Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Home economics course - the details Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 28 2008 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I am planning how exactly to fit in a home economics course into our schedule. My inspiration for content comes from this threadand Jen

But I have to write detailed plans - I have many of the resources, but unless I have a schedule I know I will not fit it in. I am working on it today. I would love to know how you are going to do it - eg one afternoon a week, one day a month, how your notebook is going to look etc

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Marilyn,
I'm on board...

My girls will be doing Keepers at Home once a month with friends. I also try to focus on keeping the 4-H projects home-ec-centered. Outside of that we'll probably do things here at home.

I'll be gleaning from Alice Cantrell's Tea and Cake with the Saints: A Catholic Young Lady's Introduction to Hospitality and the Home Arts book (and perhaps squeeze in a RL visit to Alice's home ) and I want to get a copy of the Little Women's Hospitality Program. A hs friend of mine has it and loves it. And it's Catholic. I think Ecce Homo is the publisher and a new, updated version of it should be available this month.

My friend Karen thought of doing a program using it with the girls but she's expecting a baby in September and we're not sure about adding something else to our plans...outside of home, I mean.

I have also printed out Jennifer'sSt. Martha's Apron Strings to go in our housekeeping book.

I can't wait to read other's thoughts.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 28 2008 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Cay Gibson wrote:
and I want to get a copy of the Little Women's Hospitality Program. A hs friend of mine has it and loves it. And it's Catholic. I think Ecce Homo is the publisher and a new, updated version of it should be available this month.

I ordered this from Emmanuel back in June. Should be here soon. Joan Stromberg is the author.I'm waiting to map things out until I have this. Then, I'm going to focus mostly on this resource and Alice Cantrell's book. I heard that Alice Gunther's book is a hospitality guide too. I haven't read it yet, but I might pull from parts of that as well. And then there are the Mary Frances books I mentioned in the other thread...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 28 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh dear, Marilyn. I haven't posted on St. Martha's Apron Strings in a little while because of all the traveling I've been doing. I long to get back to it!

My plans are to focus on one topic a month - longer if needed or requested by my dd. Her notebook will be the first thing we work on as well as a novena or novena of prayers to St. Martha to start off the course.

Each family could choose to spend as little or as long as they like on individual topics.

My schedule is quite loose because my dd is very excited to begin and is quite self-motivated - so this is just a loose reference for me - I'll follow her lead on this discerning where she'd like to spend more or less time and needs more or less reinforcement.

S. will read selections from resources in the afternoons 3 or 4 days of the week (of course, she's free to read more often and usually does so.) We'll discuss. Friday afternoons will be set aside for projects and skill development - cooking skills, sewing instruction, invitation writing and tea planning, etc. She'll spend the rest of the week practicing that skill on her own time - *real life*!

We're not limited by these times. S. is already spending more and more time in the kitchen and as she develops and cultivates a skill she uses it more and more on her own. And...she's fallen in love with the Mary Frances books and whisked several of them away off my shelves and into her bedroom for reading over the summer. She says she longs to return to them again though!

I'm still working on the order I plan to present skills, but so far this is what I'm doing...

August and September - St. Martha's Notebook and Making the Home a Haven

October - Tending the Kitchen

November - First Aid Skills (Post Coming Soon!)

December - Hospitality and Etiquette (I thought this would be appropriate to discuss this month! - Post coming soon!)

January - Personal accounts and money management skills (Post coming soon!)

February - Sewing, Knitting, Crocheting - Handwork skills (Post coming soon!)

March and April - Gardening Fun

May - Choosing the Better Part. I'd like to do a post on devotions, virtue and cultivating and nurturing a prayer life with an eye towards vocation discernment for the last in my series. I've also thought a little about discussing and starting a hope chest for the last month - we could spend the summer hunting for a chest and starting a list of desired items to add to S.'s hope chest.

I can't wait to get back to posting in this series...it's been a joy for me to put together with St. Martha's help. I'm so glad if you find anything useful in it, Marilyn! I'm happy to share!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Elizabeth wrote:
Cay Gibson wrote:
and I want to get a copy of the Little Women's Hospitality Program. A hs friend of mine has it and loves it. And it's Catholic. I think Ecce Homo is the publisher and a new, updated version of it should be available this month.

I ordered this from Emmanuel back in June. Should be here soon. Joan Stromberg is the author.I'm waiting to map things out until I have this. Then, I'm going to focus mostly on this resource and Alice Cantrell's book. I heard that Alice Gunther's book is a hospitality guide too. I haven't read it yet, but I might pull from parts of that as well. And then there are the Mary Frances books I mentioned in the other thread...

Ooh - I love the look of the Little Women's program - I think I am going to have to get it. We are going to have to save up for the Mary Frances books - where is the best place to get them?

Elizabeth - I wish we lived a little closer - it would have been so nice to have the girls working on this together.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Jen - thanks for the information. I am going to come up with a monthly plan too.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MarilynW wrote:
We are going to have to save up for the Mary Frances books - where is the best place to get them?

Marilyn I have the sewing, knitting and crochet and gardening if you want to look at them/use them for a bit?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Mary G wrote:
MarilynW wrote:
We are going to have to save up for the Mary Frances books - where is the best place to get them?

Marilyn I have the sewing, knitting and crochet and gardening if you want to look at them/use them for a bit?

Mary - it still gives me a surprise to remember you are local!!

Well - we just have to fix a day for you to visit - whenever is good for you - our schedule is fairly open for August. Let me know...Abby is very excited to meet the "knitting lady"....

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2008 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

The Little Women's Program is now available from Ecce Homo. I was planning on only getting the teacher manual as we will be doing a Home Management notebook. Does anyone believe that the student book is necessary?

Thanks

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Lots of lovely books and ideas on the art of homemaking by Lady Lydia at Home Living. And isn't her desk just to die for. I would love to have a quaint desk like this for my girls. Our computer desk just doesn't set the same ambiance.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 31 2008 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

You know how we did home ec this past year? We joined 4-H. Our neighborhood group focuses on home economics and crafts. It's only once a month and my older three girls all participated. They baked, made soup, crafted a Christmas card basket, sewed a few basic things, learned about digital photography and framing, and much more.

This week is our county fair and all three of my girls entered baked goods, sewing projects, photos, and drawings/paintings. I can't wait to get to the fair to see if they've won any ribbons!

Want to bring Abby out here once a month and join our group???

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 31 2008 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Cay Gibson wrote:
Lots of lovely books and ideas on the art of homemaking by Lady Lydia at Home Living. And isn't her desk just to die for. I would love to have a quaint desk like this for my girls. Our computer desk just doesn't set the same ambiance.

I know, Cay! That desk is so lovely and inspiring! I've been watching out for something lovely in the thrift shops around town - something a crisp coat of pretty paint would brighten up. I've been wishing for a writing desk for a little while now!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version