Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: shelving... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chickpea
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote chickpea

OK, so my next question is on shelving. I'm looking for some nice shelves to put in the learning room - has anyone ever bought Montessori shelving from a Montessori online store (Alisons, montissoriOutlet, etc.)??

What other places have you bought shelving? With or without doors? (I have a post printed out re: toys on the learning room and I *think* I might need doors or a way to lock up the materials when we're not working).

I'm torn between getting really "cheap"/inexpensive shelving for right now (and donating/giving away later), VS. nicer stuff now that my husband and I can use for study/workroom shelving later. does that make sense?

Thoughts on shelving?
Back to Top View chickpea's Profile Search for other posts by chickpea

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My husband builds most of ours, but we do have some Ikea furniture and their cabinets in our kitchen, and I think that the price/quality/options of what they offer is great.

I often get ideas for what I want my husband to build from Pottery Barn Kids and Land of Nod catalogs, but when looking at their stuff in person, I can't see that the quality is as much better than Ikea as the price would indicate.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I bought shoe shelves from the closet organizer section of Target. $10 each and I stack them 3 high. They are nice and shallow and allow for a number of materials to be set out.

Learning Room Shelves

I'd love to have some locking shelves - but alas, it isn't in our budget right now. My dh is working on a way to afix a section of bead board paneling in front of our shelves as a sort of makeshift door for a while while Katie is crawling. If that can't be made to work...we'll just move the materials with little pieces up high.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I love these that a friend just made.

rashfordmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote rashfordmom

Jennifer,
The pictures of your learning room are amazing. Can I come be a student in your "class"?   

I have some of the Target shelves too and we have taken the center shelf out of one set to allow for picture books to be stored sideways. I would really like to have one of those picture book library shelves! Not in the budget this year .

Blessings,

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Tracy, those shelves your friend made are beautiful!

I just ordered the metal inset stand from Montessori Outlet. I'll let you know what I think when it comes in. I was going to order those shoe shelves from Target that Jennifer mentioned, but the shipping was more than the cost of the shelves. (The nearest Target is over an hour a way, and sometimes getting out of the house is a chore. Plus, there's gas to consider...) Montessori Outlet's shipping for this shelf and two other math materials I needed for my 5 yo was cheaper than Target's for laminate shoe shelves!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

chickpea
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote chickpea

Angela, silly question, but are you using the metal inset stand for actual insets? Or are you going to just set out materials on the shelves? (boy, talk about an amateur question )...

thanks everyone else for the responses and pictures....what a great learning room, Jennifer!

chickpea
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote chickpea

Lindsay, what stuff from Ikea do you have?

Terry (yes, the Terry you know )

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

No, not an amateur question! I am actually planning to use it for metal insets (well, my plastic "metal" insets anyway), but it ought to have room for the stuff that goes along with the metal insets -- paper, etc. At least it *looks* like it does. One of the (many) problems I have in setting up an environment in my house is lack of wall space and the weird dimensions of the space that does exist. Since we don't have a learning room and instead have most of our stuff in the living room and dining room, my dh also wants the shelving to look nice. I would MUCH prefer shelving that he built, but he just doesn't have time right now. The metal inset stand seemed like it would fit a number of needs.

If, however, my little guys can't handle keeping the metal insets out in the open like that... I'll find a different use for it!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

chickpea
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote chickpea

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69821398

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Susana

We got some shelves from a few surplus sales of our local public schools. They were used, but still in usable condition and we only paid $5 per shelf! Just a suggestion, you may want to check with your local public school system to see if they have any sales like that in your town. Good luck!

-Susana
My Montessori homeschooling blog:
http://www.montessoricandy.com
Back to Top View Susana's Profile Search for other posts by Susana

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Tracy, I'm totally impressed with Katie's shelves (tried to leave her a comment but it wouldn't let me) the way she explained it sounded totally doable. As soon as I have a learning room I (or rather dh ) will make these.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I finally did it. I put my foot down that I wouldn't go. But then, I, of my own free will, realized that I just had to do it. And I went to IKEA. Oh, did I offer up that day for the holiness of the priests-to-be in seminaries....

I found many great shelves for use in my home (I have a Montessori children's house in one bedroom, as well as the library is in my bedroom) and in the parish atriums... and I need to go back to get a couple more bookshelves for home since they were low on stock when I was there.

They definitely have some space-saving designs - and I stuck with only very inexpensive stuff.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version