Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: World Literature Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lavenderfields
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 28 2008 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote Lavenderfields

My 10th grader will be studying World History this year. For Literature, I would like him to study World Literature. Do you have any suggestions?

God Bless
Robynn
Back to Top View Lavenderfields's Profile Search for other posts by Lavenderfields

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Chari

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Orzcky (sp?)

David Copperfield, Tale of Two Cities, Martin Chuzzlewut by Dickens...or any other Dickens

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, or any other

Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte

Julius Caesar, Henry V, Macbeth by Shakespeare

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Doyle

The Ballad of the White Horse (poetry) by Chesterton

Father Brown Stories by Chesterton

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Treasure Island by RL Stevenson

Ivanhoe by Scott

Captain's Courageous by Rudyard Kipling

Beowulf

Chaucer's Canterbury tales.....adaptations okay

Murder in the Cathedral by TS Eliot

CS Lewis' Space Trilogy

Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne

Tennyson's Poetry, esp The Lady of Shallot

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green

gee.....this is mostly British.......are there any other authors in other countries......that are translated into English?

.....put together by yours truly and Willa, too!   

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

The Three Musketeers or The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Don Quixote (for advanced readers - it's long but hilarious) by Miguel de Cervantes

The Path to Rome by Hillaire Belloc (nonfiction)

Red Scarf Girl by Ji-Li Jiang (easier reading level but very intense book - my son read it in a night)

Excellent list, Chari and Willa! I plan to steal it.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Robynn

I got some great suggestions here and at the bottom I found a whole lot of teenage lists.

Some Australian titles for an older child only that come straight to mind are;

A Hard God- Peter Kenna (A Play)

I would recommend that you read and discuss this together. So much he will not get unless you help him draw it out. (Actually you should read first to check that it fits with your family culture)
I remember being fascinated in grade 10 by it, the play is based on an Irish Catholic family, the young teenage boy struggles with 'the world' and making sense of his part, coming to terms with his Catholicism and all it embraces. Sin and consequences is a big part of his struggle, he has a homosexual encounter with another boy, this is mentioned not acted out (I'd have to read it again as an adult as I just didn't get it all then ) anyway lots of Catholic meaning in this, Confession, redemption etc

"We just have to stumble on blindly" says Martin, head of the embattled Cassidy family "with His mercy raining down on us like thunderbolts"
Memories of his own Irish Catholic childhood people the stage in Peter Kenna's famous study of youth and age in a working class family as suffers the pangs of love, death adolescence and survival in the Sydney of the 1940's.
Written in 1973 "A Hard God" has become an icon of Australian literature and has been performed many times on stage, film and television, There are two things about this play which make it a piece to which Australians respond profoundly. The first is the Irish Catholic nature of the family; the second is the ever-present imagery of dislocation.

Merry-Go-Round in the Sea by Randolph Stow is an Australian novel. Set in the late 1940s.
"Semi-autobiographical, yet not a self-portrait, this story of a boy growing up as part of an Australian clan in a small town and the country around it marvelously evokes a sense of the identity of Australia, its history and its fate."
Read this one first I vaguely remember that there may be something a bit strange in it too.
To be really honest alot of Australian literature can be a bit dark, disturbing in some ways.

If you want Chinese books (we are studying China for Geography at present) I would add to Nancy's list;
Mao's Last Dancer - Li Cunxin (ed. adapted for younger readers)
Ties that Bind, Ties That Break- Lensey Namioka

And for Around the World
this site (generously shared here recently) has some great titles for teens for different countries (scroll down page) and I love scrolling
this site for great book recommendations. Click on the Geography and History Links especially.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Also look at the Sonlight British Literature list - very good, a good mix, with some humour ( like P.G. Wodehouse) mixed in...

Lavenderfields
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote Lavenderfields

Chari and Willa thank you for the list. It looks great. Nancy thank you for adding your thoughts, they look great too. Erin, I am definitely going to try to get your first book, thank you. Ah Leonie, I didn't think of looking there, but I will, thank you.

For some reason, I was just drawing a blank. Now I have some great suggestions.

God Bless
Robynn
Back to Top View Lavenderfields's Profile Search for other posts by Lavenderfields

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version