Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Michael's Feast Day Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Does anyone here celebrate St. Michael's feast day at the end of September? This is our first year doing some feasts/festivals and I would really like to know what other families do to celebrate. We are planning to celebrate with 3 other families and I want to plan some really fun and meaningful things. Thanks!

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Betsie - this is such a lovely feast to celebrate. It is one of my son's feast day, so we always celebrate.

Since St. Michael shares the feast day with the other Archangels we have had this collective celebration thread/discussion. There are lots of great ideas here - especially from Kelly and Jenn.

feast of the Archangels

And this one has some bread recipes and coloring pages - St. Michael's Feast Day

I'm anxious to hear of other ideas not previously discussed. Please add any to either thread.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Vanna
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2008 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Vanna

I don't know if this is actually the way you are supposed to celebrate it (I didn't grow up Catholic so we just kind of wing it LOL) but last year we made angel food cake. Get it...angels...lol.

My sons loved it.

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

We have made "angel" meals with angel-hair pasta and angel food cake.

I have a book by Fr. Paul O'Sullivan entitled "All About the Angels." It is published by TAN. While not a children's book per se, you can read aloud passages about angels that you think your children might enjoy.

My boys like acting things out. So they get out the play swords and shields and reenact the great battle where St. Michael led the good angels against those who would not serve God. Great fun!

Although I love Tomie de Paola's books, I would caution against using his Angels, Angels Everywhere. I checked it out last fall, and I was disappointed because it is theologically wrong. Instead of showing how our guardian angel and others watch over us all through the day, he portrayed and "angel of getting dressed" and "angel of breakfast" etc. Really cute and kitschy! But I didn't want to confuse my sons, especially the preschooler.

Don't forget, the feast of the Guardian Angels is right after that, on October 2!

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote dollylima

We are huge fans of St. Michael here at our house! In fact, my son asked if we could call our "school" St. Michael the Archangel school and keeps a St. Michael candle in his room. He used to have me light it when he went to bed, but thankfully now it just remains unburned and I dont have to worry about remembering to go back in and blow it out so it does not burn all night long.
My son went to a Waldorf school before we homeschooled, and they would do a big "feast" (potluck) and sing songs about St. Michael, then the children would have a "festival of courage" where they would "perform feats" like walking on a balance beam and participate in cooperative games. We still sing the songs at home and make a special dinner in honor of St. Michael.
Angel food cake is a great idea!

instantkiwi

Wife to Tim
Mama to Ian 2/27/00
Mama to MaryElise 7/22/08
Step-mom to Abby, Logan and Luke
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

I've waited all year to do this! I came up with this too late last year.

We are getting a Dragon Pinata for the kids to beat!

Fill it with treats, St. Michael holy cards, and medals.

The stick will be shaped or decorated like a sword.

I am so excited.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Michaela wrote:
We are getting a Dragon Pinata for the kids to beat!

Fill it with treats, St. Michael holy cards, and medals.

The stick will be shaped or decorated like a sword.

That's a wonderful idea - very creative!

I'd love to do it with our homeschool group but I'm a little leary of pinatas with large groups as I've always experienced sad kids who didn't get a chance to hit before it breaks.    Will have to think about if I'm brave enough.    

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I made a dragon pinata many years ago to celebrate St. George's day so to celebrate St. Michael, we make a simple paper bag pinata. Fill a paper bag with candy, fold and staple the top and decorate it like a devil. Then everyone gets to take turns "whacking the devil" which is the phrase our kids have used to describe St. Michael's job since my oldest son was little.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2008 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This feast is right around the corner, so I am bumping this thread from earlier in the summer. Included above in this thread is a link to a past thread which is choke full of fabulous ideas for celebrating the day (4 pages worth of ideas!). So check it out if you have not seen them. Please add ideas here and talk about what you are going to be doing.

Jenn has just posted a reminder, too, that Catholic Cuisine will be hosting an Angel Fair as part of the schedule of From Thy Bounty Fairs on Monday. We would love to have you submit ideas, pictures, or links of posts.

We will probably do our traditional "devils food" cake.

Also, enjoying a yummy blackberry drink (because of the blackberry legend). My children are addicted to the Izze sparkling juices. The 17 year old often stops for one after soccer and discovered that the blackberry ones (and only the blackberry flavor) were on sale at Whole Foods a few days ago for $2/4 pack - that is an unheard of price around here. Don't know why it was just that flavor?!!? But we went and stocked up so will definitely be having those on Monday.

So how about you? What are your plans?

Our Domestic Church

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2008 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote nissag

The Catholic Homeschooling Fair I posted yesterday might be of some help to you.

We're doing St. Francis next week! :D

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2008 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

That's my husband's feast day and my daughter's birthday. I'm making a cake for her that is sort of like angel food cake. I made it last year too but the significance didn't even occur to me!

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2008 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We just made a marinade for chicken wings in the crock pot. And, we're doing that crazy devils food cake with the swords poking out of it. i'm sure i'll have lots of fun cleaning THAT up. !!!!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 29 2008 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The Angel installment of From Thy Bounty fair is up.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 29 2008 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

BTW, I have been having such a tough time getting my son to color ANYTHING. But you know, as soon as it involves swords and devils and fire, he's actually begging for more to color!

Included in the fair are cute angels to make. We made three, one for each archangel, adding a sword for Michael. Now we're coloring Charlotte's St. Michael. Gotta love Mother Church having such exciting saints and angels that can inspire little boys!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2008 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

We just finished our . St. Michael fun
We used the cute angels , Charlotte's St Michael, devil's food cake and swords. Perfect for a craft loving, baking loving, sword fighting, devil slaying family with a bunch of wild kids.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version