Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: Hurricane Gustav Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 02 2008 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

You all are in our prayers.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 02 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Haven't been on the boards the last few days, but I have been and will continue to pray for all of you affected by Gustav.

My family down south is still waiting to receive permission to go back home to South Louisiana to see what kind of damage awaits, and my heart just breaks knowing what's in store, and the kind of angst and imaginings waiting brings.

Praying for your families Colleen, Cay, Natalia, and Jen (marihalojen) and all of you affected by this storm.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2008 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Thank you, all. We are safely back home. The evacuation order was lifted from our parish this morning.

Our area was not damaged at all. Seems we evacuated right into the storm by heading northward. We were without electricity last night. Had we stayed home we would have been fine.

Seems Louisiana is running scared since Katrina and Rita.

The biggest event of our evacuation came last night when we were without electricity, no lights, no air conditioning, tropical storm blowing outside, and Annie got stung by this: Centruroides vittatus .

I'm totally serious. What's weird is she was next to me on the floor. I so wish it would have stung me instead.

Mark stayed down home for work and this was the one time I really needed him. I woke Corey up and he thought I was joking around and then he went into panic mode. He and his friend David took care of the inch-long forager while I put her in the bathtub and Oma got her some ice in a washrag. After giving her some Benedryl, Oma and I sat up with her the rest of the night. The only symptom she had was numbing of her lips. We kept checking her tongue for any signs of swelling.

She's fine now, but I really did rely heavily on all your prayers last night.

Mary,Kayleigh received texts from her friends in Baton Rouge that they were in the dark. I hope your son gets his housing taken care of. It's dreadfully uncomfortable to be without electricity in Aug/Sept. heat.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Oh, Cay! I was just thinking about you. I'm so sorry for poor Annie! My friends dh got stung last weekend in Austin by a scorpion in his shorts! I'm glad she's doing better.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2008 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Praying for you all, Cay. Thank you for updating us.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Sept 02 2008 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Cay, how terrible! I'm so, so glad that Annie is alright!

And still praying for all those hit by Gustav.

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Thank goodness you're OK. I'm stunned that Annie was stung by a scorpion. I think I'd have lost my mind without Brian because he's the one with the cool head.

Did you save the nasty critter in a jar? Certainly would make an interesting er... memento. Homeschoolers...

Got a report back from my auntie in Lafayette - she went to stay with a friend who lives in a brick house, they're headed back to check out their place today. I hope all will be well.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Oh Cay! Poor Annie, I'll bet she'll remember Gustav forever now. He won't blend into all the others in her memory.

We were fine for Gustav, they didn't call for an evacuation down here as we weren't officially in the cone though it was tons worse than Fay ever thought of being! We stayed on the boat for it and it was a tad rocky, let me tell you! We had one gust just after midnight that heeled the boat over to port and held her there long enough that both the silverware and the vaccuum leapt out of their lockers and crashed all over the floor.

Hanna's due in Friday and we're not in the cone for this one either but the winds will be elevated again. But the one I keep obsessively checking is Ike. For the first time since I moved aboard my Mom is coming to visit! I'm supposed to pick her up Tuesday in Ft Lauderdale. Isn't that absurd?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

WE are still Houston. Greg is headed home now to check that power is on and roads are cleared and when he gives the okay will follow my in-laws home. Hopefully by this evening I can sleep in my own bed, although I think the kids may be a tad sad to see their hurricane vacation end. I hope there won't be any others in the near future .

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

nissag wrote:
I'm stunned that Annie was stung by a scorpion.

The first time a friend of mine mentioned seeing a scorpion at Toledo Bend I was stunned too. Like Corey I was in total disbelief.

nissag wrote:
I think I'd have lost my mind without Brian because he's the one with the cool head.

Mark is the cool-headed one too. So is my oldest dd. She slept through the whole thing. I kept my head...this time. I had to. Your prayers rule!

I also had lots of family around. That helps. Corey was in a panic over his little sister and Chelsea was sitting on her air mattress in tears.

It was quite the show-down.

nissag wrote:
Did you save the nasty critter in a jar? Certainly would make an interesting er... memento. Homeschoolers...

No, Corey flushed it down the toilet before I could stop him. But we weren't worried about identification. We've found these little critters at the camp before...usually dead and shriveled up against the baseboards. Evidently this one was trying to get out of the storm as well.

I blame myself. For two nights I opened the sofa sleeper and slept with the two girls alongside of, on top of me...togetherness. We were without electricity (A/C) that night; I didn't feel like having little bodies on top of me. I put the girls on single air mattresses with Kayleigh between them and I threw a nice fluffy quilt on the floor for myself. During this night Annie woke up looking for me. Bad choice.

Another reason for keeping a level head was I had done my research. Ah, homeschoolers.

I knew the stings of these things weren't suppose to be any worse than a wasp sting. Luckily (in its own freakish way) all my children have been stung by a bee or a wasp...just blame that on high country outdoor homeschool living ...so I knew no one was prone to anaphylaxis. We don't tend to have allergies.

Still, no one has ever been stung by a scorpion. That was a bit unsettling, especially when she said her lips were feeling numb.

nissag wrote:
Got a report back from my auntie in Lafayette - she went to stay with a friend who lives in a brick house, they're headed back to check out their place today. I hope all will be well.

We have lots of family members in Lafayette area. Bil had a tree across his driveway and no electricity. Niece's house was fine, no power lost. Still haven't heard from my aunt.

marihalojen wrote:
For the first time since I moved aboard my Mom is coming to visit! I'm supposed to pick her up Tuesday in Ft Lauderdale. Isn't that absurd?

Totally and wickedly absurd, Jennifer.
But, again, we hsers believe in experiencing the "real thing".

missionfamily wrote:
   I hope there won't be any others in the near future .

Ditto! Praying you get back to the comfort of home soon, Colleen.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Everythin is fine at home, but no power, and the utility company told dh it could be three to five more days ...I want to go home...but I'm so relieved everything is fine that I'm trying not to act like a baby about it. Please pray it is back on tomorrow.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thanks so much for your prayers. We are fine in North Louisiana. There was a moment that we thought the remnants of the storm was headed straight for our town but it didn't.
Our role has been more of a support to our friends that had to evacuate. We have been hosting the same family we hosted with Katrina. Thankfully there house is not damage and they are just waiting for the power to be restored to their area before heading home.
Cay, what a scare with the scorpion! Glad to hear that everything is well for you and Colleen.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version