Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Assumption Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

Any suggestions on book or activities to celebrate the Assumption with young children?
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

We are going to plant a "mary garden"... *terrarium* in her honor.

From Rainbow Resources I ordered the plants of the Bible Terrarium. It's not really the season to plant things outdoors right now, but I thought we could have fun watching this indoor garden grow.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We're going to have a procession in her honor with a banner we made a couple of years ago, and then bless the herb garden and flower gardens with holy water. We'll have an afternoon tea with spiced tea and maybe spice cookies (not sure yet on the cookies) because the Bible says Our Lady is like sweet spices. We'll be setting out a number of art pieces we have of Our Lady's Dormition and her Assumption for discussion during tea time.

We can't wait!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Apparently it's traditional to have herbs blessed on the feast of the Assumption. As Providence would have it, we went to a secular workshop on herbs on the 15th August last year! You can make really nice wreaths with herbs and ribbons, or simple herb soaps with lavendar or rosemary and grated soap mushed together. Also herb butters/herb teas.

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Would love to hear how everyone else is celebrating, regardless of the age of your children!
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Last year we made Marian Windsocks-- not really windsocks for outdoors (we hung ours inside), but the kids liked making them and they were really pretty! We took empty oatmeal containers, and covered them with pretty blue paper (scrapbook paper or even construction paper would work). I found a coloring page of the assumption of Mary, and the kids each colored one. Then, they cut it out and pasted it onto the oatmeal container (the oatmeal container should be upside down). We hung pretty blue streamers from the bottom, and added cotton balls all around Mary (to show her being assumed into heaven). Then we used string to hang them from the ceiling. I wish I had a photo to show you- these came out really cute! I think we'll make them again this year. You could even make mini versions of this with empty yogurt containers(or something similar).
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The Solemnity of the Assumption is Friday!

See last year's Craft project.

I'm incorporating herbs and fruits into our feast. our recipes at Catholic Cuisine. I'm also trying to make some simple lavender sachets, which will double duty as gifts. I'm trying to keep them simple enough so that ds can fill them and then practice some stitching to close them up.

Getting them ready to do tomorrow....
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

hsmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote hsmom

Well we're not being original, just using some of the great ideas from here. We'll be having spice cake with tea using the cake recipe from 'Tea and Cake with the Saints'. If it's not too late we may add a spice to the Mary Garden we started this spring. And, I am planning on doing the craft that's posted here:

JennGM wrote:

Back to Top View hsmom's Profile Search for other posts by hsmom

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

JennGM wrote:

I'm incorporating herbs and fruits into our feast. our recipes at Catholic Cuisine. I'm also trying to make some simple lavender sachets, which will double duty as gifts. I'm trying to keep them simple enough so that ds can fill them and then practice some stitching to close them up.

Getting them ready to do tomorrow....

The salad looks delicious, Jenn. I'm going to make it tomorrow. I posted a few easy herbal recipes on my blog as well.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ruth wrote:
The salad looks delicious, Jenn. I'm going to make it tomorrow. I posted a few easy herbal recipes on my blog as well.

Fun! I did post our sachets. My son is very pleased.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Everything looks so lovely. I really like how your sachets turned out, Jenn.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

pixilated_momma
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2008 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote pixilated_momma

JennGM wrote:

I just wanted to send a very big THANK YOU for the triptych craft idea.

Our homeschooling group did this project this afternoon, and the children really had a wonderful time! It was a sweet celebration, so thank you!

Back to Top View pixilated_momma's Profile Search for other posts by pixilated_momma Visit pixilated_momma's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version