Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Ignatian/Jesuit activity/craft ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

In my son's ABC of saints, I is for Ignatius of Loyola. I am stuck for a good activity/craft/recipe. Preferably not a recipe, actually - but just something better than "write a letter telling someone about Jesus" which is what I have pencilled in. I haven't been able to do much reading on Saint Ig. and don't know if there is some funny little story that could make a good craft/activity - for example, for St Benedict the activity is just to make a "cave" den, so it doesn't have to be much - I did read that Saint Ig. was in a cave too at one point, but thought two caves in 13 weeks may be a bit too much of a good thing. Any ideas?
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

A famous saying of St. Ignatius is:

"I am God's wheat, and I am to be ground by the teeth of wild beast, so that I may become the pure bread of Christ.”

Okay, perhaps a little dramatic , but perhaps something you can work with.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Cay Gibson wrote:
A famous saying of St. Ignatius is:

"I am God's wheat, and I am to be ground by the teeth of wild beast, so that I may become the pure bread of Christ.”

Okay, perhaps a little dramatic , but perhaps something you can work with.

I love that quote, Cay. But it's from another Ignatius, Ignatius of Antioch, before he was fed to the lions.

Maybe you could switch your Iggy?

Ignatius of Loyola was a soldier, and his leg was injured. It healed incorrectly, so he didn't look good when he walked, so he had it rebroken and set. His convalescence time was long, and the only books around him were a life of Jesus and lives of the saints. And reading those helped bring him to conversion.

An interesting thing I found out about older Jesuit churches is that there is an IHS found on the front of the church, usually high on top. A Dutch friend of mine pointed that out, that you could figure out the original Jesuit churches by that insignia.

Also learning about the A.M.D.G., Ad maiorem Dei gloriam or ad majorem Dei gloriam (All for the Greater Glory of God) dedication for your work would be a wonderful practice.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

For recipes, MaryM and Matilda posted some on Catholic Cuisine. The Nachos are particularly easy.
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JennGM wrote:

I love that quote, Cay. But it's from another Ignatius, Ignatius of Antioch, before he was fed to the lions.

Maybe you could switch your Iggy?

Oh, dear, I first heard that quote at an Ignatian Retreat where we are guided through the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola.

A lay spiritual director shared the quote and I loved it and wrote it down. I might have incorrectly assumed it was St. Ignatius of Loyola. Or perhaps the lay spiritual director did.

Talk about misguided information.

I'll take the blame on this one.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I didn't mean to embarrass you, Cay. It's an easy mistake, and after all, Ignatius of Loyola was probaby named after Ignatius of Antioch!

I was just thinking Lucy could switch Iggys if she wanted an exciting one!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Make swords!!   Do you have any old boxes? You can paint the cardboard and decorate them with the IHS's and AMDG's as Jenn suggests.

By the way, my sister is married to a Spaniard named Ignatio whom we call "Nacho" and they just had a baby on the 3rd that they named Ignatius Francis.... and we will call "Iggy!!" He missed the feast day by just 3 days!!

I love the Spanish Jesuit saints!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Thanks ladies! You're all so great! I think we'll do an IHS craft - and I can't believe I didn't think of AMDG: I often write that on DS's "work" when he is having a bad day!
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Lucy, I do hope you'll be willing to share this ABC -- it sounds fantastic. Pretty please?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version