Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Dictation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 15 2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I'm just wondering if what I understand about dictation is correct. Read a book/story, then have the child tell it back to you in their own words and I write it down. Is that right?

I've done this for the first time last week with my 7 and 5 year olds, but it seems hard for them to remember. The first day I read "The King and His Hawk" from the book, "The Book of Virtues" by William Bennett. Then, the next 2 days I read a page (one each day) about hawks from the Nature's Children series. I understood that you're only supposed to read it once, but that certainly didn't happen the first day, and I had to go over some from the Nature's Children book as well. Am I totally choosing the wrong books to begin with? Should it be something easier?
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2008 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I could be waayyyyyyyy off base. But, I think you are kind of combining Dictation and Narration.

Narration is where you read it, they tell it back. However, if they aren't used to "formal" narration, chances are you will have to prompt. Ask questions, start a conversation about it, etc.

The "read it once" comment is what is making me think dictation - I have heard you are only supposed to "say it once" when your dictating to a child. BUT! I would say, this is a child who already has experience with dictating. Many start out with copywork. Then move "up" to dictating, slowly, and repeating more than once.

Did I help at all?
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 15 2008 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Ohhh, okay. Misunderstanding once again. So, copywork first, then dictation.
Then, can you explain copywork to me? Simply copying phrases? What is the purpose, and why does it come before dictation. I'm just trying to understand this, hope you don't mind...
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2008 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Copywork models good sentence structure, punctuation, grammar, spelling, etc. Also, it gives handwriting practice.    

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2008 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Here are some links on Narration:

Narration Ideas at SCM

CM Method short explanations

Sneaky Narration

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2008 at 12:50am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Syncletica wrote:

Then, can you explain copywork to me? Simply copying phrases? What is the purpose, and why does it come before dictation. I'm just trying to understand this, hope you don't mind...

There's a sort of scope and sequence here -- Christian Classical Education

The idea is that with copywork, you have the model right in front of you, so you can correct yourself right away and learn good grammar, style and vocabulary through your fingertips.

When you are past the stage when you need to look at a source copy, then dictation comes in.    In my high school French class my teacher called it "dictee". You read a sentence or short passage out loud slowly and the child writes down what he hears.   This works with children who are old enough to be able to spell and punctuate with some fluency.   

Some people use middle stages -- "studied dictation" where the child reads a passage and gets comfortable with it before writing down a dictation.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2008 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

OH! This just came to my email box this morning!!! Simply Charlotte Mason is hosting a blog carnival on NARRATION!!!! What timing!!        I hope it helps!

SCM The Art of Narrating Blog Carnival

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Oh, thank you so much everyone!! And those links to those sites! (all of them) Thank you.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version