Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: When to introduce Latin? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 19 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

We were thinking of starting Latin early, using CDs (music and speech) and dabbling a bit in learning fun stuff to say, plus in working on memorising prayers in Latin that are already firmly in place in English (by just starting to say the prayers in Latin at morning prayer time, and in English at night for example, not hours spent chanting in a "lesson")

Is 4 to young?
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

momto2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 19 2008 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote momto2

I am wondering the same thing. I have seen(not in person) the Sing Song Latin program but I think it starts at K.
Back to Top View momto2's Profile Search for other posts by momto2

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 19 2008 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Hmmm....i've thought about this for a while too. I'd like to start on Latin with them but in a fun way. I dont want to overwhelm myself this year and we're already adding a science program. My dc are 5yo and 6yo. Any other suggestions?

momto2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 19 2008 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote momto2

momto2 wrote:
I am wondering the same thing. I have seen(not in person) the Sing Song Latin program but I think it starts at K.

Oops....its called Song School Latin. They have sample pages, sample songs and free pronunciation audio!
Back to Top View momto2's Profile Search for other posts by momto2

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 21 2008 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

I've been doing nursery rhymes in Latin with Puggle since late last year (they're all linked from my blog). He really enjoys them, and so do I:-) I have no idea how it will impact on our future Latin studies, but in terms of building the habit as part of our day, and building familiarity, I think it's working.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2008 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

The Lingua Angelica CD is one of my favorite resources -- we have learned most of the simpler chants/hymns (Dona Nobis Pacem, Christus Vincit, Salve Regina), plus worked on special chants for liturgical seasons -- my littles love Resonet in Laudibus at Christmastime, and we've done verses of the Stabat Mater during Lent. Many of these we just sing as part of evening prayers, or even as lullabies. We also say our Table Blessing in both Latin and English.

I love doing real-life Latin!

Sally

Mamamoon
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 21 2008 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mamamoon

anyone have any experience with minimus? it looks like sort of a fun/gentle intro?
lisa

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

Hi,

I'm just wondering whether anyone has followed this up any more?

I'm looking to do a little more with Puggle this year, and I have been considering Song School Latin. I haven't been able to find many reviews of it (actually, only one, and it wasn't very favourable at all)—and I was hoping some of you might have some feedback:-)

I'm thinking the other obvious option is probably Prima Latina (or possibly Sattler's Elementary Latin... but I can find even less information about that!) but I'm not so sure that it would be a good match for us.

Puggle is 4 1/2, so I'm not looking for an intense programme, just something to move us on a bit from our nursery rhymes (although, if it did include some grammar chants, I wouldn't object:-) ).

I am considering that we will most likely use Minimus, Lively Latin or Latin for Children in the next few years, so, possibly another alternative might be to start with this very slowly? Does anyone have any experience with young children (like younger siblings ) with any of these programmes?

Fe

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Most of the Latin programs I've perused appear to require at least a minimal amount of reading and writing skills, which are not appropriate for little ones (I'm thinking 3-5).

I started my son from before birth - we just pray some of our prayers in Latin, attend Latin-spoken Masses when we can (TLM and NO), say some lines in Latin, sing some songs - that sort of thing. We LOVE Lingua Angelica - but just listen to the music for now, along with other Latin chants and hymns.

My son is reading and writing now, but not to the point of doing it in a foreign language. I had created some Montessori materials for him, but even those won't really be appropriate until he's 5 or so (he's 4 1/2 now). So it's all spoken right now.

I'd love to get some books in Latin (there are many! Dr. Seuss and others!) that are also on tape/CD. Anyone seen something like this? To have familiar stories and not JUST my own voice reading!

So my recommendation would be to start learning some familiar prayers in Latin and labeling familiar objects in Latin. Just to get that familiarity going....

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

My little ones--all the way downt to the 2 yo--enjoy the audio CD from our Latin for Children program and love to say things like, "May I be excused from the mensa please?" However, I believe their interest is really because the older kids are doing it. I wouldn't (and didn't) pursue it in any academic way sooner.

Starting with the oldest in 4th grade has been perfect for us. They can memorize the vocabulary with ease and are just at the age where they can understand the grammar too. The grammar is a little challenging and for my kids that has been a bonus. If they were to get too frustrated, I would wait a year and maybe just work on vocab and conjugations/declensions this year.

HTH!

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

We started with prayers in Latin (and still do them this way at night). We also sing some songs in Latin that are in the current liturgical season.
I have been using Song School Latin with the younger ones and they really like it a lot. I would highly! recommend it for a no pressure intro to Latin. If you have specific questions, let me know. By the way, the student book is enough for us. I did not order any teacher materials and am having no problems.

God bless,
Christine

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 6:03am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

What wonderful ideas & suggestions!

We've been praying the Rosary in Latin for several years. That's a sure-fire way to get the little ones to learn their prayers.

4th grade has been a good time to start a program for us as well, although I can see starting Prima Latina with the little ones.

We really love Lively Latin. Our dc have been able to work on it much more independently than when we were using Latina Christiana. I have my 5-year-old very good reader test her 9-year-old sister on her flashcards.

Just for the record, we've been VERY pleased with the Henle Latin classes offered by Memoria Press. My ds (14) is taking it for the 2nd year and loves his teacher (Mr. Moore). We'd like him to continue another 2 years. I should mention that another ds took LCII & was not as happy with his teacher.

After finishing Lively Latin, I think the Memoria Press Henle I class would be quite do-able for a 5th grader.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Formal Latin is not usually recommended until the child is reading well -- 2nd grade or so, depending on the child.   Even then it should be a slow introduction and mostly oral -- songs and conversation, prayers. Fourth grade is usually the time when a more serious study can begin.

For oral Latin, I don't really see any reason why it can't be begun before birth or any time after, as CatholicMommy said. In fact, in families where Latin is already part of the culture it would be hard NOT to expose the little ones to some Latin.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

BrendaPeter wrote:
What wonderful ideas & suggestions!

We've been praying the Rosary in Latin for several years. That's a sure-fire way to get the little ones to learn their prayers.

4th grade has been a good time to start a program for us as well, although I can see starting Prima Latina with the little ones.

We really love Lively Latin. Our dc have been able to work on it much more independently than when we were using Latina Christiana. I have my 5-year-old very good reader test her 9-year-old sister on her flashcards.

Just for the record, we've been VERY pleased with the Henle Latin classes offered by Memoria Press. My ds (14) is taking it for the 2nd year and loves his teacher (Mr. Moore). We'd like him to continue another 2 years. I should mention that another ds took LCII & was not as happy with his teacher.

After finishing Lively Latin, I think the Memoria Press Henle I class would be quite do-able for a 5th grader.

Which Henle class is your son enrolled in? I'm considering this for my oldest two dd's next year.

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Hi Martha,

Last year my ds took Henle I which covered Units 1 & 2. This year he's taking Henle II (middle school) which covers Units 3-5.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version