sept. 19, 21, and 22 this year?

We have lots of opportunities to begin to incorporate this - as the Ember Days occur 4 times during the year - with every season.   I too would like to be better and more consistent in my awareness and observation of these days each season. Fall and the beginning of the school year seem to be a natural draw to begin. I'm glad this thread has resurfaced at this time for inspiration.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 17 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Bumping.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, September 18, is the beginning of the Fall Ember days for this year.

Ember days this fall are:

September 18 - Ember Wednesday
September 20 - Ember Friday
September 21 - Ember Saturday

Anyone want to share their Ember Day menus?

I have a plan for tomorrow, but I'm still working on Friday and Saturday. I do hope to sit down with my planner tomorrow afternoon and set our menus. I don't like being so far behind!! We'll start the day with Mass tomorrow, with our focus on offering thanksgiving for a rich vintage :: vintage, grapes, wine.

I thought about doing some very grape-focused menus this year. Grapes for lunches, raisins in oatmeal or cereal, wine with dinner . Anyone have any other ideas for incorporating grapes into the menu for these Ember days in thanksgiving for a rich vintage?

Happy Embertide!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2013 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:
Anyone have any other ideas for incorporating grapes into the menu for these Ember days in thanksgiving for a rich vintage?

This is a salad we like!

Silverglade Spinach Salad (modified from Creme de Colorado Cookbook)

6 cups spinach leaves, rinsed & dried
4-6 oz. Cheddar cheese, cut into julienne strips
2 C. seedless grapes, halved

Dressing:

¼ C. cider vinegar
½ C. vegetable oil
2 tsp. light brown sugar
4 slices bacon, fried crisp & crumbled
2 T. sliced green onions (or any chopped onion)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 18 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

That sounds wonderful, Mary! You had me as soon as I saw the bacon in the dressing!!!             I'm adding to my Ember Saturday menu!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2013 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:
That sounds wonderful, Mary! You had me as soon as I saw the bacon in the dressing!!!             I'm adding to my Ember Saturday menu!

Yes, the bacon is delish...

And there is always Waldorf Salad and Chicken Salad Veronique.

Our Domestic Church

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Since it is St. Lucy's day today, that means Advent Embertide is next week, on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. I am excited to be lighting the third advent candle on the wreath this Sunday, the candle of Joy. Hope you all are having a joyous and blessed Advent.
Back to Top View LeeAnn's Profile Search for other posts by LeeAnn Visit LeeAnn's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2014 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

It is late since ember Wednesday was yesterday, but I was, and am, knee deep in kitchen refreshing and decluttering. I had been thinking that I needed to schedule some of my seasonal activities, and duh, it occured to me that the church has done this so well. I decided Ember Days would be perfect for tackling msjor kitchen cleaning which just needs to happen more than once a year! There are some other seasonal activities I would like to tie to ember days, though the kitchen is not leaving much room for much else at present, but I figure that if I get into the seasonal habit, the job won't be so huge esch time.

Anyone else living the Lenten embertide this week?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 13 2014 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

I noticed that "The Old Farmer's Almanac" has Ember Days on their calendar pages and the folklore explanation about the weather of each day being a predictor of the next three months' weather. So supposedly Wednesday's weather (here it was gorgeous, clear and sunny) would predict April, Friday would be May, Saturday would be June.

I pulled the giant, really heavy, carpet out of the living room, moved all the furniture, swept out a pile of dirt, dusted the baseboards, preparing the room for spring/summer weather.

I started some seeds indoors and they are germinating. It's usually not completely safe from frost here (PNW) until end of April, early May, so still a way to go.

Something I have been meaning to do for years is burn up all the Palm Sunday fronds I have collecting in the closet and spread them in the garden. Every year I think, this year, I will burn them before Ash Wednesday and deliver to the church, but I never do, so the other option for sacramentals is to return them to the earth.

Tomorrow is the second day of Lenten Embertide, a Friday in Lent, and while abstaining from meat is required, fasting is something that was traditional on ember days and could be observed as and optional penitential practice.

some things I gathered from a web search...

Wednesday - dedicated to Mary, day of reflection and spiritual orientation

Friday - dedicated to penance, prayer, fasting, almsgiving

Saturday - dedicated to thanking God for received graces and benefits of past three months, prayer for priests and vocations

The point of ember days is to dedicate the seasons and the natural works of the earth to the Lord, to ask His blessing on our planting and harvest, and to renew our spiritual efforts regularly.

Get ready for Spring! Not just the natural one but the supernatural event we call Easter.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 13 2014 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
Anyone else living the Lenten embertide this week?

We are, and it has been nice. It's always a little bit of a challenge to brainstorm menus during an Embertide, but I enjoy the challenge and found a number of nice options for our meatless meals during the day.

Like you, I'm focusing my efforts on particular seasonal projects.

I've been working on windows (especially the dirty window sills and dirty interior space between the glass window and the screen). Mine are deplorable. Last spring, I was big and pregnant, couldn't bend at the waist, and this project did NOT rank high on the priority list. This spring, I have a crawler that is cruising around the windows...and shrieks with joy when finding dead ladybugs.    Soooo...yes...windows. A thorough, deep clean of them.

And, I thought maybe now would be a good time for a seasonal purge of my closet - I'll tackle that this Ember Saturday. It keeps my closet streamlined and easy to maintain. I like things simple in there.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2014 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I forgot how much detail we went into this thread! I should have used this for my research!

I posted a new article on Ember Days at Catholic Culture.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 14 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Advent Ember Days this week. St. Lucy's Day was Saturday, Dec. 13, so December 17, 19, and 20th are ember days.

I wrote a blog post about St. Lucy's Day and the coming ember days here: St. Lucy's Day

Blessed Advent!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version